Found the cure to our alternator woes!!!

Stage 4.6

Established Member
New Cobra owner here, purchased with very low miles and I just experienced the Alt. blues :nonono: My car has 24,xxx miles, I am so disappointed! My Alternator light came on for a while coming home from work at 1;00am I really don't want to experience getting stranded that late or early In the morning so I am very glad it made the 10 mile trip home.
I read through all six pages of this sticky and it seems like there is no real fix to the problem? Since many have had repeated issues. I am debating on purchasing an alternator from my local Ford dealer this weekend and ordering3.2 pulley?
Wondering if this is the safest bet or do you all still recommend, Jamie at SnC?

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I am still running the Start N Charge I bought in May of 2010.

I have put over 20K miles on it and had one issue, early on, that Jamie took care of.

He had a problem with some part that he had since found a new vendor for and repaired it for free.

I am also running a 3.2 Metco under drive pulley on it, that I added after Jamie sent it back.

Jamie is a great guy to deal with, wish all vendors ran their businesses like him.

-Brian

DrakeSnake

Semper Fi
Established Member
Burned up 3 and found that it happened at WOT most of the time. I put a 3.5 pully and that's a little bigger than I needed but I have not had any issues now that I have that installed. Just my 2cents.

Sent from my LG-P870 using Tapatalk 2

big dad

Established Member
Burned up 3 and found that it happened at WOT most of the time. I put a 3.5 pully and that's a little bigger than I needed but I have not had any issues now that I have that installed. Just my 2cents.

What's your pulley combo? IE, upper, lower, aux. idler, and after market additional pullies if any.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Yes i am,since Oct of 2010:beer:

Hey Jamie, My name is Will, I ordered an alternator from you last week 29 August, was suppose to be a 2 day delivery. The scheduled delivery date was 31st August, as of today 3 Sept. 1230pm mountain time I have not received the alternator? I tried calling your number but I get an answering machine. I would really appreciate a call and status of my paid part. last entry on the USPS tracking was 30 August.

03CobraJack

Established Member
Another guy here with alternator issues :fm:. Although the alternator hasn't gone completely out..at high speeds it runs 'fine', as soon as it sits in traffic for a few minutes the radio turns off and the abs light comes on. If I rev it, the radio comes back to life and the abs light turns off. Seems like alt is not producing enough juice...

I haven't pulled the alt off to have it checked yet, but I'm guessing it'll be the problem (had the battery charged only to have it drained again).

It's my 2nd alternator from ford, I thought I would give the START 'N CHARGE a chance...How do I go about ordering one?

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
I think I just burnt up my Alternator at the track tonight. During my burnout and my pass my battery light when on(under boost and high RPM) but as soon as i slowed down after the pass the batter light slowly went off.
On the way home i would get under boost and the light would come on. Fried?
Get a reman and 3.2-3.5 pulley?

Think I just replaced this one 3 years ago too.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Mine has been flickering at me on occasions? but still charging luckily. I ordered a new alt last week 2 day delivery and USPS lost it still haven't received it. trying to track it now.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Finally got my alt. I didn't use the wiring upgrade but it seems to be working fine, no flickering batt. light.

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
DrakeSnake said:

[/I]

Someone gets it.

I got it.

I put on a 3.2 Metco alternator pulley when I replaced my alternator this summer with a Ford Racing 130 amp alt.

I am running a stock lower and Metco recommends the 3.0 pulley, but I wanted to leave room to be able to put on a 4lb lower. So far, while just on the stock lower, no issues with the 3.2 pulley.

Last edited:

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
On my car my tuner set my rev limiter at 7500 rpm nearly every time I hit the rev limiter I would fry the alternator. I went thru 6 of them in the last year I finally ordered the ebay 200 amp and put a 3.2 metco pulley on it and had not had any issues at all. Iam running a stock lower as well....

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I have a new Start n Charge 160 amp with wire upgrade, 3.2 pulley and stock lower. It has maybe 200 miles on it. Last night I took the car out for a drive. After engine temps were warm I made a few hard 1st to 2nd gear pulls and the battery light came on for a few seconds. I watched voltage on my Aeroforce gauge and it was at 14.4 and never dropped below 13.5 volts.

I drove it around for about 5 minutes and tried it again. It didn't come on again. I don't know why it was happening? Also have a new OEM Motorcraft battery in it.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I have a new Start n Charge 160 amp with wire upgrade, 3.2 pulley and stock lower. It has maybe 200 miles on it. Last night I took the car out for a drive. After engine temps were warm I made a few hard 1st to 2nd gear pulls and the battery light came on for a few seconds. I watched voltage on my Aeroforce gauge and it was at 14.4 and never dropped below 13.5 volts.

I drove it around for about 5 minutes and tried it again. It didn't come on again. I don't know why it was happening? Also have a new OEM Motorcraft battery in it.

Iam in the same situation? Have had mine for 2 months now same set up as mentioned above have had no issues, until yesterday took my car out got on it and my alt light flickered on?

04silversnake

Established Member
Tick.. tock.. tick.. tock.. tick... :-D

At this point in time, I am still OK with my OE replacement with a 3.2 Metco pulley on a stock lower.
I am however going to add some ducting and hope that it will live even longer.

I do think that ducting and an underdrive alt pulley are a very good idea and worth the time and effort, even on a stock lower car.

Did you have to get a longer belt after the 3.2 Metco Alt pulley?

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I did, I have the 4lb. lower 3.2 alt pulley and 2.78 upper blower pulley I believe mine is a gates green belt 780HD. Reason I am saying "I believe" is cause I am at work and not home to look under the hood.

04silversnake

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I currently only have the bf 2.76 upper. The lower is the stock. Already gone thru a few alt and ready to get a 3.20 to see if the new alt last a little longer. Wanted to know if someone with same set up used the factory length belt or a larger one.

Users who are viewing this thread