Forged short block advice

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
I've decided to go blown, and for what I'm planning that's going to require forged internals. Looking for some advice on what would be a good platform to start with. I like the 324 stroker from VT (but the 10 to 12 week turnaround is a little bit of a problem) - but I also like the Liveronis option too (iron block - no core so I'll always have my shortblock as a spare, just in case).

So anywayz - what shortblock would you go with? Is waiting 10 to 12 weeks really worth it?

Thanks in advance for your help & advice :rockon:

BTW: I am looking to keep the car streetable and my target is about 550RWHP on 93 octane gas (I'll have a flip chip for running full race gas).

Last edited:

blownCOB

Established Member
first what kind of blower are you going to be running? your gunna need a novi 2000 or t trim for the numbers you want. ive heard nothing but good things about vt motors, i dont think 10 to 12 weeks is that bad,from what ive seen and heard about there work it would be worth it. plus it usually it ends up being quicker then what they tell you anyways. ive heard livernous is quite expensive isisnt it? let the others chime in, they will help you out.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
If you goal is 550rwhp, you can get that A LOT easier and cheaper than a 324 stroker. Use your own block, stuff it with forged goodies, and get a d1sc or something and run ~14 or 15lbs of boost.

UCBeau

BreBar21 said:
If you goal is 550rwhp, you can get that A LOT easier and cheaper than a 324 stroker. Use your own block, stuff it with forged goodies, and get a d1sc or something and run ~14 or 15lbs of boost.
AMEN!

from what I've seen, 324's are race type applications. You need new water jackets and the block is extensively machined, plus it's very expensive. If you want 550 rwhp, call MPH and get a 302 stroker aluminum block, and a Procharger D1-SC, 3 core intercooler, and a Snow Kit to be safe.

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Yeah, the 324 is overkill - it sounds cool though :-D Looking at the prices it's really not that much more expensive (a few thousand) however it'll be money saved to go elsewhere should I go with the 302. I talked to the guy that is going to do the buildup and he's cool with the shortblock as it will save him time putting the engine together and honestly, I just feel safer knowing that the shortblock was built by peeps who have a great rep for doing what they do best and don't mind ponying up for it. Deffinatly going the Procharger & intercooler route... never considered the snow kit, but now that you mention it - that would add a little more margin of safety.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If you're going to do the 302 route I'd do the big bore 304 over the stroker 302. The larger bore is more favorable.

Or as said before you can always do a .020 punch on your block, stuff it with goodies and go for there. Looking for 550rwhp on a blown application isn't aiming for the moon so it can be done with just a bit of effort. it doesn't need anything extreamly special.

UCBeau

Torch10th said:
If you're going to do the 302 route I'd do the big bore 304 over the stroker 302. The larger bore is more favorable.

Or as said before you can always do a .020 punch on your block, stuff it with goodies and go for there. Looking for 550rwhp on a blown application isn't aiming for the moon so it can be done with just a bit of effort. it doesn't need anything extreamly special.
good point, i totally forgot about the 304. :beer:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Take the money you would save on going with a BB or stroker and put that into stronger bottom end parts and then...boost the crap out of it. With reliable 600 and 700 hp stock bore/stroke engines already out there it would be very easy to do.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
na svt said:
Take the money you would save on going with a BB or stroker and put that into stronger bottom end parts and then...boost the crap out of it. With reliable 600 and 700 hp stock bore/stroke engines already out there it would be very easy to do.

Exactly...

GodStang

Established Member
You can not go wrong with VT. Right now I have the 302 VT stroker and I am making tons more power than people with equal set up but different bottom end. I would stay away from and iron block if at all possible. The only reason is that it is a bit heavier and that really hurts. These Mod enignes need weight taken away big time.

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
GodStang said:
You can not go wrong with VT. Right now I have the 302 VT stroker and I am making tons more power than people with equal set up but different bottom end. I would stay away from and iron block if at all possible. The only reason is that it is a bit heavier and that really hurts. These Mod enignes need weight taken away big time.
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear... VT seems like the way to go for me. I'm actually seriously considering their longblock options - mainly because it would be more of a complete package and since the shop I am going to take the car to does't do head work and has to contract that out - it just seems the logical way to go (head work matched to the shortblock capabilities). I'm just trying to come to grips with what I can live with as far as the upper horsepower limits are concurned. The VT Cobra Sportsman block is good to 700HP - which may be a bit limiting. I don't know if that's RWHP or crank HP. If it's crank HP - then that block tops out at about 595RWHP. As I said in the first post, I'm looking at 550RWHP... but as I gain experience with the car I would like the option to bump that up. I am 90% sure at this point I will be going VT - I've only heard great things about their engines - and it beats having to deal with the canadian rapist LOL

Thanks for the advise everyone :thumbsup:

GodStang

Established Member
HAHAHA do not say that around Jim and Scott both are canadians also but build in Michigan. No but really We called Scott every day with different questions and he gave us an answer and if he did not have one he found it out and got right back to us. Very good about returning calls. I could not be happier about there customer serive. I still talk with them and they still answer my questions. Just talk to Scott or Jim about what you are looking for and they will help you out. I started out with the one you are looking at now I have a 302 Billet VT rated at 1600hp engine wise. Oh and yes the HP is rated Engine wise.

DSCN0316.jpg

My buddy with my eninge NOT ME:
DSCN0318.jpg

DSCN0346.jpg

Hope they temp you.

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Sweet pics :rockon:

Scott reccomended that the sportman longblock was really all I needed and will make the HP for my application just fine. I'm not going to be running anywhere close to the numbers you are, so he suggested that I should just go with the billet rod options and should be OK all the way to 800HP. I like this dude - not trying to sell me more then I need says a lot about his character.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
GodStang said:
You can not go wrong with VT.

Right now I have the 302 VT stroker and I am making tons more power than people with equal set up but different bottom end.

I agree, you can't go wrong with VT.

However, when comparing strokers to standard stroke engines w/similar mods, the stroker will make a more power, but not tons more.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
im also looking at VT for when i do my engine
it will probably be next winter so ill be keeping my eye on this tread and see how it works out for you guys
J

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
so the deal is you pull your engine, send it to them, they build it, and send it back right?
or can you just buy them outright?
J

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
no_slow_svt said:
so the deal is you pull your engine, send it to them, they build it, and send it back right?
or can you just buy them outright?
J
Basically you're right. It's like if you ordered today, your engine would be built in ~10 weeks. So, 8 weeks from now, they would have you send them the engine. They'll need it for ~2 weeks for all the work, then its back on its way to you. Total downtime with freight both ways would be ~1month total. As fas as you buying them outright - I don't think they have the 4valve blocks & heads sitting around.

Users who are viewing this thread