Ford Performance and lack of Performance Numbers

sonic cobra

Established Member
Speaking for myself, i was looking for something to replace my beloved '03 Cobra and tried to approach the process with an open mind. Looked at a number of options including the hellcat, BMW M4, Caddy ATS-V , Audi RS5 and others.
Was interested in the GT350 from the very beginning, but never actually cross shopped it since there just wasn't any real performance data available.
So Ford never really seemed interested in "making their case" to me as a prospective performance car buyer.
There's a thriving competitive, market out there for enthusiasts like myself, so I went ahead and made my purchase elsewhere, after comparing all the market information available to me. I doubt I'm the only one.

Put another way, Ford never even participated in the process.

I would remind Ford of that old lottery saying : "You can't win, if you don't play"

Of course they will sell everyone they make. just like the salesman told me back in 03 when i refused to pay the $5000 ADM for a Cobra "If you don't buy it, someone else will"

bpmurr

Established Member
Speaking for myself, i was looking for something to replace my beloved '03 Cobra and tried to approach the process with an open mind. Looked at a number of options including the hellcat, BMW M4, Caddy ATS-V , Audi RS5 and others.
Was interested in the GT350 from the very beginning, but never actually cross shopped it since there just wasn't any real performance data available.
So Ford never really seemed interested in "making their case" to me as a prospective performance car buyer.
There's a thriving competitive, market out there for enthusiasts like myself, so I went ahead and made my purchase elsewhere, after comparing all the market information available to me. I doubt I'm the only one.

Put another way, Ford never even participated in the process.

I would remind Ford of that old lottery saying : "You can't win, if you don't play"

Of course they will sell everyone they make. just like the salesman told me back in 03 when i refused to pay the $5000 ADM for a Cobra "If you don't buy it, someone else will"

You have a completely valid point of view. The more data the better when making a purchasing decision. There is a lot of quality competition in the performance car space. While I bleed blue I'm not blindly loyal to Ford.

I really like how SRT is approaching their performance car marketing. I remember when they released the Challenger and Charger performance data. Everyone on the GT500 area of the forum was upset and saying SRT was lying and it was a fat pig (it is a porker, just a fast one). After a few owners posted bad track times it helped fuel that fire. When owners had more time with the car they posted as good if not better times than SRT and it has sustained hype around the car with the general public.

SRT has controlled the narrative around the Hellcat from day one and looks to be doing the same for the ACR. While the Mustang community is hyped about the GT350 the buzz can die off pretty quick with some more crappy performance numbers from the mags. I'm really shocked that Ford doesn't want to control the narrative about their product and leaving it in the hands of others.

Last edited:

AZBOSS

Established Member
I hear what you are saying, but all the performance numbers in the world didn't help the Viper from going extinct...again.

bpmurr

Established Member
I hear what you are saying, but all the performance numbers in the world didn't help the Viper from going extinct...again.

Yeah, but the Viper is more a victim of it's price/performance ratio. It started off way too expensive and barely beat the new Vette. SRT is trying to sent it out right with the ACR.

At least they learned their lesson about the price/performance ratio on the Hellcats.

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
Ford not releasing performance numbers is fine. Waiting forever to allow third parties to test it and publish the numbers is complete bull shit.

It's not like you can go test drive one to see if you like it/see what it feels like. As third party testing of the C7 Z06 has shown, some independent reviews are important.

Ford has really ****ed the regular S550, it is seriously getting it's ass kicked by the new SS. I guess they don't want the Chevy guys to be able to proclaim the GT350 barely out does it in a straight line. I know, I know, it's a track car, forget about the 1/4, yeah right. As the Hellcat has proven, there are plenty of people that value acceleration bench marks, and will buy a car on that basis. When these things hit the streets, if video after video surface on youtube of these cars getting drug up and down the street by regular C7s, and worst of all Camaros, not to mention not even being worthy of being lined up with C7 Z06s and Hellcats, the bloom will be off the rose.

Last edited:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Jesus... it's not getting its ass kicked by some car.

GT vs SS..yes... that's gonna be a slaughter... nobody in their right man should argue otherwise.

But...

If the non R track pack beats everything in the Camaro arsenal...(c5 and 6) minus the c5Z....how is that a failure.

I had a bigger speech laied out...phone relladed...alll you got wa boozinz

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I had a bigger speech laied out...phone relladed...alll you got wa boozinz

gif-what.gif

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm actually fine with Ford not publishing any numbers. It would all be claimed as BS by everyone anyways.

Independent reviews and verified numbers are more important. Wait till it is competing in races and let that speak for itself. Sure it doesn't help pre-sales, but it will prove itself after a year on the market. I bet Ford is playing the long game on such an investment as the FPC 5.2 Voodoo.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Vorshlag also stated that the stock S550 GTPP has been significantly faster than the stock Boss.

ProblemHouston

Established Member
If the S550 is in fact faster than a stock Boss why would we even question Fords statements about how the GT350 compairs to other cars. They were right then and I would assume they are right now.

hognutz

Established Member
I am disappointed in the acceleration for sure unless the first tests were just bad surface and or driver. I was hoping for more C7 like numbers not boss 302 numbers. I don't care if ford puts the numbers out I am just shocked at the limited tests published to date. This is one of the slowest roll outs of info I have ever seen. back in 12 when I was looking GT500 or Zl1 the info was out before the cars where in people hands third party. I was able to look at vbox data on lagna seca laps on both cars before people had them.

The zl1 was crucified on this forum for being a 12 second 55k car so it just confirms that the internet is full of brand biased hypocrites not like that is a surprise to anyone though ha ha.

If I did not have kids I can't see buying this car over a C7. I would rather have it over an SS for sure but $$$ for performance to date it is not killing it for me. it is not bad but a Zl1 was faster than boss 302 around a track for 55k and that is 3 year old design that mustang folks hated.

styling, interior, hoepfully lap times, etc I think the car smokes zl1 or boss 302 though.

rwboring

Established Member
I am disappointed in the acceleration for sure unless the first tests were just bad surface and or driver. I was hoping for more C7 like numbers not boss 302 numbers. I don't care if ford puts the numbers out I am just shocked at the limited tests published to date. This is one of the slowest roll outs of info I have ever seen. back in 12 when I was looking GT500 or Zl1 the info was out before the cars where in people hands third party. I was able to look at vbox data on lagna seca laps on both cars before people had them.

The zl1 was crucified on this forum for being a 12 second 55k car so it just confirms that the internet is full of brand biased hypocrites not like that is a surprise to anyone though ha ha.

If I did not have kids I can't see buying this car over a C7. I would rather have it over an SS for sure but $$$ for performance to date it is not killing it for me. it is not bad but a Zl1 was faster than boss 302 around a track for 55k and that is 3 year old design that mustang folks hated.

styling, interior, hoepfully lap times, etc I think the car smokes zl1 or boss 302 though.

... so far the only thing ive seen is that the GT350 got 1 mph higher trap and slightly slower 1/4 time then the ZL1 but it is also priced UNDER 50, not 55... so it is on par with the performance (a drivers race) for 5k less... I'd say that's a win...

keep in mind while performance matters the biggest thing is sales. Through august this year the Mustang was up over 50% in sales and the Camaro was down about 13%... just like in anything money is what drives it and ford is going to have all the GT350's sold where GM is dropping waaaaay below MSRP to sell their "performance" Camaro

krt22

Established Member

A lot of the buyers interested int he GT350 arent really interested in the C7, ZL1, or even the Boss 302. Its has a much different appeal

ProblemHouston

Established Member
A lot of the buyers interested int he GT350 arent really interested in the C7, ZL1, or even the Boss 302. Its has a much different appeal

If this were a basic S550 with S/C on it and was quite fast I would not be interested in it. This car is different enough from a GT that I am just in love with everything about it and I was crazy in love with the S550 when it came out.

krt22

Established Member
Where did chevy post those numbers? They have a 3.7 0-60 on the page, I dont see any other numbers

either way, the numbers are right inline with the GT350 TP, yet the GT350 TP is 10k less than a similarly equipped C7 (1LT, Z51, MR, Comp Seats). Not bad if you ask me

Users who are viewing this thread