Found a wallet...what should I do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver03

Established Member
So I found a wallet in a parking lot this weekend with a fair amount of money in it. It also contains the guy's ID, Social Security card, debit card, and other miscellaneous cards. I've looked on the internet for some info on the guy as far as a phone number but had no luck.

I have every intention of returning it to him, but am paranoid about getting screwed over at some point by being accused of identity theft or something similar if the guy ever got into a bind with his credit. If his Social Security card wasnt in there, I really wouldnt be worried at all.

I thought I would just take it to the police and let them handle it but am wondering if they would allow me to hand it over to them anonymously.

Again, just being paranoid about the whole thing but any advice any of you can provide is appreciated.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
call me screwed up but hey this is america, survival of the fittest. Id clean out the cash from the wallet then put the wallet in an envelope and send it back to the owner. Just speakin the truth.

jshen

Established Member
Take the wallet...and all contents to the police...and get a receipt or copy of the police report with list of contents. The owner will consider you a hero..and you will be.

Last edited:

Silver03

Established Member
03silversvt said:
call me screwed up but hey this is america, survival of the fittest. Id clean out the cash from the wallet then put the wallet in an envelope and send it back to the owner. Just speakin the truth.

I hear ya man, and believe me it has crossed my mind, but I dont need the cash and without knowing someone's personal situation, I dont feel right taking it.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
03silversvt said:

And that is why we are going down hill. Total lack of integrity and intestinal fortitude.

jimljr145

Jimljr145
Established Member
Take the wallet to your local police department. You may need to tell them your name and where you found it. I would think the only reason you would be apprehensive about returning it is if you did take something from it. Since you say you did not, the noble thing to do would be to turn it in and save the owner of the property a whole lot of grief.

juzlookzfazt

Established Member
And when they finger print it, local PD is going to be at his door step lol. If you do decide to keep it, remember "do onto others as you want done unto you" .....or some shat like that lol. Me personally, I dont know if I would keep it or not, I'd probably keep it LOL. But the guy is probably upset over it like crazy, so you should return it. If you touched it with your bare fingers, good luck trying to return it, even if you return it anonymously (Im paranoid). Wow, just being a good person and returning missing property is so complicated these days, you run the risk of being sued for being courteous lol. You can always slip on a pair of gloves, buy him a new wallet, swap over all his belongings (hopefully you didnt touch those with your bare fingers), and return it to him, and explain the situation that your just trying to cover your own ass while being courteous. Hopefully he isnt a money-mongering-leech and doesn't find something to sue you over. Good luck lol.

Silver03

Established Member
juzlookzfazt said:
And when they finger print it, local PD is going to be at his door step lol. If you do decide to keep it, remember "do onto others as you want done unto you" .....or some shat like that lol. Me personally, I dont know if I would keep it or not, I'd probably keep it LOL. But the guy is probably upset over it like crazy, so you should return it. If you touched it with your bare fingers, good luck trying to return it, even if you return it anonymously (Im paranoid). Wow, just being a good person and returning missing property is so complicated these days, you run the risk of being sued for being courteous lol. You can always slip on a pair of gloves, buy him a new wallet, swap over all his belongings (hopefully you didnt touch those with your bare fingers), and return it to him, and explain the situation that your just trying to cover your own ass while being courteous. Hopefully he isnt a money-mongering-leech and doesn't find something to sue you over. Good luck lol.

Exactly my dilemma. I'm tempted to just toss it in the trash and give the money to charity.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Silver03 said:
So I found a wallet in a parking lot this weekend with a fair amount of money in it. It also contains the guy's ID, Social Security card, debit card, and other miscellaneous cards. I've looked on the internet for some info on the guy as far as a phone number but had no luck.

I have every intention of returning it to him, but am paranoid about getting screwed over at some point by being accused of identity theft or something similar if the guy ever got into a bind with his credit. If his Social Security card wasnt in there, I really wouldnt be worried at all.

I thought I would just take it to the police and let them handle it but am wondering if they would allow me to hand it over to them anonymously.

Again, just being paranoid about the whole thing but any advice any of you can provide is appreciated.

Look and see if he's listed in the phone book. Give him a call.

He'll be super happy. Karma will be on your side, and that's a huge bonus.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
juzlookzfazt said:
well in that case, your better off just taking the money and throwing the wallet into a fire. Ok all bs aside. I see why your afraid to just send it back. Yeah u should probably wait to see what one of these cops has to say. You could get screwed if you try to help the guy out

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Silver03 said:
And returning it anonymously makes me look guilty like someone here has already eluded to.

Returning it in any way is the best thing to do.

How does it make you look guilty if everything is there?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Why not put it in the mail to him? you can box it up and sent it anonymouly

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
03silversvt said:

I truely hope I never come across your path. I will def. be checking all my belongings if I do.

musclefan21

Established Member
go to local speedshop and throw a few mods your teminator and sell the wallet on ebay/

:D

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
03silversvt said:

ABSOLUTELY NO FRICKIN CLASS!:nonono: I hope it happens to you.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Silver03 said:
Exactly my dilemma. I'm tempted to just toss it in the trash and give the money to charity.

Which would make you a Thief in the same class as 03silversvt. From what you're saying I get the impression that you have something to hide and don't want the police to even give you minor attention.

Being honest whether it is anonymous or not is the way to go here. The only thing you have to get you through life is your integrity. If you have integrity you will either mail the wallet, intact, to it's owner or you will take it to the police. anything less .. makes your integrity suspect.

Silver03

Established Member
I can assure you that I have nothing to hide. Why would I even consider returning it to him if I were doing something sketchy with his belongings that I found? Your comments, RDJ, are the exact reason why I am skeptical about this. I have heard of people getting sued/accused of things for doing much more righteous deeds then this.

I posted this topic in this specific forum to get advice from a cop in order to avoid getting hung out to dry while trying to do the right thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread