Found an abandoned missile silo..

MAXX RS4

Established Member
Today me and a few buddies went out exploring our local woods. What we stumbled upon has left us shocked.. We found an abandoned missile base! There were easily over 80 bunkers, its own powerplant (the generator looked like a monstrous whipple), its own water supply, and many other buildings that we didnt get to see because we ran out of daylight. Here are osme pics I took before the batteries died in the camera.
dsc005650tc.jpg

dsc005665al.jpg

dsc005712mj.jpg

There were signs posted in some of the bunkers that we went in that said "MK 40Y1 WARHEAD" and "MK 40 MISSILE".. Anyone know about these missiles? I'm guessing this place was running during the cold war because it looks like it's been unoccupied atleast 20+ years now.. I'll be going back in the next week with a crowbar, bigass flashlight, and a few spare batts for the cam..

I'm sitll in awe of the whole place. I've never seen anything like it..

Last edited:

Blown408 86GT

94GT 617 rwhp fun machine
Established Member
Pretty cool...although I think what you might have found is an old ammo dump. Missile silos are below ground and usually are filled with concrete once the Air Force deactivates them. I've deactivated a few and its kind of cool...The equipment inside that we used to care and maintain was destroyed by us.

I've heard some of the Atlas and Titan sites being sold to the public...

fatboy01

Gonzo
Established Member
How long have you lived in your area? You just decided to go out into the woods and stumbled across a missle silo? That is bizarre, did you ever hear about it before you found it? When I was younger me and my buds were out in the woods and found some old shack and decided to make it our new hideout spot. A few weeks later we find out a murderer in our area had used the same place to hide for a few nights, luckily not any nights we were there.

also, those radioactive signs look pretty new... try not to get caught by the Feds

Last edited:

MAXX RS4

Established Member
Blown408 86GT said:
Pretty cool...although I think what you might have found is an old ammo dump. Missile silos are below ground and usually are filled with concrete once the Air Force deactivates them. I've deactivated a few and its kind of cool...The equipment inside that we used to care and maintain was destroyed by us.

I've heard some of the Atlas and Titan sites being sold to the public...

Clearly that machine in the last pic is to hold missiles. There were also signs posted that said "MK 40Y1 WARHEADS" .. if that's just ammo, then I don't know what to say.. I went into about 6 of those garages (the last pic) and they all had one of those things in it.. When I get more pics, maybe things will clear up better..

MAXX RS4

Established Member
fatboy01 said:
How long have you lived in your area? You just decided to go out into the woods and stumbled across a missle silo? That is bizarre, did you ever hear about it before you found it? When I was younger me and my buds were out in the woods and found some old shack and decided to make it our new hideout spot. A few weeks later we find out a murderer in our area had used the same place to hide for a few nights, luckily not any nights we were there.

I've lived here for about 8 years.. This isn't exactly my backyard. Now that me and my buddies all drive, we're able to go farther. We had to drive about 20 minutes and decided to treck into some woods that we've never seen before.

And this place has no grafitti anywhere, so I don't think many kids know about it.. I've never heard about it either.. It was probably a good 3 miles into the woods..

99GTtony

Rain city stanger
Established Member
It's more than likely an ammo depot from the cold war. Personally I would stay out, something about that big "Radioactive Materials" sign would keep me out. Still kinda cool though. Definitely get more pics of it.

ScrpnVNM

Established Member
HOLY SH!T!! That is pretty awesome. Are you not worried about the "radioactive materials"? Like someone said before, they look kind of new, I mean no rust or anything, even when the fence looks rusty. I don't blame you, I'd look all over the place if I was there.

Sniperfox

Kopfjaeger
Established Member
I noticed that you didn't post any "No Trespassing" signs. I would think that it would be posted as such. The radioactive materials are probably posted because of contamination from the stockpiles that were there. If so, proceed at your own risk. It's your lungs...your life. Go by a local hospital and ask an xray tech for one of those tags that react to radiation. That way, you will know for sure if you have commited suicide.

Last edited:

Blown408 86GT

94GT 617 rwhp fun machine
Established Member
MAXX RS4 said:
Clearly that machine in the last pic is to hold missiles. There were also signs posted that said "MK 40Y1 WARHEADS" .. if that's just ammo, then I don't know what to say.. I went into about 6 of those garages (the last pic) and they all had one of those things in it.. When I get more pics, maybe things will clear up better..

Google it...Mk 40s are small rockets launched by the Apache helicopter. I agree the last pic is some sort of missile "rail set". However, its very doubtful its an ICBM missile silo site. As I said, they are underground and are spread out many miles apart. You probably found an old Nike maintenance and storage dump. I think New Jersey had a ton of them back in the day.

SVT32V

Established Member
just take a geiger counter with you and explore "to infinity and beyond!!!..."(Buzz Lightyear) :D
griffin

ID3Racing

SVT FTW!
Established Member
that def held some kind of largee object(last pic) thats pretty sweet that you found that. i have seen some of those old missile silo home for sale on ebay and they have been decontaminated (i hope) looks like something outa a horrer movie.

Users who are viewing this thread