Found another lightning, but need advice.

Chadwick0585

Established Member
I found another lightning at a ford dealership, its a charcole grey color, very nice has a great sounding exhaust......They claim its stock but i took it out for a test drive, and it burys the boost guage. So when i got back i poped the hood and notice the huge boost pulley lol....The lady claims that its underwarrenty but i know better with the pully on there.....

I guess my main question is how would u know if the motor was tuned or not? bcz i dont wanna buy it and then drive outta there and have it blow, i know the motors can last with a good tune, is it really as easy as plugging in a programmer and tuning it that way? or must it be dyno tuned:shrug:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Every Stock lightning I have ever rode in buries th boost gauge. The stock lower pulley is 7 1/2 inches take a tape measure with you and measure it.

Chadwick0585

Established Member
Its not a stock pulley.....my last lightning only went to 8 pounds, when i stab this one it goes way beyond 10, as far to the side as it can.....it burns 1st, 2nd and some of 3rd from just pressing the gas, no brake.

i dunno maybe it was just my last one that dident......but i know that this pully is considerably larger than a stock one.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
My 04 always pegged the gauge when it was stock. The only way you can tell is to measure it
The ford dealer would of flashed the tune back to stock before putting the Lightning up for sale.

ra1nmakr

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
Chad, i got your IM a few days ago, i tried to reply but you werent on anymore. If you want i can go with you to check it out. if there isnt a chip directly hooked up to it, then it is pretty hard to tell if it is tuned or not. you might be able to find out by bringing it over to SCT and having them take a look at it. i am pretty sure they have the ability to "see" if the truck is tuned or not.

Chadwick0585

Established Member
ya i just got off the phone with the lady there, she had them take it back to there service dept. yesturday, and they said that it did have a pulley on there....and that its not warrenty like that.....i asked if they could chance the pully back to stock and she said no, that it wasent there policy.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
So go over an measure the pulley and see what size it is to determine the boost its been running at.. If its a 4# lower you should be safe. How many miles on the clock?

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Good luck. Check for all the right things like any type of fluid leaks. Have them start it up and see if it smokes after its warmed up. pull the trans dip stick and look at that fluid and the same with oil. Look under the rear and check for axle leaks. Feel the bottom of the trans and see if it has trans fluid on it. Just look it over with a fine tooth comb. If it checks out to be in great shape offer them a lot less than they are asking because of no warranty.

URBAN COWBOY

CITY SLICKER
Established Member
Chadwick0585 said:
when i stab this one it goes way beyond 10, as far to the side as it can.....it burns 1st, 2nd and some of 3rd from just pressing the gas, no brake.

Damn, that is bad azz! I might have to get one of them pulleys.

URBAN COWBOY

TXRickC

Established Member
In case you need a reference, stock pulley on the left.
It's 7.847" overall diameter
04pulleys.jpg

ra1nmakr

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
i was talking to Chad earlier, and i might have to take a trip down to the stealership with him to look over the truck. dont think they are going to try and give us the run around when we pull up in a modded L. but you never know.

LIGHTNINROD

Established Member
Why measure the lower pulley? If it doesn't have a cage, it's an after-market pulley:shrug: . Yes, it would be good to know the pulley diameter to figure out how much extra boost it giving but; cage=stock, no cage=modified except for that one pulley made a long time ago that had a cage too.

Dan

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
Are they selling it as a "Ford Certified" used vehicle?
If so, wouldn't that make it eligible for a factory warranty?
PS...
Don't forget to have them run a CarFax check for you too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread