Friendly Encounter with a 13 / 14 Shelby

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
Before I say anything, let me make my position as an admirer of the new (well, all) Shelbys perfectly clear. If I could sell all my vehicles and buy one, I would but I would still be about 30K short.

That being said, I woke up early this morning and decided to hop on the bike and head from Mexico to Ocean City for the car show. I left the Lightning in the garage since I had just driven it to the NMRA event at MIR. There was very little traffic at 8:30 - so the headlights approaching my six caught my attention quick. Lone behold, it was a black '13 or '14 GT500. Guy cruises on by, minding his own. Well I'm just excited to see one of these cars so I speed up, follow him through a couple slower cars and get next to him with wide open road ahead.

I look over, give him a big thumbs up, and he reciprocates with the same and a smile. I bump down a couple gears to see if he is by any chance interested in a go. He immediately slows down to ~65ish (I am assuming down shifting) and before I know it, I see his front lift up and begin to pull. I caught another gear which put me in third; it shoulda been second because this bike LOVES a mid-high second gear pull but I just grabbed a fist full of throttle. The mid range is pretty stout on it. I immediately stop his pull and proceed to put ~4 cars by 140 when I let off. He pulls up next to me, big ass grin on his face, we exchange thumbs up again and I fall in behind him.

There was so many of these darn Mexican highway cops out there I don't think either of us were willing to give it another go. I wanted to follow him and chat but he went into town a different way than me, but gave another wave when he exited. I am pretty positive that the car was stock. It didn't appear to have DR's or exhaust or anything that stuck out indicating otherwise. Seemed like a pretty chill guy!

Last edited:

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
My cousin thought he'd have a go at me with his hayabusa with just a Muzzy and PC5 tuner. I just got done installing my clutch and he was itching to see how bad he'd beat me by.

My gt500 is fairly stockish with some bolt on's. 60-135 mph it was just about dead even. past there he pulled on me pretty good once he broke my draft. I killed him on the holeshot with the M/T drag radials

he can't launch without wheelies, so I hit him hard out of the hole but he caught up by the time I hit 60 but the 2-3 shift is where we stayed even carrying 3rd to 135 mph at 7000 rpm and i just let off as the Drag radials suck at speeds in 4 gear, too wobbly...

It'll suprise alot of bikes I'm sure. Especially for a convertible. I hope to hit 10.5's this week in the 1/4. I got to break in the clutch a little easier, but it's holding and shifting like MAD!

all my buddies went to ocean city for the car show. smoked clutch kept me wrencing all weekend.

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
I was totally prepared for the very real possibility of me losing. As a few others have said as well, a few bolt on's and it could have been different.

Zerohe

Bro do you even Boost?
Established Member
There was a thread similar to this not so long ago titled "what does it take to hang with a liter bike" interesting speculation and good facts. I know for a fact with my Busa, i have NEVER ran into a car on the street that has given me trouble on the bike. 100whp could change things if its close and your going against a novice rider, but a mean bike(250-300hp) and a great rider is a death sentence to anything less than a UGR grade car and a headache to anything within that realm. A stretched, intake, tune and brocks pipe on a GSXR 1000 has put buses on a Shelby, ive been there to witness it.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I always say anything can happen on the street and bikes are iffy. Sometimes you run into riders and sometimes their are posers. I've had guys tell me they beat Busas and I raced them with a poor showing. SWB strapped with pipe, power commander, and geared I run on average 1.53-1.57 sixty foot. 6.03-6.15 @ 120-122. The 1/4 average 9.23-9.34 @ 151-153. So it's no hard to lay waste to most all cars in the street. Unlike a car the bike hooks everywhere. However I see 11.00 and 12 second passes from Busas all day so definitely believable.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
I always say anything can happen on the street and bikes are iffy. Sometimes you run into riders and sometimes their are posers. I've had guys tell me they beat Busas and I raced them with a poor showing. SWB strapped with pipe, power commander, and geared I run on average 1.53-1.57 sixty foot. 6.03-6.15 @ 120-122. The 1/4 average 9.23-9.34 @ 151-153. So it's no hard to lay waste to most all cars in the street. Unlike a car the bike hooks everywhere. However I see 11.00 and 12 second passes from Busas all day so definitely believable.

What do you ride?

I know when I had my bike I didn't push it to its limits.

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
any time you beat a street bike unless you are making a ton of power, its cause of rider error or lack of balls. It takes something special to want to put a street bike into 1st gear and start from there on a roll race sub 50mph, and the wring out each gear well into the shift light coming on, and then in a close race to keep going through 4th into 5th.

I remember the first time i took 4gears through red line on my 03 R6. What a rush!

Users who are viewing this thread