Friend was Hit by Car (Surgeon)

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Today, I got word that my friend was hit by a car while training for a triathalon. He is an oral surgeon. He was with two other guys that train with him. They were on their bikes and he was in the middle. A lady on her cell-phone plowed him down. He went on her hood and directly smacked his head on a guard rail on the way down. He is now in the ICU in and out of consciousness. The only information on his condition is that he has a broken arm and a broken hand. Keeping in mind that he is an oral surgeon, this is his lively-hood. Depending on the seriousness of these fractures and his recovery, this could end his hard-earned career and jeopardize his family's well-being. On top of that, his wife is 8-months pregnant with his 3rd baby. An event like this could pre-maturely induce labor for her. David is a top-notch guy (one of the best guys I know). He's only 33 with a great life ahead of him. Please keep him in your prayers.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
Sorry to hear that, he should be fine and recovery quickly. Is he in a state of unconsciousness due to the accident or indueced?

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Sorry to hear that, he should be fine and recovery quickly. Is he in a state of unconsciousness due to the accident or indueced?

The only word I got from the hospital was that he was in and out of consciousness before during routine ICU procedures. I'm guessing that's not as big of a concern as his hand. His practice depends on his motor control in his hands. I've known of a couple surgeons who have had hand injuries that were forced to leave their specialties and spend years moving to non-motor skilled specialties like radiology (5 years). I know someone who was in a car wreck that had a normal job, but there was significant brain trauma, and now he competes in the special olympics. These are serious concerns I have being close to him and his family.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
I hope to heavens the woman had insurance.... Wish him the best, be there for him and stay postivie, it will help more than you know.

Yes, they are definately insured. He has a huge group of friends that are there with him through this situation. I'm looking for updates, and I'm not sure how serious this is. From the info I have, it could either be very serious, i.e. brain swelling multiple un-repairable fractures to the hand, or mildly serious, i.e. minor concussion and simple single-point fracture to the hand.

I'm so pissed off at the lady that did this. This is the ideal rags-to-riches family of a remarkable surgeon with a great family with young kids trying to enjoy life and raise their kids well. Then some idiot ruins this for them. I'm at a loss for words.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
That's terrible, I pray he makes a full recovery. I reality, I'm sure the woman driving the car is not handling this very well either, if that makes any difference.

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
People don't look for bikes! Pedeled or motor. The woman that hit me had insurance, the state minimum $25,000. Doesn't do too much. I hope your friend has a speedy recovery, can continue work, and that the woman had a large insurance policy.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
That sucks. However, as a surgeon, his insurance should cover him very well were he unable to operate again. I would be more concerned about the head injury.

Users who are viewing this thread