Found an abandoned missile silo..

Vashthestampede

Its not a TUMAH
Established Member
Zooming out on that picture it looks like thats part of the Naval Air Warfare Center.

That is actually an old BOMARC site off the far end of there 12,000ft runway.

And here is what the radioactive signs are from "On June 7, 1960, an explosion and fire occurred at the BOMARC site located in Fort Dix Military Reservation, bordering the western boundary of NAES. The missile was located in a launcher shelter approximately 1800 feet northwest of the extreme corner of NAES. NAES investigated the area and analyzed groundwater, surface water and sediment on its side of the fence for radioactive contamination. There was no indication of significant levels of radiological contamination on NAES property."

Its still actively owned by the military and that is an active naval base only about a thousand yards away so I'd be careful if I was you.

Pic
rc0xn4.jpg

Last edited:

REDBLITZ

Established Member
BLTONFirehawk said:
anyone that lives in Houston notice we never have abondoned anything lol, it will be sold and bought within a week, whatever it is haha

werd! i live in College Station and was searchin late last night online looking for some shit like that! We can colonize one. We shall call it..PETORIA (The Family Guy) :rockon:

Stop&turnFreak

Established Member
My dad worked on the Bomarc project. Be careful, some of those sites aren't what they seem. I have heard rumors they will be occupied, but will not show themselves unless you get too close to something 'of value'.

Teal93svt

Established Member
Yes we were allowed, we of course couldnt take pictures or anything. but we all were searched even me. i think i was about 11. My dad was stationed out of Whiteman AFB we ended up staying here. The Silo was out around Pleasant Hill, Missouri. It was really neat.

Blown408 86GT said:
You actually were allowed in a fully operational LCC? I was stationed in North Dakota for two years and worked on the Minuteman III. Security for both the LCC and LFs (missile silos) is extremely tight. You have to have a need to access them both. What base was this at?

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
BLTONFirehawk said:
anyone that lives in Houston notice we never have abondoned anything lol, it will be sold and bought within a week, whatever it is haha

Is the NASA place for Sale?

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Vashthestampede said:
Zooming out on that picture it looks like thats part of the Naval Air Warfare Center.

That is actually an old BOMARC site off the far end of there 12,000ft runway.

And here is what the radioactive signs are from "On June 7, 1960, an explosion and fire occurred at the BOMARC site located in Fort Dix Military Reservation, bordering the western boundary of NAES. The missile was located in a launcher shelter approximately 1800 feet northwest of the extreme corner of NAES. NAES investigated the area and analyzed groundwater, surface water and sediment on its side of the fence for radioactive contamination. There was no indication of significant levels of radiological contamination on NAES property."

Its still actively owned by the military and that is an active naval base only about a thousand yards away so I'd be careful if I was you.

Pic
rc0xn4.jpg

Here is what I found on my own search of your findings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Dix,_New_Jersey

Great find by the way.

glitch1985

SVT Poster
Established Member
01_OXFORD_SVT said:
Dude! we could make this an SVTP/MACA field trip!!
I'm not a part of MACA but would definately be down for looking at some neat buildings. northern virginia but would definately be willing to drive a few hours to meet/explore

GH1086

Established Member
If that is really that close the runway I would definitely be careful while exploring. I wish I could find stuff like this by me, the best things around here are an abandoned mental hospital (Letchworth) and Clinton Road in NJ which sucks, it's supposedly the most haunted road in NJ but I've been on it alot and haven't see anything but a deer. Also if for some reason you want to go on Clinton Road make sure you have plenty of sidewall on your tires, it's quite possibly the worst road for potholes I have ever driven on.

daplumma

Established Member
I was in the Navy and worked with radiation as my job (nuclear engineering tech). The "radioactive materials" sign means that there are radioactive materials in the area. The "radiation" sign means that there is known radiation beyond that point. Like someone said before, you need a Geiger counter to detect the amount of radiation that is being given off. A "film badge" is not going to do you a damn bit of good unless you can make it out alive to have it analyzed! Get the meter and instructions how to use it........ and have fun!!

PS
Radiation does NOT glow in the dark!!!

hmmmidunno

BANNED !!!!!!!!!!
Cobraing said:
Judging by the signs, don't be surprised if you wake up and your testicles decided not to work. Or you have a new arm that you affectionatly name Bobby. Or you just get Cancer. :lol:

Honestly more pics, that looks awesome

nice :lol:

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
Its kinda anti-climatic that all my government does to protect me from radiation is a rotted out chain link fence, with a bright yellow sign.... I think dogs, guard towers, and a moat would be sufficient...

frankin

Established Member
SteveChris said:
i know that site, they built it but then abondoned it after realizing that there's no good reason to defend jersey :shrug:

I'm from Jersey and I agree! :lol: Maybe there is a secret elevator that takes you to an experiment gone wrong, or maybe I watch too much Sci-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread