EditorTurner

Established Member
0-Ford-Performance-Wins-Featured.jpg

Weekend Warriors
Blue Oval machines took several wins over the weekend, including Le Mans
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Performance

If your dad is a Blue Oval fan, he undoubtedly had his Father’s Day wish granted over the weekend. Not only did Ford Performance return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans 50 years later and win with the new Ford GT, but its vehicles took home victories in Formula Drift and Global Rallycross on the same weekend.

Of course, the biggie was Le Mans. Ford pushed all its chips in and bet on blue for another win at the prestigious endurance race in France. In just over a year the Ford GT went from a glimmer in a designer’s eye to a highly competitive race car that out-dueled Ferrari on the world stage just as its predecessor did back in 1966.

“This is an historic moment for the Ford Motor Company,” said Bill Ford, executive chairman, Ford Motor Company. “We dared to dream that we could return to Le Mans, 50 years after the incredible 1966 win, and take on the toughest competition in the world. The pride we all felt when the Ford GT crossed the line at Le Mans is indescribable. The team that designed, built and raced the Ford GT has worked tirelessly to bring us to this result and I am proud of each and every one of them. The Ford Chip Ganassi Racing team demonstrated the spirit of Ford, that of innovation, determination and true teamwork. We cherish our history and heritage, but today we made history again and I couldn't be more proud.”

Not only did the number 68 Ford GT driven by Sébastien Bourdais, Joey Hand and Dirk Müller cross the finish line in first place, but the 69 car landed on the podium in third place and the 66 car finished in third. Despite a host of issues including a wonky transmission, the 67 Ford finished in a respectable ninth place in the GTE Pro class.

Here’s a look back at the highlights of the win...

[video=youtube;mzVDgDOBXLU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzVDgDOBXLU[/video]

You can also go for a 360-degree ride at Le Man in the Ford GT here…

[video=youtube;o__fkWrp4WE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o__fkWrp4WE[/video]

“Building a new car and racing it at Le Mans is a monumental task,” commented Mark Fields, president and chief executive officer, Ford Motor Company. “We took it on and we conquered the biggest challenge in sportscar racing: the Le Mans 24 Hours. It has been incredible to share this event with our dealers, owners, employees, sponsors and guests who are all bursting with pride at being part of the Ford family. Every manufacturer in the GTE Pro class fought with everything they had in the best competitive spirit, and we are thrilled to have played our part in this incredible race.”

The Ford GT deservedly stole the spotlight, but its victory wasn’t the only one Ford Performance collected over the weekend. The Professional Fun Haver himself, Vaughn Gittin Jr., collected his second Formula Drift victory of the season in New Jersey and his ninth win in Formula D competition.

After qualifying in the fourth spot with a score of 91, JR made his way through the 32-car field to face his Drift Alliance teammate, Chris Forsberg, in the finals.

Here are some highlights of Vaughn’s win...

[video=youtube;WFaLh8r_Qa4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFaLh8r_Qa4[/video]

“We’ve been working so hard developing this brand new Mustang RTR and getting it ready for Formula Drift. This year, I feel so connected with this new car,” Vaughn Gittin Jr. said. “I’m just driving as hard as I can, my team and I are working as hard as we can, and to leave here in the fourth round leading the Championship, being the most winningest driver in Formula Drift history just feels amazing. I’m so appreciative for the amazing support that I get from my friends, family, and partners!”

While Vaughn was re-taking the championship points lead in the Garden State, another of Chip Ganassi Racing’s teams topped a podium at Daytona International Speedway. Rallycross driver Steve Arpin and teammate Brian Deegan piloted their Ford Fiesta STs to a one-two finish is the first round of Red Bull Global Rallycross at the historic speedway.

“It was an awesome feeling to be able to put our Ford Fiesta in victory lane for Chip Ganassi here at Daytona International Speedway. Racing for such an iconic team owner at the most iconic race track in the world…to be able to add to that history is incredible,” Steve said.“To race a Ford Fiesta in the same weekend that Ford is bringing the Ford GT back to Le Mans 50 years later and to be able to cheer the victory with them is an honor.”

In all it was an amazing weekend for the Ford Performance racing teams.

1-Ford-Performance-Wins.jpg

Fifty years after the historic 1-2-3 finish at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Ford returned to the race and the number 68 Ford GT won, while the number 69 Ford GT finished in third.

2-Ford-Performance-Wins1.jpg

Vaughn Gittin Jr. won his second Formula Drift event of the season at The Wall in New Jersey this weekend and returned to the championship points lead.

3-Ford-Performance-Wins.jpg

Steve Arpin and Brian Deegan finished in first and second place in the first round of a Red Bull Global Rallycross double-header at Daytona International Speedway.

Users who are viewing this thread