Fox News Interview with Jamal on the GT 350

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Its funny, I posted this on Mustang 6G as well, and another member, a moderator, "moved" my post into a post he created after mine. Same title and all. I was a little taken aback by this. I guess new members do not get to take credit for cool stuff? I just deleted my post. Oh well...

Anyway... I would love to have the Voodoo stuffed into my Foxbody. Would be a lot of fun in that light chassis. Hopefully it will not be as expensive as a GT 500 crate engine...

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Its funny, I posted this on Mustang 6G as well, and another member, a moderator, "moved" my post into a post he created after mine. Same title and all. I was a little taken aback by this. I guess new members do not get to take credit for cool stuff? I just deleted my post. Oh well...

Anyway... I would love to have the Voodoo stuffed into my Foxbody. Would be a lot of fun in that light chassis. Hopefully it will not be as expensive as a GT 500 crate engine...

Well, 6G just explained that my post was merged with another that was posted in the wrong place, but it was just weird. Oh, well.

I know Ford seems to be dancing a little on the info for this car, but I think they are waiting until Detroit and the GT 350R as well as seeing what the Camaro will bring.

A word on the Camaro... I do not think it will weigh any less than the 2015 Mustang and may even weigh more. The Camaro will be based on the new CTS which is a beefier version of the chassis introduced on the ATS. I believe this will be done to give the Camaro more room with beefier engines as well as improve track width, tire size capability, etc. The specs I have seen on the 2015 CTS 3.6 Turbo Sedan show it to still be porky. The Camaro will of course be a two door, but it will have a beefy suspension, drivetrain, etc. compared to the CTS. More in line with a CTS-V when it is introduced. Another reason I believe it will weigh more than the Camaro guys are hoping is the Vette. The new Vette gained some weight and even the Z06 with its lightweight body bits weighs right at 3,600 lbs. Now a Camaro outperforming or performing on par with a Vette will be a no no. I doubt the Camaro will get a smaller LTI, so I am guessing weight will keep its performance in check. Vette sales are usually pretty good and Chevy will not want to cut into that.

Just a guess, but I think I may be proven right.
I say the Camaro will weigh within 50 or so lbs of the Mustang. Maybe more, maybe less. I actually predict a little more.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Sounds like someone is trying to build street cred.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Did anybody else read between the lines when he said the GT350 would be "a different kind of halo car" that there's not going to be a GT500 for the S550? If the GT350/GT350R performs as well as I hope, I'm okay with that. Like I said in another thread, we don't need another musclebound cretin of a Mustang. If they [could] produce another GT500 that can actually deal with its power, that's another story.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... The new Vette gained some weight and even the Z06 with its lightweight body bits weighs right at 3,600 lbs. Now a Camaro outperforming or performing on par with a Vette will be a no no. I doubt the Camaro will get a smaller LTI, so I am guessing weight will keep its performance in check. ...

That's some serious rounding up you did there. The Z06 weighs 3,524 pounds. Add in the Level 3 aero package and it probably doesn't gain much more than 10 or 15 pounds. As far as a Camaro outperforming the Corvette, the Z/28 outperforms the base Corvette. Add the Z51 package and the tide turns back toward the Corvette. Nothing the Camaro team produces is going to come near the Z06. (And neither is the GT350/GT350R.)

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
as far as i'm concerned, the corvette isn't any more relevant than MB's 4400lb 2 seater SL roadster. these cars don't weigh this much because of "safety standards", "emissions", or any other bullshit excuse that gets thrown out there, but rather because the engineers just didn't give a shit about reducing weight when designing them. i mean, they weigh more than the new viper(which didn't gain ANY weight over the previous generation, and in fact lost about 75lbs if appropriately optioned), with it's big ass 550lb 8.4l V10. it's pure laziness in the design and engineering stage, plain and simple. like hameedi said in an interview, there is no silver bullet that'll drop a large amount of weight without going to a composite tub, but there are still a LOT of ways - even inexpensive ones - that weight can still be reduced.
yea, yea, i get that the C7 is putting down supercar numbers. but that doesn't mean that it's not an atrociously overweight pig of a fiberglass bodied 2 seater. and the sad thing is that, alfa romeo 4C(right at the 2000lb mark in its lightest form with a $54k MSRP) and toyobaru twins aside(and, to a MUCH lesser extent, the Z28, GT350, and new miata also), this is the direction that the auto industry is moving towards; lazy design and engineering with computers and absurdly huge and ungodly stick tires making up for it.
[/rant]

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
these cars don't weigh this much because of "safety standards", "emissions", or any other bullshit excuse that gets thrown out there, but rather because the engineers just didn't give a shit about reducing weight when designing them.
[/rant]

You literally could not be more wrong. Make up any statement you can think of that is in total contradiction with fact, and it will be, at best, equally wrong with the above.

Meeting stringent FVMSS is absolutely a primary reason adult-sized sports cars have gained significant weight. Even if you de-content a car to death, you have no hope of approaching what used to be considered light, and the reality is car companies build what people want to pay money for, which is not pint-size stripped-out cars. This applies to cars based off basic models like the Mustang, or ground-up supercars like an Aventador or an MP4.

p.s, you're off by about 500 lbs on the curb weight off the Italian death trap, and I'm quite sure like all other Italian quoted "weights" it's off by at least 10%.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
yea, yea, i get that the C7 is putting down supercar numbers. ...

We don't know that yet.

You might be forgetting that the new Z06 is supercharged. Positive displacement superchargers add a truckload of weight. Why do you think the GT500 is so much heavier than the GT? That rear spoiler and front splitter might weigh 10 pounds total. The rest of that weight is supercharger parts. (I'm talking pre-'13.) Had GM gone the naturally aspirated route, the Z06 would be significantly lighter. And I'm betting they feel pretty stupid right about now, knowing that Ford, of all companies, is putting a high-ass revving flat plane crank V8 in a Mustang! :D You can pretty much take it to the bank that the next Z06 won't be supercharged. Hell, maybe Ford's move will push GM to finally go mid-engine with the Corvette. Look at us Americans. Goin' all exotic and shit. hahaha

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
You literally could not be more wrong. Make up any statement you can think of that is in total contradiction with fact, and it will be, at best, equally wrong with the above.

Meeting stringent FVMSS is absolutely a primary reason adult-sized sports cars have gained significant weight. Even if you de-content a car to death, you have no hope of approaching what used to be considered light, and the reality is car companies build what people want to pay money for, which is not pint-size stripped-out cars. This applies to cars based off basic models like the Mustang, or ground-up supercars like an Aventador or an MP4.

p.s, you're off by about 500 lbs on the curb weight off the Italian death trap, and I'm quite sure like all other Italian quoted "weights" it's off by at least 10%.

+65,000

The 'vette didn't have any superfluous material to lose in its redesign. In order to perform better (make the car stiffer), meet the new crash safety regulations, and seriously update the interior they had to add weight. The only way to avoid it is to go to super expensive materials, which will add a lot to the cost. GM already has the general processing down for the fiberglass and aluminum components in the 'vette. New tooling/processing costs alone to move to a lighter material would probably be astronomical for a car that sells 30K units a year on a good year.

I admittedly don't know much about vipers, love their styling but never kept up on the chassis and things. I would wager that the viper lost weight because they had more areas and a larger budget to do it with. The viper stickers for a lot more than a base 'vette even after the price cut.

specizripn

Established Member
Why do you think the GT500 is so much heavier than the GT? That rear spoiler and front splitter might weigh 10 pounds total. The rest of that weight is supercharger parts.

Not necessarily. The Trinity is a decent bit heavier than the coyote even without the supercharger

TORQUERULES

Established Member
That's some serious rounding up you did there. The Z06 weighs 3,524 pounds. Add in the Level 3 aero package and it probably doesn't gain much more than 10 or 15 pounds. As far as a Camaro outperforming the Corvette, the Z/28 outperforms the base Corvette. Add the Z51 package and the tide turns back toward the Corvette. Nothing the Camaro team produces is going to come near the Z06. (And neither is the GT350/GT350R.)

Well I knew it was under 3600, but I have seen heavier than what you listed. I never said the Camaro would out perform the Z06, but they do not want it close or out perform the base Vette. Not arguing, I get what you say, but Chevy has to deal with the same regulations, etc. as Ford so I say the Camaro will be heavier than many think.

bpmurr

Established Member
Sounds like someone is trying to build street cred.

Oh a side note, when are you going to change this section of the forum to 2016 Shelby GT350 from 2016+ SVT 'Cobra' Mustang? :)

Randy M

Established Member
Oh a side note, when are you going to change this section of the forum to 2016 Shelby GT350 from 2016+ SVT 'Cobra' Mustang? :)

And is the site's name going to change to 999performance.com ?

edit: Just checked, that domain is not available.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread