Found the cure to our alternator woes!!!

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
I was thinking about over the past year. I am interested in these custom brackets. Do you have pictures or templates of the brackets? What did you use in place of the alternators? Did you use an idler pulley?

First of all to note I purchased these brackets of a guy that designed these for NA 32V timing cover. Not sure if bolt locations would even be the same for 03-04 timing covers.

It's intention was so there was no need to do the eaton conversion with the 03-04 timing cover and pulley bridge.

The obvious inherent beauty of these brackets is the movement of the alternator to the accessory belt. My 150,000 mile alternator is still in perfect condition and I am looking forward to seeing how much longer it lasts.

Here is a better view off another car.

to-be-filed-391.jpg

It is two brackets. One for the alternator and one for the tensioner and adjustable idler.

The man behind these brackets is Terry Gorsuch @ [email protected].

Not sure how economical this would be for the 03-04 guys.

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
Alternator sent back out to me yesterday. Should have it by tomorrow is my guess. Less than an hour I'll have it back in and the car will be up and running. Looks like I will make the Knotts show in two weeks. Then hopefully Fontana for a little street legal drag racing the following week. Thanks to Jamie at Start N Charge for the quick turn around.
I think he was building yours and mine at the same time. lol I'm looking forward to trying out a S & C alternator, as mine took a crap on the way to TX2K11 and we had to get the car hauler out and bring it home. We ended up taking my brothers 2010 Tundra :nonono: damn it! I will have my stock one rebuilt and have a spare. . . . just for such an occasion, so i'll be prepared next time.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
Jamie, you back up and running?
x2 ???????? i`m guessing yes since flying got his new S-N-C alt.

First of all to note I purchased these brackets of a guy that designed these for NA 32V timing cover. Not sure if bolt locations would even be the same for 03-04 timing covers.

It's intention was so there was no need to do the eaton conversion with the 03-04 timing cover and pulley bridge.

The obvious inherent beauty of these brackets is the movement of the alternator to the accessory belt. My 150,000 mile alternator is still in perfect condition and I am looking forward to seeing how much longer it lasts.

to-be-filed-391.jpg

It is two brackets. One for the alternator and one for the tensioner and adjustable idler.

wow thats pretty cool & yea i`m not sure if it would work on our cars but it might be worth a shot to see if it helps to keep from eating alts !!

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member

to-be-filed-391.jpg

This needs looking into. I like everything about that setup.....

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
I talked to somebody about that conversion a couple years ago,it sure looks nice.My only concern was the alternator is mounted backwards and the cooling fins on the rotor are angled for directional airflow.I asked my rotor supplier if they had reverse rotor fans for them & got laughed at.:p

Being out in the open like that might help with cooling it,how long have you been running it?

Thats also a much better alternator than the 03-04 Cobra.It's the 4G 130amp that fits early Cobra,Mach 1,Bullit & Lightning.They can be built to 200amps.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
I talked to somebody about that conversion a couple years ago,it sure looks nice.My only concern was the alternator is mounted backwards and the cooling fins on the rotor are angled for directional airflow.I asked my rotor supplier if they had reverse rotor fans for them & got laughed at.:p

Being out in the open like that might help with cooling it,how long have you been running it?

Thats also a much better alternator than the 03-04 Cobra.It's the 4G 130amp that fits early Cobra,Mach 1,Bullit & Lightning.They can be built to 200amps.

It is my 150,000 mile original alternator. Have been running it for a month still perfect. Will continue to update.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
That reverse mount is a sweet looking setup.

Looks like it will have more room to breathe as well.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
As I said I don't know how cost effective this mod would be for the 03-04 guys. I have an 01 Cobra timing cover on my MMR900 and this bracket setup is designed for my style timing cover. The question is does the 03-04 timing cover still retain the same bolt locations as the 01 timing cover. If so this would be alot easier to do.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member

Was wondering what the consensus on this mod was. Anyone done anything like this to cool their alternator. Thinking about doing this in conjunction with fabricating a heat shield to shield the alternator from the header. I don't want to get to the point where I can change an alternator as quick as I can do a pulley swap.

Nevermind:

Well looks like this item was discontinued. Haven't been able to find anything else like it. Might have to fab something up. The setup wasn't rocket science.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
Just an update on the cooling fan. On the highway my alternator temps are 165* vs 155* with the cooling fan on. Idling in my garage without the fan on it's about 170* and with the fans on it's about 7-10* hotter. When the cooling fan kicks in the hot air from the radiator saturates the alternator. I do have the highest flowing cfm fan you can get. I did notice that the fans are coming on sooner with the brake fan on due to the higher load on the alternator. I took temps about 4 different times, each time was when the engine cooling fan turned off til it turned on again.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Mine stock one is still ok at 31K, i would like to upgrade it while motor is out, what amp one should i get ? i only got stock radio > no bump here.
I do have a 3.20 or 3.25 metco pulley i still have, when i ran a 6 lb lower with the eaton.
if stock is 105 so called amps. what would i need '
better yet paste a link to Start N Charge

thanks subn

bizzmeister

Captain America
Established Member
Guys, im reading this thread but what alternator would you say is the best to get ? Ive gone through 3 already and the dealership keeps putting in refurbished ones that take a dump after a couple full throttle pulls in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear.

Im soo frickin upset dude. Which alternator should I get to once and for all end my problems? Someone please link me to one and someone please link me to a bigger pulley for that alternator too ?

rookieterminato

Established Member
My Battery light just came on, car ran good and even started back up and got me home after spending an hour shut down while i was at a budys house. Whats the price on the Alternators u sell Mr Jamie. I have a 2.76 lower on my Eaton with no upgraded lower pulley. Can a guy do this in his garage with basic tools. After i sold my fox i dont like touching this car when i has problems not that it has had many. BTW im almost at 90 thousand miles and its the first time it happens. hope the next one last the same. Thanks.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I want to post, just to show interest in brackets that would let me mount like V6&V8SHO.

03 Cobra, 44k on the stock alternator. 7K pullied.

46stang

Established Member
just an FYI, but I also have a 98 mustang GT with a trickflow intake on it. With that intake they give you a kit to reverse mount your alternator. I too was concerned about the directional fan not cooling the alt. properly like this but surprisingly it works. I use a bullit/cobra alt, btw and it's been on for 10K miles and still charges good no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread