Ford sees $3 billion pretax loss in its EV business this year

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
The key part of this statement is "pre tax"

What sort of subsidies/bailouts are they going to get for their brave attempt at "print(sarcasm(saving the future of the world))"?

Sidenote, is this is a double thread? Didn't @Klaus post one on this?

I'll repost my thought from that thread; some 1984 reference, I'm sure it went like:
Losses are profits,
war is peace,
tyranny is freedom
Newspeak 2p23

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The key part of this statement is "pre tax"

What sort of subsidies/bailouts are they going to get for their brave attempt at "print(sarcasm(saving the future of the world))"?

Sidenote, is this is a double thread? Didn't @Klaus post one on this?

I'll repost my thought from that thread; some 1984 reference, I'm sure it went like:
Losses are profits,
war is peace,
tyranny is freedom
Newspeak 2p23
Exactly, pre-tax.

Most will be facility upgrades, etc that they can write off against their profits. It's not as ugly as it appears surface level...however it's still not good.

sleek98

Established Member
Exactly, pre-tax.

Most will be facility upgrades, etc that they can write off against their profits. It's not as ugly as it appears surface level...however it's still not good.

Ding ding. Bonus rules change for tax years starting after 1/1/23. They needed to get all of the new lines operational to be able to do a cost segregation and 100% bonus as much as possible. Vs spreading it out over the next 5-15 years.

Depreciation changes over the next couple of years are really going to hurt business. Not as much in 2023 as it’s still 80% but drops to 60% then 40% then 20% then zero.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I read an article that said any electric vehicle that gets in even a minor accident has to have the battery totaled which ends up totaling the car. Insurance companies don't want to take a risk that the battery could be damaged in some way and fail / start a fire. They said if this trend continues insurance rates will be unaffordable for electric cars.

More people have died in New York City from electric bike fires than any other source. A lot of apartment buildings are now prohibiting them being stored or charged inside.
Interesting to watch the evolution over the last 3 NEC/NFPA books about at home storage.

Story short, becoming more strict.

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Factor in inflation and it's really worth half of what it was in 93
In fairness, Ford has delivered dividends during this time.

And GM went flat bankrupt along with Chrysler. They screwed everyone. Ford stock may be flat, but they still are here and have made some great cars.

Who wouldn't like a 2005 GT40? The newer GT40?

One of my favorites is the 2011 Mustang 5.0. I bought one

2011Mustang.jpg

2011Mustangc.jpg

It was a great car. I still have the window sticker.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
What was the cost of 2011 Mustang 5.0 with good brakes? It's here:
2011Mustange-1.jpg

That's with the Brembo brakes and the 3:73 rear axle.
Call it $30,000 + tax for the car.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
And the Camaro stopped production back then. They just announced that you better get one today as they are no longer making them no more (again). I hope the next one is less ugly.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
And the Camaro stopped production back then. They just announced that you better get one today as they are no longer making them no more (again). I hope the next one is less ugly.

If they wanna sell Camaros like ford does mustangs they need to retro back to the 80s and remake something similar to the IROC z… complete with T Tops as an option. That shit would sell.

1985-chevy-camaro.jpg

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
If they wanna sell Camaros like ford does mustangs they need to retro back to the 80s and remake something similar to the IROC z… complete with T Tops as an option. That shit would sell.

1985-chevy-camaro.jpg
Yes they sold a ton of these and they are badass but they decided they would go "all in" on building Saturns with electric motors. Bold move, let's see how it turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread