Ford Racing Aluminator

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Has anyone on here had any experience or input on the short block? I'm afraid my stock short block wont last much longer. As of now its just a ticking time bomb....who knows! So I'm starting to budget for a built bottom end. I'm considering the Aluminator because it sounds to be reliable and well built to handle 700 hp. Plus Ford backs it with a warrenty. But I'm open to other ideas. Especially those that save $! But what I don't want to do is skimp on quality. I don't want 1000 rwhp. Just a reliable 500-600. My current set up is a 97 Cobra with a D1SC, Bassani midlenghts, Bassani X, SLP catbacks, Cobra spec T-56. Currently running 8#, would probabaly run 14-16# on pump gas with built bottom. All the help and input is appreciated!

commando

Established Member
Find a teksid block out of a junkyard. It is aluminum so you get the weight savings and these have supported >700rwhp reliably. You can find one out of any 99 cobra in a junkyard. Maybe 99-01, not sure. But this is a good block that can be had for cheap...or just get an 03 -04 iron block but you add about 200 lbs when you do that but you can also support more power too. Your choice. GL

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
why the hell are you bringing this up? your scaring the guy out of getting a very reliable long block. that has been fixed already, the new aluminator longblocks dont have that problem anymore.

Im sure he would like to know about it since it is a big purchase. If I hadnt posted the link someone else would have

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
Yeah, the Aluminator is fine now. if you don't go that route, my advice to you would be to stick with the bigger, more reputable shops. places like JDM, Livernois, CHP, DSS all stand behind their work and offer quality and experience. G/L :beer:

Last edited:

Erich

Established Member
One thing I don't like on the aluminator is the compression ratio choice. I like to run a blower with somewhere 9-9.5:1 compression for the street. They have super high and super low.
Erich

Yeah, the Aluminator is fine now. if you don't go that route, my advice to you would be to stick with the bigger, more reputable shops. places like JDM, Livernois, CHP, DSS all stand behind their work and offer quality and experience. G/L :beer:

DSS is absolute garbage when it comes to mod motors. They MAY know whats up with the pushrods but i've seen first hand several times that their mod setups just aren't reliable and i've spoken to several shops who will say the same. MMR is where its at when it comes to modulars

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
DSS is absolute garbage when it comes to mod motors. They MAY know whats up with the pushrods but i've seen first hand several times that their mod setups just aren't reliable and i've spoken to several shops who will say the same. MMR is where its at when it comes to modulars

no. DSS does not know what up with the pushrods.

1Quick4.6

Established Member

We have put 3 DSS supermodular short blocks in stangs including mine and they were great with no problems and that was 4years ago. you have to also look at who is setup the motors up if your buy a shortblock from someone.

sighwest

Established Member
I purchased the 8.5:1 compression Aluminator from Tousley Ford for 4 grand shipped. So far, so good after the "fix" where my builder had to bump the crank forward. I don't know if they have resolved that issue yet. So far so good with 600 miles.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I purchased the 8.5:1 compression Aluminator from Tousley Ford for 4 grand shipped. So far, so good after the "fix" where my builder had to bump the crank forward. I don't know if they have resolved that issue yet. So far so good with 600 miles.

that issue is said to be resolved. several guys have had their running motors swapped out for new ones that were fixed directly from FRPP. I fixed mine on my own with all new arp hardware and got $750 credit at Tousley. It was a nightmare for a while but is all good now.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

I did look into MMR. They have a lot of options for their short blocks. Does anyone here have any personal experience with MMR?

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
Send modular performance your shortblock and have them rebuild it!

Last edited:

CosworthRS

DemonicGraphix
Established Member
Thats what I've gathered. I've even heard the expression repackaged Granatelli. But I was wondering if anyone on here actually is running with a short block from MMR.

since when did Granatelli start selling selling short blocks? seriously its just hear say.. one person has a problem with someone. and says something about it online, and it becomes a big ordeal. I deal with MMR just about everyday. And ive had nothing but good things come out of there (other than taking longer then expected for parts) reputable company gets bombarded with customers.

(i supply parts for them, so i know they dont rebadge granatelli parts)

Users who are viewing this thread