FR500 Catback

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
I see many posts about catback exhausts. I have heard a Magna-flow, it sounded awesome, and the price is good.I am ready to order one but before I do, does anyone have any info on the FR 500 catback system? How does it sound, cost, and best place to buy? Also does the Magna-flow have angle cut tips? Thanks:beer:

Ron Short

Established Member
I've installed three FR-500 catbacks to date and have a little insight. One thing I didn't like was it looks like a stock catback. Same tubing and muffler housing appearance, tip appearance, etc. It's also very, very quiet. Too quiet for my tastes. It comes to close to the diff weight and some guys have complained about it banging against it. And last, it's grossly over priced. Especially for what it is!! You're looking at $600+ for this thing if you can find a deal for one.

MaganFlow's is definitely louder, and the polished stainless mufflers and tips look nicer. It's mandal bent tubing looks more expensive as well. And yes, all of MagnaFlow's 4.6 kits now use the same fully adjustable angle cut tip with their logo on the upper edge. With this catback costing $225+ less than the FR-500, it sounding more impressive, looking nicer, and making more gains, it's the obvious choice in my opinion.

03DOHC

Established Member
Welcome to the site!:beer: You'll get as many different opinions on exhausts as you will on air filters, but I have to agree that the magnaflow cat-back sounds good and performs well. I paired that with a magnaflow catted x-pipe and she not only sounds nice, she performs very well.

The tips have a very slight angle cut to them.

Smrgol

Originally posted by CSCOBRA03
I see many posts about catback exhausts. I have heard a Magna-flow, it sounded awesome, and the price is good.I am ready to order one but before I do, does anyone have any info on the FR 500 catback system? How does it sound, cost, and best place to buy? Also does the Magna-flow have angle cut tips? Thanks:beer:

I've got the FR500 on mine. It is expensive and is a little tougher to install because the rear pipes are coupled together. I have no problems with bumping or rubbing anything on the underside. With the stock exhaust it is very quiet under low throttle and, if I recall, barely as loud as stock at WOT. However, with a full exhaust, x-pipe and headers, it is very nice. It's got a nice rumble at low throttle and has a higher pitched, exotic sound at WOT.

It's still quieter then the Magnaflows and Borlas I've heard and I like that, myself.

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
I like mine and its stainless steel. I get a small vibe inside one of my mufflers when the flapper doors open at 2800rpms but other than that I am very happy with it. It is quite a bit louder than stock, but looks like stock so whenever somebody gives me shit about it, (neighbor's wives) I simply say "it came that way".

cobrabruce

Established Member
I have the FR500 on mine. I had no problems with fit hooking it up to the stock cat-back. When I installed long tubes and H pipe with cats I had to lenghten the drivers side pipe about an inch. It's definately louder than stock but not so loud you need to turn the stereo way up to hear it.
I got mine thru Gene Evans Ford for 599 plus shipping.

FriedRice

Established Member
It would be nice to run the fr500 cat back with some better mufflers like the magnaflows. I like the X at the rear of the car. I am thinking of welding in a crossover into mine just for the hell of it.

cobra0103

Established Member
I installed my FR500 by myself with rhino ramps without any great difficulty considering it was the first time I ever worked on an exhaust. It gives more exhaust sound feed back compared to stock. Still think the 01 is slightly louder though. I prefer not to have it too loud yet still increase power over stock.I will dyno this spring. If the results are not that great I'll add a catted x pipe.

There were 13.6hp gains in the 01 (www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/0201mmff_500exhaust/index.html )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread