Free-agent Kovalchuk staying with Devils

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I'm glad he didn't go to the western conference and since I knew the Bruins were never in the market for him, I'm actually glad he stayed with the Devils but damn, 17 years is insane.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I'm glad he didn't go to the western conference and since I knew the Bruins were never in the market for him, I'm actually glad he stayed with the Devils but damn, 17 years is insane.

It's a very cap friendly deal from what the AP reported.

Kovalchuk will earn $6 million each of the next two seasons, $11.5 million for the following five seasons, $10.5 million in the 2017-18 season, $8.5 million for the 2018-19 season, $6.5 million in 2019-20, $3.5 million in 2020-21, $750,000 the following season, and $550,000 for the final five years of the unprecedented deal.

In his first playoff series with the Devils, he had two goals and was sent packing by the Flyers!

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
17 years / $102 million

The guy will be 44 when the contract is done! I know that he has scored the most goals in the NHL since the 2001-2002 season. Is he worth it? He's not Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Malkin, Heatley or Thorton

I missed this comparison 1st time around. He's right up there with Ovechkin and Crosby and above Malkin, Heatley and Thornton. He's as dynamic a player there is in the world so yea, he should be paid accordingly.

After reading why the NHL rejected this deal, I'm still not sure why. :??: But it seems like it just needs to be tweaked a bit. Or a lot. haha.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
it got denied because they know he wont play another 17 years especially for 550k the last five years its just an easy way to work around the cap

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
it got denied because they know he wont play another 17 years especially for 550k the last five years its just an easy way to work around the cap

I guess that's what I don't understand. Why can't they just knock of those 5 years and give him a 12 year deal? I mean 550k is chump change when you're talking 100 million dollar deal.

Users who are viewing this thread