Forgotten Performers

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I dont think the c4's are bad looking cars. Problem I see is most aare not taken care of very well and really showing their age.

Lowflight

Established Member
Mike Ebert in Abita Springs LA ported and polished the top end and did all the appearance work to my Black 92 you see. This is his 10 second 91 ZR-1.......holla at me now

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Kw7WVGdvA&feature=related"]YouTube - 91 ZR1 All motor, no nitrous and still has the 6speed![/ame]

Lowflight

Established Member
I dont think the c4's are bad looking cars. Problem I see is most aare not taken care of very well and really showing their age.

I could say the same for 03-04 Cobras. I have started my search and have only found a few that haven's been modded to death or ruined IMHO...let alone alot of high mile cars relative to their age. Though I agree with you on the C4 front, I am amazed at how hard it is to find the right Cobra for me. I have found a few, but they are on the other side of the country.

SRV1

Established Member
I was doing some thinking and playing around on the net and came across a nice 1995 Corvette for sale. I got to thinking wow these are so cheap, but why? I looked up the performance specs and I was somewhat surprised at how well they actually perform and how few I see on the road. Someone would rather spend $7,000 on other cars before even looking at this one...

Here are the specs:

0-60: 5.7 Sec
1/4 Mile: 14.1 Sec
Braking: 122ft
Lateral G (200ft): .87G
HP: 300
TQ: 330
Engine: 5.7L LT1
Transmission: 6sp Manual or Auto

Sure, it looks a little too 90210 for a lot of people. But how do we ignore that and look at what matters? This car is reliable, it has a solid powerplant, handles well and is CHEAP as hell...

What other cars do you think are now under the radar? Post pictures, specs, and whatever else you think is important.

The reason is they handled like crap, rode like a wagon and the interior is cheap plastic that rattles you to death. Also they had electrical issues and they were hard to work on. I personally like the C4 exterior better than the C5. I would buy one if the price was right.

James

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
Thunderbird Supercoupe........

Power Plant:
The Super Coupe's comes equipped with a 3.8 liter V-6 powerplant that is force-fed with an Eaton Corporation supercharger. The 8.2 to 1 compression ratio, combined with six computer controlled sequentially fuel injectors, completes the well rounded underhood package. While running at a maximum 15,600 rpm's, the supercharger provides 12 psi of boost and as a resultant it develops 210 bhp at 4000 engine rpm's. The engine develops 315 lb-ft of torque at 2600 rpm. The supercharged V-6 delivers ample power without much noise but an underdrive kit and a performance chip are available to boost the horsepower rating to 255 bhp.

89-93 Engine Specifications:
Type: Supercharged OHV V-6
Bore x stroke, mm: 96.8 x 86.0
Displacement, cc: 3802
Displacement, ci: 232
Compression ratio: 8.2:1
Bhp@RPM, SAE net: 210@4000
Torque, lb-ft@RPM: 315@2600
Fuel delivery: Multi-Port Electronic fuel-injection
Fuel requirement: unleaded, 92+ octane
Exhaust-emission control equipment: 3-way catalytic converter,
exhaust-gas re-circulation, air injection

Transmission:
The 4-speed automatic transmission features a 0.67:1 overdrive ratio and an electromechanical lockup to eliminate torque-converter slippage on the supercharged models.

Braking System:
The Thunderbird SC braking system features 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS. The Thunderbird SC can stop in 140 ft from 60 mph. From a speed of 80 mph, it takes the SC 247 ft. to come to a safe stop.

Suspension System:
Up front, the T-Bird rides on a short and long-arm system rather than a more conventional MacPherson-strut arrangement. This system features variable-rate coil springs, a 1.2 in. diameter anti-sway bar and electronically controlled nitrogen-pressurized gas shocks.

The rear suspension is even less conventional for a rear wheel drive domestic sedan. It's fully independent with a large lower H-arm on which the variable-rate coil spring rides and there is a smaller U channel upper arm. These arms are tied together by a cast aluminum knuckle. In addition, there is a 1.1 inch diameter anti-roll bar and gas-pressurized shocks with electronically controlled damping. The car's gripping power comes from the big P225/60R-16 Goodyear Eagle GT-II's mounted on 7 inch wide light alloy wheels.

The SC is equipped with an electronic suspension control. You can definitely feel a difference in the ride when you switch from the soft and sport (Firm) setting. The ride control system is made by Tokico. A computer monitors vehicle speed, brake-line pressure, steering angle and engine-computer acceleration signals to determine the shock valving. There are two switch settings. These settings are: Auto and Firm. The automatic setting selects soft shock valving for a smooth, comfortable ride. When driving conditions require a firm ride, it automatically overrides the soft valving. The firm position is simply an override that selects the firm setting in all driving modes.

Drivetrain:
Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic Overdrive
AOD Gear ratios (89-93):
4th (0.67)
3rd (1.00)
2nd (1.47)
1st (2.40)

4R70W Gear ratios (94-95):
4th (0.67)
3rd (1.00)
2nd (1.55)
1st (2.84)

Transmission: 5-Speed Manual Shift (M5R2)
Gear ratios (89-93):
5th (0.75)
4th (1.00)
3rd (1.43)
2nd (2.32)
1st (3.75)

Gear ratios (94-95):
5th (0.75)
4th (1.00)
3rd (1.34)
2nd (2.16)
1st (3.42)

Acceleration:
0-100 ft: 3.2
0-500 ft: 8.6
0-1320 ft (1/4 mi); 15.9 @ 88.5 mph

Time to speed, sec
0-30 mph: 2.5
0-40 mph: 3.8
0-50 mph: 5.5
0-60 mph: 7.4
0-70 mph: 10.4
0-80 mph: 13.1
0-90 mph: 16.4
0-100 mph: 20.8

Quarter Mile times for "Box Stock" Thunderbird SC 's:

With Automatic Transmission: They run between 15.7 to 16.0 seconds at around 86-88 mph.
With Manual Transmission: They run between 15.4 to 15.7 seconds at around 88-90 mph.
Supercharger:
Do not confuse a turbocharger with a supercharger. They operate in completely different ways and none of the parts are interchangeable. The turbocharger and supercharger are serviced by replacement only.

The supercharger is not a bolt-on option. It is part of an integrated engine system. Many components of the supercharged engine are not interchangeable with similar parts from a non-supercharged engine.

The supercharger has a self-contained oiling system that does no require a fluid change for the life of the vehicle unless damage occurs. The fluid level should be checked at 30,000 mile intervals, or if visual signs of leakage occur. Checking oil levels can be done by removing an Allen head plug located at the front of the supercharger. The oil level should be at the bottom of the fill plug threads when cold. If the level is low, add a synthetic supercharger fluid that meets or exceeds

===========================================================================================================
Buick G/N

Grand National, T-Type and GNX
In 1982, the Regal Grand National debuted. Named for the NASCAR Grand National racing series, it came with a naturally aspirated 4.1 L V6 engine with 125 hp (93 kW) at 4000 rpm and 205 lb·ft (278 N·m) of torque at 2000 rpm or an optional turbocharged version with 175 hp (130 kW) at 4000 rpm and 275 lb·ft (373 N·m) of torque at 2600 rpm. Only 215 Regal Grand Nationals were produced in 1982, and most were not turbocharged. The Buick Regal Sport Coupe package came with the turbocharged engine, of which only 2022 were produced. In 1983, there was no Grand National and the Sport Coupe model was renamed the T-Type; 3732 were produced (190 hp (140 kW) at 1600 rpm and 280 lb·ft (380 N·m) of torque at 2400 rpm).

In 1984 the Grand National returned in all black paint. The turbocharged 3.8 L became standard and was refined with sequential fuel injection, and boosted 200 hp (150 kW) at 4400 rpm and 300 lb·ft (407 N·m) of torque at 2400 rpm. Only 5,204 Turbo Regals were produced that year, only 2000 of which were Grand Nationals.

In 1986, a modified engine design with intercooling boosted the performance even further; in 1987 it reached 245 hp (183 kW) and 355 lb·ft (481 N·m) of torque. Buick dropped the T-Type package for Regal in 1987. There were only 7,896 Turbo Regals produced in 1986. In 1987, when Turbo Regals reached their peak in popularity, a total of 27,590 Turbo Regals were produced through December.

1987 also offered a lightweight WE4 (Turbo T) option. Only 1,547 of this variant were produced. They were painted black and treated to the same blackout package as the Grand National, including bumpers, grille, headlight and taillight trim. The differences between a WE4 and the Grand National were the interior trim package, wheels, exterior badging, aluminum bumper supports, and aluminum rear brake drums as opposed to the Grand National's cast iron. The rear spoiler was only available as a dealer installed option. 1987 was the only year that the LC2 Turbo option was available on any Regal, making it possible to even see a Limited with a vinyl landau roof and a power bulge turbo hood.

For the final year, 1987, Buick introduced the GNX at $29,000. Produced by McLaren/ASC, Buick underrated the GNX at 276 hp (206 kW) and a very substantial 360 lb·ft (488 N·m) of torque.[1] This was created so as to be "Grand National to end all Grand Nationals," as the next model year converted the chassis to front-wheel drive, which Buick engineers admitted would not be able to put down that much power[citation needed]. Changes made included a special Garrett turbocharger with a ceramic-impeller blowing through a more efficient intercooler and a "CERMATEL (Ceramic/Aluminum) coated" pipe connecting the intercooler to the engine. A GNX specific EEPROM, low-restriction exhaust with dual mufflers, reprogrammed Turbo Hydramatic 200-4R transmission with a custom torque converter and transmission cooler, and unique differential cover/panhard bar included more of the performance modifications. Exterior styling changes include vents located on each front fender, 16 inch black mesh style wheels with VR-speed rated tires, and deletion of the hood and fender emblems. The interior changes of the GNX included a serial number on the dash plaque and a revised instrument cluster providing analog Stewart-Warner gauges, including an analog turbo boost gauge. The GNX was claimed as the fastest production sedan ever built at that time.[citation needed] GNX #001 is currently owned by Buick and sometimes makes appearances at car shows around the US. The GNX had a ladder bar that ran from the mid-section of the car to the rear axle, so as to increase traction. This is also the reason why a GNX will actually lift the rear end up when the car is about to launch heavily.

===========================================================================================================

GMC Cyclone/Typhoon

So what's a Syclone anyway?

The GMC Syclone is a turbocharged, AWD pickup truck that has the distinction of being the quickest and fastest truck ever produced. They were manufactured by Production Automotive Services, Inc (PAS), who also did the '89 Turbo Trans Am.

Oh, yeah, that's that nasty little truck with the Buick GN motor.

Not quite. The Syclone has a 4.3L Vortec (Same motor as the Chevy) V-6 that pumps out 280 HP in stock form. The Syclone has a liquid- cooled intercooler, whereas the Buick's is air cooled. The Buick also has Sequential fuel injection, the Syclone has multi-port. Although unconfirmed, there has been talk on the mailing list that the actual horsepower rating of the Syclone engine is 330; however due to the 280 HP rating of the transmission, the lesser figure was used in promotions. But, as mentioned, no data or evidence can support this theory.

Ok, so what's a Typhoon then?

The Typhoon is essentialy the same chassis/powertrain, but with the "Jimmy" (Blazer) bodystyle. It's also a little more plush than a Sy, with leather seats, power mirrors, and nicer interior trimmings, such as a CD player. They also had a rear air-ride suspension to take some of the harshness out of the road bumps. The Typhoon seats five, whereas the Sy will only seat two (but the Sy has more cargo space!).
Interior of Syclone
Interior of Typhoon

There weren't very many of them made, were there?

Nope, only 2998 '91 Sys were built, 2500 '92 Tys and 2200 '93 Tys.

Weren't there some '92 Syclones built?

There were only 3. One is reported to be in a museum in Michgan, and the whereabouts of the others are currently unknown. Two have been confirmed to be white with gray cladding, and the third black. The black '92 Syclone is visible in several magazine publications. In addition, there have been unconfirmed reports of one 1992 green Syclone which was used in crash testing, however without any proof (at this time), nothing more can really be said. You can distinguish the '92s by looking for an "X" shaped steering wheel and the power mirrors that the Ty had. Click on the link above to view the history of all known Syclones (and Typhoons).

What about 1991 Typhoons?

Only Four. These were sold from the PAS showroom floor when PAS went out of business; each are salvage titles. The color schemes are Black with Gray cladding, Aspen Blue with Gray cladding (with a cloth interior), White with Black cladding, and Black without any cladding. The Blue one was the Typhoon that was featured in Lethal Weapon III for a brief 3 seconds. The Black/Gray Typhoon is currently in Bloomfield Hills, MI; the Blue Typhoon was in Lansing, MI with only 500 miles on the odometer; but it's current whereabouts is unknown.

I've only seen black Syclones, but I see a bunch of different color Typhoons. What's the deal?

The only color Sys came in from the factory was black. GMC used 2 white ones in some of their promotional events, but they were custom painted by an outside party. The Typhoons came in many colors, including Apple Red, Royal Blue, Forest Green, White, Black, and sort of a Teal Green color that was said to have been applied to only a few units. Click on the history section for more in-depth information on color combinations.

I heard something about some "Marlboro Syclones". What's up there?

Marlboro Cigarettes purchased 10 Sys for a promotional gimmick in which they raffled off 10 customized Sys to folks who sent in a card. The customizations were done by Larry Shinoda (Corvette and Boss 302 Mustang designer) with the help of the American Sunroof Corporation (ASC). They had T-tops, Recaro seats with 5-pt. racing harnesses, a electric slide-down rear window, CD changer, and a fiberglass tonneau cover. They were painted bright red. Current asking price for these is around $50K, and when new they were appraised at $100K. Horsepower on these were a reported 325. A couple pictures of these can be viewed by clicking here or here.

So what did a normal Sy/Ty cost?

The Sy's sticker was from $25,970 to $26,120. The Ty cost $29,530 to $29,790 in '92 and $29,320 to $29,580 in '93. Used, the Sy can run from about $15K to about $23K. The Ty goes for $20K to $28K used. Prices of course depend on the truck's mileage, condition, etc. Check out the Trucks for Sale for some current Syclones and Typhoons for sale.

I heard something about a Syclone being able to beat a Ferrari. True?

True. In 1/4 mile tests done by Car and Driver and other mags, the Syclone would beat a Ferrari 348ts. The Syclone would also win the 0-60 battle too. The computer in the Sy limits it to 126 MPH, whereas the 348 would go 166. One such test occurred in Colorado at the Bandimere Speedway near Emich GMC. The dealership pitted the Syclone vs. the Ferrari Testarossa, with a 385-horsepower boxer 12-cylinder engine, and in two 1/4 mile test, the GMC Syclone won hands down both times. The ET was 14 seconds flat but it has to be noted that Bandimere is located at an elevationof 5,800 feet.

I heard that a Syclone went 200 mph at Bonneville?

Yep. A specially prepared Sy reached a top speed of 210.069 with a flying mile average of 204.145, on Sept 14, 1990. However, the Syclone Land Speed Record (LSR) was a bored-out 4.3L to a 5.0L normally aspirated engine. Horsepower was 545 with similar Torque figures.

So, how quick is the Sy/Ty?

Really quick. To be more specific, stock Syclones will run from 13.4 to 14.3 in the 1/4 mile, and Typhoons will run from 13.8 to 14.7, depending on the day's weather and the tuning of the vehicle. 0-60 Times for the Syclone and Typhoon vary from 5.0 to 5.5 seconds. These kind of times made the Syclone and Typhoon the fastest production trucks in the world. They handle pretty good too, pulling about .8 g on the skidpad.

I heard they come standard with ABS. True?

Yep, it's a three channel, 4WABS.

What's a Sy/Ty weigh?

Curb weight for the Syclone is about 3500, for the Typhoon it's about 3800 pounds.

Was a manual transmission an option?

Nope. The only transmission available is the TH700-R4 4-spd Automatic. This transmission is the same as found in the Chevrolet Corvette. Gear ratios are as follows:

1st 3.06
2nd 1.63
3rd 1.00
4th 0.70
Final drive ratio is 3.42.
What kind of gas milage do they get?

The Sy was EPA rated at 14/17, and the Ty at 15/19 miles per gallon.

I need new tires. What should I get?

Consensus on the net seems to be the Goodyear GSC 245/50s. Dunlop D40M2s have also been rumored to be a good tire. Discussions are ongoing as to which is the "best" tire, and a better answer will be submitted here soon.

Didn't GMC have a Drag Racing promotion a while back?

Yes, the Syclone Drag Challenge was a travelling show that pitted a spectator from the crowd vs. Don "the Snake" Prudehomme. Both Competitors got equally prepared white Syclones. No, you didn't get one if you won. GMC also put on the "GMC Truck Sport Machines Performance Challenge" which was a promotional gimmick that allowed selected prospective buyers to Take a ride with a professional driver in a Typhoon and then take a crack at the road course themselves in a Syclone. These Syclones have been found out to be specially modified S-10's with "Syclone" internals; their location has been rumored to be in California with one in Michigan.

Is PAS (Production Automotive Systems) still in business?

Nope. Once based in Troy, MI, PAS went out of business shortly after GM failed to renew their contract. Much of this was due to the issues of electric vehicles GM had to face, not to mention the fact that the Syclone and Typhoon were poorly marketed. The Syclone and Typhoon were intended to be limited vehicles; however, there were plans for the Syclone to be made yearly with a production of roughly 15,000 per year. When PAS went out of business, their "showroom" stock of prototype Syclones and Typhoons were sold to the public, which included the four 1991 prototype Typhoons.

I heard Clint Eastwood has a Typhoon. True?

True. In fact, rumor has it that he has three of them. Below is a small listing of "famous" people that are proud owners of either a Syclone or Typhoon:

Late Bill Bixby - Black Typhoon
Tim Allen - Typhoon
Eddie Van Halen - Syclone
Jay Leno - Syclone
John F. Kennedy Jr. - Typhoon (Stolen and recovered in 1997 by New Jersy police)
Randy Travis - Syclone
Clint Eastwood - 93 Typhoon Green/Silver skirts
Shawn Kemp (Seattle Super Sonics) - Typhoon
Stephan Johannson (Indy Racer) - Typhoon
Ken Griffey, Jr. - Typhoon
Latrell Sprewell - Typhoon
Royce Clayton (St. Louis Cardinals) Typhoon black.
Bubba McDowell (Houston Oilers) Midnight blue Typhoon.
Keenan McCartle (Cleveland Browns) White '93 Ty. Runs High 12s.
Where can I find a copy of the definition for the ALDL scan data format?

This is GM proprietary information, and they're not telling. You can always try to reverse engineer it, but informed sources tell us it's difficult. The Sy/Ty uses a P4 ECM, FYI.

Dodge Lancer Shelby

The 1988 to 1989 Lancer Shelby was a factory appearance and handling package including upgraded sway bars, shorter springs, and quicker steering along with an assortment of comfort and convenience features including leather seats, power locks, windows, seats, and mirrors, a tilt steering wheel and a two-position cup holder.[citation needed]

The intercooled Turbo II engine with the manual transmission provided 175 hp (130 kW) and a flat torque curve[vague]. The automatic variant was equipped with the 146 hp (109 kW) Turbo I[citation needed]. Although it was not planned as a limited edition, only 279 Lancer Shelbys were produced in 1988 and 208 in 1989[

Dodge Omni/Charger GLHS

The Omni GLHS (Goes Like Hell, Some-more) started in 1986 based on a 4-door model and had a modified Garrett Turbo I engine, a long-runner tuned intake (2 piece) manifold, and an intercooler. This engine sounds like the Turbo II, but it does not have any of the forged internal parts (crank, rods, pistons, etc.). GLHS production was only 500 in 1986. Color was only black with a grey interior. Options included an oil cooler, and roll-bar. The engine had a compression ratio of 8.5:1, a maximum boost of 12 psi, peak 175 horsepower at 5,300 rpm, and peak torque of 175 lb-ft from 2,200 to 4,800 rpm. The sole transmission was a five-speed manual with a top gear ratio of 2.57:1. The redline was 5,800 rpm; the air-to-air intercooler dropped the air entering the turbocharge by 100°F.

Standard features for the 1986 GLH-S included heavy duty, power brakes (10.2 inch disc up front, 8.0 x 1.28 drum rear); tinted glass; various trim blackouts and stripes; Bosch road lights; cargo-bay carpet; five-speed manual transmission with heel-and-toe pedals; extra sound insulation; high-back cloth seats; AM stereo/FM stereo; full instrument cluster; 14:1 rack and pinion power steering; air conditioning; rear defroster; and leather-wrapped wheel and shifter. The suspension used stiffer front anti-sway bars and fully adjustable Koni iso-struts with coil springs that could be manually set up for different conditions. The rear used the usual semi-independent trailing-arm suspension.

So equipped, Shelby claimed that the 1986 Omni GLH-S could do 0-60 in a stunning 6.70 seconds, with a 14.7 quarter-mile (at 94 mph). Cornering was quite good, with a skid-pad measurement of .88g. Shelby Automobiles was able to advertise that “names like Porsche, Ferrari, Audi, and BMW all finish behind Carrol Shelby’s new Limited Edition GLH-S.” That was true, but drivers did pay a price; the GLH-S had a very firm suspension. It also had a very fair price: just about $11,000 plus destination, which was inexpensive for this level of performance even in 1986.

Bill Cuttita wrote:
The last 3,100 Omni GLHs were produced, and Carroll Shelby became a manufacturer (again) with the creation of Shelby Automobiles. The last 500 were all black turbos, and were sent to Carroll's new plant in Whittier, California, to become the Shelby GLHS ... with an induction system featuring a special radiator assembly with an intercooler for the intake charge, two piece intake manifold, multi-port fuel injection, larger Garrett turbo, 205/50 VR 1 5 Goodyear "Gatorbacks" on special Shelby Centurion wheels, Shelby Automobiles dash number plate, an unpegged speedometer with applique indicating up to 135 mph, and leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob.
While originally intended to be a late 1985 model released that summer, production delays kept the Omni GLHS from dealer's lots until the spring of 1986. The performance world was set on its ear by early reviews, including an April '96 Hot Rod Magazine cover with the announcement "GLHS WHIPS GT-350!" and a comparison article declaring the little Omni 2-seconds faster over a side by side lap at Willow Springs and 1-second faster in the quarter-mile than a 1966 Shelby Mustang. The official GLHS numbers went like this: quarter-mile in 14.7 seconds, 0-60 in 6.5 sec, and .88g on the skidpad. Bite was improved tremendously over the GLH, but at a cost - a slightly harsher ride, and care had to be taken when pushing the car quickly over surfaces that were less than ideal, as the little Omni could lose grip going over bumps.
The GLHS was sold through Dodge dealerships that stepped up to a Shelby Automobiles franchise, and for a $10,995 sticker price, the Shelbys went out the door to performance enthusiasts like hotcakes.
Chrysler introduced 'fast burn' cylinder heads for the 2.2L family this year; cylinder heads used on turbo engines were given a tapered snroud around the exhaust valve for better flow.
1987 Dodge Charger GLH-S

For 1987, 1,000 GLH-S models based on the Omni-based Dodge Charger two-door coupe were made with Koni adjustable shocks and struts, 15" Goodyear Gatorback tires, and the same intercooled 2.2 liter engine peaking at 175 hp and 175 lb-ft of torque. It was a 2-door coupe only in black with grey interior. Sixty mph came up within 6.95 seconds, making it quite respectable if a little slower than the stodgier-looking Omni GLHS. The quarter mile came up in 14.7 seconds at 94 mph. In essence, this was an extremely similar car, with nearly identical front and rear suspensions, brakes, and powertrain equipment; the “blacken everything” motif remained as well. An auto-reverse tape deck was added, and the price rose rather quickly, up to $12,995 (plus destination).

For 1987, the aluminum air-to-air intercooler measured 11.5 x 6.25 x 3. Cornering went down to .84 g on the skidpad. Front and rear brakes appear to have remained the same; as in 1986, a 135-mph speedometer was fitted. A big 78-amp alternator was used with a 335 amp battery. Modified parts were warranted by Shelby for one year or 12,000 miles, except for certain engien and transaxle parts, which were given 2-year/24,000 mile coverage with a $100 deductible. Chrysler parts were covered by their one year/12,000 mile warranty except for powertrain, which was, again, 2-year/24,000 miles.

Engines table
Car Power Turbo Production
1984 Omni GLH 110 none 3,285
1985 Omni GLH 110 or 146 none/Turbo I 6,513
1986 Omni GLH 110 or 146 none/Turbo I 3,629
1986 Omni GLHS 175 Garret* 500
1987 Shelby GLHS (Charger) 175 Turbo II 1,000
* According to Bill Yohman, this was the basis for the Turbo II

Racing - Plymouth Horizon, Dodge Omni GLH
Angelo Taylor wrote that he has a “1985 Omni GLH turbo converted to a T2. This car has my own nitrous set up on it that is based on the base EFI NOS kit from NOS....When the car was a T1 with 16 psi of boost it was running only 14.0s....but the extra 175 - 200 hp of nitrous I put through it made it run in the 11s....11.89 at 118 being the quickest. I even ran Super Pro with it once and won 5 rounds before I red lighted...car IS NHRA legal with 8 point roll bar and 4 point harness. Three speed automatic with COAN 4000 stall converter. 2400 lbs. Car has 210,000+ miles."

Last edited:

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
Turbo Trans Am

TWENTIETH ANNIVERSARY TRANS AM

Engine

3.8L SFI V6 HIGH OUTPUT 300+hp @ 4400 rpm, 340 lbs-ft torque @ 2800 rpm;electronic sequential fuel injection;tuned aluminum intake manifold; specific cylinder heads;cross drilled crankshaft;Direct fire Ignition with electronic spark control;Garrett T3 turbocharger with electronic wastgate control;streamlined tubular stainless steel exhaust manifolds and special high-efficiency intercooler.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRANSMISSION

Specially calibrated 4-speed automatic, with performance-optimized shift points

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Road Performance Figures

0-60 5.4 sec

1/4 mile et 13.5 sec

1/4 mile speed 101.??

Top speed 161

Braking, 60-0 139 ft.

Lateral accelerations, g's 0.86

Weight/horsepower ratio 13.4:1

Key Numbers

Wheelbase 101.0"

Length 191.6"

Width 72.4"

Height 50.0"

Curb wt 3346 lbs

Track, f/r 60.7"/61.6"

Fuel tank 18.0 gal

Trunk cap. 10.3/31.0 cu. ft

with rear seat up/down.

Mustang SVO

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_SVO[/ame]

Dodge Shadow, Shelby-style.....

Carroll Shelby Enterprises modified Shadows into several performance-oriented vehicles such as the Shelby CSX, which was equipped with a turbocharged 2.2 L engine producing 174 hp (130 kW). Because of the car's light weight, it was capable of acceleration equal or greater than that of many contemporary muscle and sports cars of the time. A version without the intercooler, rated at 150 hp (112 kW), was sold to Thrifty as the CSX-T.

Last edited:

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I could say the same for 03-04 Cobras. I have started my search and have only found a few that haven's been modded to death or ruined IMHO...let alone alot of high mile cars relative to their age. Though I agree with you on the C4 front, I am amazed at how hard it is to find the right Cobra for me. I have found a few, but they are on the other side of the country.

I agree.. The problem is with performance cars is when they get a few years old, they are more affordable to a larger group of people. Younger people start to buy and modify them and they end up used and abused.

Mine is no exception. over 80k miles, but I bought the car for the purpose of driving it. Everyday.

imurdaddytoosvt

Established Member
Ya they are hideous, the new ones look great but those are just so plain and straight edged. Plus they look 30 years old,
And the interior is horrible

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
But its ugly as hell

That's subjective, I think Corvettes have always had good styling. Performance is a different story but then again everything in the 80's through mid 90's didn't perform.

I will say the interior is just as horrid as they are on the SN-95's.

SilverELEX

Established Member
C4s ugly as hell? No way but i guess thats all opinion. As far as the interiors go from the C4 to the c5 I really dont think the C5 is much better at all. Both have the cheap plastic feel and well neither one is better than the other. My parents had an 89, and a 93 at one point and ordered a new 98 C5. IMO I just liked the looks of the 93 over the 98, it looked tougher and not quite as refined.

351inside

Established Member
That's subjective, I think Corvettes have always had good styling. Performance is a different story but then again everything in the 80's through mid 90's didn't perform.

I will say the interior is just as horrid as they are on the SN-95's.

are you talking about the material used? because not much changed on you cobra as far as styling as the sn95's, except well the material looks better:shrug:

Blue Blitz

Established Member
I like C4's and have seen a few LT4 cars go for under 10k. LT4 cars run with C5's without much problem (stock for stock). I like them and would consider one but just not what i need right now.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
The DOHC in the ZR1 was awesome!!! Lotus style heads and built by mercury marine...

I'd imagine these cars with a built bottom end and a nice blower setup would be a beast...

Also +1 on the shelby dodge omni GLH! actually stood for Goes like Hell!! hahaha

PKFIRE

Established Member
Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LT5 ZR-1...bout the only C4 that is impressive. But then again they aren't that cheap

You're right about them not being cheap. My son-in-law bought a '90 ZR-1 that only has 290 miles on it. He did, though, get an unbelievable deal from the owner, his neighbor. Just over $30K.

I wouldn't mind owning that silver LT1 Vette. I love the color and it looks really clean. It's no C6, but it would still be a great bang-for-the-buck ride IMO.

jleews6

Established Member
I have always liked the C4 Vettes from 92 to 97. They are alot faster then alot of people think they are. Back in the late 90s my fiernd had one that ran low 13s stock (I think he went 13.3) and then all we did was remove the filter,change tire pressure,ice it down and remove the belt and he went 13.0 spinning the tires bad. with some drag radials I think he could have gone 12.7s. Thats fast for a basicly stock car.:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread