Ford's Drive Cycle...Monitors NOT READY

KITT

Established Member
So after putting the mustang away during winter, especially since it was going to need a new battery and the tabs for expiring in December, I decided it was time to get it back on the road. So I got a new battery, put on new posts, started it up let it idle for a while, drove it around the block a few times then headed up to emissions for my required test to get my tabs. Then as quickly as I got to the station they quickly told me I didn't pass, found out it's because too many of my monitors are in "Not Ready". Didn't think I would run into this problem, but I guess I didn't think of pulling the battery and letting the car sit with no power source would have caused a big issue. I guess I learned not to do a battery swap before an emissions testing.

Anyways, so I found Ford's Drive Cycle instructions, but my question is does anyone know if you have to follow the sequence step by step or can you just do what it says for certain monitors whenever you want to? It's going to be hard to find the time to do this all at once unless I have to, which then I will have to plan time for this and probably pick up an OBDII scanner to check my monitors.

It's basically a bone stock 2002 GT right now and yes....I mean bone stock minus a snorkel removal. So, I'm not too concerned that it's not going to pass for other reasons. Thanks!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
As far as I know they don't have to be done in that particular order or all at once.

KITT

Established Member
Thanks for the help, I've never ran into this problem before. I knew you needed to have the PCM re learn things after disconnection but never knew it would need more time/effort to get it up and running. I'm just kicking myself, because now I will more than likely need to pay $30 for a 3 day permit, to avoid a ticket since I will be having to drive it longer distances and longer time. But atleast I don't have to focus so much on sequence and or specifics.

96gt02

Established Member
Yeah anytime you reset the ecm/ disconnect or let the battery die/ all the readiness monitors have to reset which like others said generally take about 100ish miles of varying driving.

cartec

I don’t want to be on this site anymore
Established Member
This happened to me. Drive it around and let the gas go from full to almost empty with multiple stops and starts over a couple days. Eventually, the monitors will run. I used a Launch odb2 monitor to see which monitors had run.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread