Ford racing differential cover upgrade.

04screamingvert

Established Member
I am considering purchasing a Ford racing differential cover and I am asking for advice concerning the gasket material? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you .

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I used this stuff with great success.

TA-29

8b263d4b-967d-4266-8438-9b17a176708e_zpsupt0kg0s.jpg

zredfire04

Established Member
yeah, i used silicone. ultra black, i think.

there's a groove on the cover that aids in sealing when using just silicone.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Ford diesel rtv/thread.

Also if your haven’t purchased it yet try Autonation of White bear lake a vendor on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olympic

Established Member
I haven't installed my upgraded cover yet but I bought the Permatex Green RTV to go with it. Previous owner used Black RTV and it deteriorated and leaked a little. I debated between the Green and TA-29 from Ford but settled on the Green because it's made specifically for diff oil with friction modifiers.

Last edited:

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Absolutely none. Have used them twice. Once when changing the cover and then again when I upgraded my ring & pinion.

While I have heard you can reuse them, I decided not to take a chance and used a new one for the 2nd time.

Perfect seal each time. And I have been on road courses about 5 times and have made about a dozen runs at the dragstrip.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Kind of off subject but don't overfill diff after you install the new cover or it will blow all over your exhaust and drip on your garage floor. I polished my exhaust last summer, had a shop install new IRS bushings, and the FR cover and said make sure you add I think it's only like 1.5 quarts, don't fill until it comes out of the hole (make sure on the fill quantity) but they must have added too much b/c it blew everywhere out the top breather hole for about 2k miles. I think it's finally stopped now

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Kind of off subject but don't overfill diff after you install the new cover or it will blow all over your exhaust and drip on your garage floor. I polished my exhaust last summer, had a shop install new IRS bushings, and the FR cover and said make sure you add I think it's only like 1.5 quarts, don't fill until it comes out of the hole (make sure on the fill quantity) but they must have added too much b/c it blew everywhere out the top breather hole for about 2k miles. I think it's finally stopped now

Lol same here. Knock on wood I think it finally stopped. I need to re-polish my exhaust though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Take a white zip -tie and bend the tip 90°. Put it in the fill hole and fill (or take out) fluid until it is 3/8" -to 1/2" from the bottom of the fill hole.

hotcobra03

Established Member
it's just a cover..

I have done both ways..

and have had a leak after

knowing the odds of resealing,I would do gasket only .less prep work for next time

Users who are viewing this thread