Found the cure to our alternator woes!!!

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
My 03 has 16k miles, and no sign of alternator failure yet. I'm taking a road trip this weekend so my mind is on reliability. It's mostly highway and I don't step on it too often, so I'm not expecting any troubles... but, looks like Jamie at Start-N-Charge is still taking orders.

It seems like this is the bottom line for those with alternator problems:

Start-n-Charge 160amp with battery upgrade cable
Metco 3.2" underdrive pulley
Longer belt -- what size are most using with a stock lower?

Can Jamie include the UD pulley?

mrose75

Established Member
My 03 has 16k miles, and no sign of alternator failure yet. I'm taking a road trip this weekend so my mind is on reliability. It's mostly highway and I don't step on it too often, so I'm not expecting any troubles... but, looks like Jamie at Start-N-Charge is still taking orders.

It seems like this is the bottom line for those with alternator problems:

Start-n-Charge 160amp with battery upgrade cable
Metco 3.2" underdrive pulley
Longer belt -- what size are most using with a stock lower?

Can Jamie include the UD pulley?

Wait for it. Mine went out at 19K with upper only Eaton. I put a Whipple on last year and right after that my second alternator sh!t the bed at 22.5K, stock lower. I'm about to replace it but not sure which route to take. Larger Alt. Pulley w/Stock lower, bigger alternator, bigger pulley and route some air up there? Any input is appreciated.

Freakingstang

Established Member
Wait for it. Mine went out at 19K with upper only Eaton. I put a Whipple on last year and right after that my second alternator sh!t the bed at 22.5K, stock lower. I'm about to replace it but not sure which route to take. Larger Alt. Pulley w/Stock lower, bigger alternator, bigger pulley and route some air up there? Any input is appreciated.

my first one went at 21K. new ford lasted 4K, reman ford lasted 1800 miles, napa lasted 2K, auto zone made it from myrtle beach at mustang week home.....(750ish miles). had my original rebuilt at a hd rewind shop and it seems to be holding. upper only, upgraded wire and ground strap

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I have a 4lb lower, 3.2 Alt pulley and air directed to the bottom of the Alt. So far, no problems.

Cobra%20Mileage%20amp%20Air%20Duct%20012_zps9fenrknz.jpg

Cobra%20Mileage%20amp%20Air%20Duct%20010_zpsh5rv8j0m.jpg

mrose75

Established Member
I have a 4lb lower, 3.2 Alt pulley and air directed to the bottom of the Alt. So far, no problems.

Cobra%20Mileage%20amp%20Air%20Duct%20012_zps9fenrknz.jpg

Cobra%20Mileage%20amp%20Air%20Duct%20010_zpsh5rv8j0m.jpg

Yeah, I think I'm going to step out and get the 3.2 alternator pulley, a Start -n- Charge unit, running the ducting for more airflow and look into upgrading the wire/ground strap.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
The air duct does help. I've put my hand down there after a thirty minute drive in the summer and although the alt is warm, you can leave your hand on it.

mrose75

Established Member
Good deal, thanks. Do you happen to know off hand the diameter of the ducting required?

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Good deal, thanks. Do you happen to know off hand the diameter of the ducting required?

You'll need a 3" diameter duct. I have the industrial grade, high temp duct which will fit right on the air inlet. You can secure it with a hose clamp. Use 12" nylon cable ties to help stabilize and secure it under the alt. I also rigged the other air inlet to blow air through the fender well hole, onto the air filter in the engine bay. This stuff has been on the car for about 7 years, without any problems.

I bought the ducting from Livermore Performance

Part No. is N300.

350* Aircraft Neoprene Ducting 3"

Back in 2007 I bought 10' of it for $69 plus $11 for shipping.

Last edited:

mrose75

Established Member
Wow!! You either have an excellent memory or some very detailed records. Either way, very impressive!! Thanks! :beer:

MattG04

Established Member
its got a 2.9 on it. Which I just put on 2 months ago, Along with a set of Metco's.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
You'll need a 3" diameter duct. I have the industrial grade, high temp duct which will fit right on the air inlet. You can secure it with a hose clamp. Use 12" nylon cable ties to help stabilize and secure it under the alt. I also rigged the other air inlet to blow air through the fender well hole, onto the air filter in the engine bay. This stuff has been on the car for about 7 years, without any problems.

I bought the ducting from Livermore Performance

Part No. is N300.

350* Aircraft Neoprene Ducting 3"

Back in 2007 I bought 10' of it for $69 plus $11 for shipping.

They still show the Ducting in stock.

http://www.lpiracing.com/showsearch...ord=N300&submit.x=34&submit.y=17&submit=Go+>>

mrose75

Established Member
Awesome, thanks. I like how it's "extremely lightweight" yet weighs 5 pounds....:rolleyes:

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Awesome, thanks. I like how it's "extremely lightweight" yet weighs 5 pounds....:rolleyes:

That ducting is heavy duty stuff, so 10' of it probably is close to 5 pounds. I'm sure it can take a lot more than I've thrown at it. Cheaper stuff is out there but it's really a waste of money because it won't hold up.

mrose75

Established Member
I suppose, just seems contradictory. Anyhow, hope to hear back from Start -n-charge soon so I can get this ball rolling and maybe find out how much power I'm putting down before she gets packed away for the winter again.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I suppose, just seems contradictory. Anyhow, hope to hear back from Start -n-charge soon so I can get this ball rolling and maybe find out how much power I'm putting down before she gets packed away for the winter again.

We've still got about 4 months of nice weather here in the NE. It'll start to get cold in November, that's when I pull the plug.

mrose75

Established Member
Yeah, I can probably safely drive it until then, depending on when the first snow falls. But that depends on when the rain/snow starts up.

jpk

Established Member
I have all stock pullies on all my engine parts. If I go with the larger 3.2" pulley for the alternator, do I need to get a larger belt? I just ordered a new alternator and stock belt, so I'm considering doing the larger alternator pulley to try to extend its life.

CobraKyle

Established Member
I have all stock pullies on all my engine parts. If I go with the larger 3.2" pulley for the alternator, do I need to get a larger belt? I just ordered a new alternator and stock belt, so I'm considering doing the larger alternator pulley to try to extend its life.

Did you ever figure out how much longer of a belt you need when adding the 3.2" pulley on the alternator to your existing setup?

jpk

Established Member
Did you ever figure out how much longer of a belt you need when adding the 3.2" pulley on the alternator to your existing setup?

No, I got a PA Performance alternator that came with the stock pulley size installed. I also never installed it since it turned out to just be a bad battery and my alternator is still working. I have kept the alternator and belt as spares for the inevitable time when the original alternator does go out.

Users who are viewing this thread