Front Bumper Question

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
in my endless quest to get my car back to the street somewhat more functional I ended up looking at the front bumper. I chose the 03-04 cobra bumper because it has the largest opening.
now my question is what kind of chin spoiler or splitter works best? right now I have a mach 1 chin spoiler that I was going to put on the cobra bumper. the car has KW coilovers set to the highest settings so I can't test fit the bumper with the chin spoiler to check ground clearance. for reference it should look pretty much like this cobra (ground clearance wise)

6636wp.jpg

now for road racing, is this bumper/chin spoiler combo good enough or should I look into the steeda or maybe even tiger racing splitter?

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
if your looking for something functional, none of the oem stuff will do anything, you will need to buy a real splitter, the chin spoilers are mostly just for looks from my understanding. (maybe slightly decrease drag, but definitely not creating any downforce)

a little off topic, how do you like the kw's?
I've rode in/drove other cars with them and love the valving. They ride surprisingly well on the street too.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
so a splitter like the one from tiger racing would be perfect... wish they would make one for standard width fenders.

love the KWs, car handles great with just the base settings. I never even got to play with the adjustments, I have the variant 3 that is adjustable for compression and rebound. motor blew up before I got the chance to try out everything.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
I was also wondering about puttin' the Mach 1 chin spoiler on my 03' Cobra???

:shrug:

Later...Dave

racebronco2

Established Member
Either the mach or cobra chin spoiler works best for the street. If you want downforce you will need the splitter but everyone i have seen on the street for anytime has had damage to it. It needs to be reinforced because it will start to flutter over 100mph.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Either the mach or cobra chin spoiler works best for the street. If you want downforce you will need the splitter but everyone i have seen on the street for anytime has had damage to it. It needs to be reinforced because it will start to flutter over 100mph.

I saw that happen to my friend's 01 Cobra with a cheapy (fake) Cobra R splitter, when all was said and done...he should had paid the extra beans for the (real) Cobra R piece.

From what I've seen front splitters need to be reineforced and tied into the bumper to keep it from fluttering at high speeds.

Almost not worth having one on the street because of speed bumps, curbs, pot holes, etc. A removable one for the track seems like the way to go.

I was thinking about the Mach 1 chin spoiler but the price is now through the roof. Back in 2004-2005, you could get one for $59...now they go for $100+. Not worth it IMO for a mostly cosmetic piece.

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
You should have looked into a Steeda Cobra R style front end. They designed it to have the openings like the '03 and '04 Cobra, only larger openings to cool the H/E and radiator.

http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_cobra_front_splitter_03-04.php

I've looked at this many times and I'm still considering it. however, the way the car sits lowered with the coilovers the splitter will almost drag on the ground and I won't be able to get up my own driveway. wish Steeda would make a removable one like the real cobra r piece

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I'll be going with the Maier Racing front spoiler and building my own splitter/full front undertray. Simple and cheap to replace "when" not "if" I go farming. Easily replaced at the track in a few minutes and I wont be out $300+ for the steeda peice or $1k plus for a carbon fiber splitter. Works for me. Looks good too.

Affordable easily replaced front splitter. Maier racing= problem solved.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I spoke with Mike Maier on the phone a few days ago. He said that the part they build is like the Mach1 peice only larger. The splitter that they have extends back about 2' underneath the front bumper to the radiator core support. I plan to go under with the splitter atleast 3.5'-4'.

GTSSTANG

Established Member
The Steeda Splitter is just the splitter not the whole bumper. It should work awesome and with slight modification you could mount it up higher..

Give them a call with your concerns, I am sure they will help.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Steeda will also be able to oufit her ride with some cool billet interior accessories too! Billet door locks and buttons, lots of billet buttons.

I like four things from Steeda. Their Tri-ax shifter, clutch quadrant, adj. cable and firewall adjuster. After that, IMO they make cool stuff for the cars sitting in the parking lot at the tracks I race at.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I'll probably never end up with a splitter (or any other aero devices) on my car, since it's a '98, a convertible, and I'd probably have to build it myself. That's 3 strikes against me. I like that Maier piece, but I'd have to conform it to fit around the brake inlets.

That being said, exactly what am I missing by not having a front splitter or air dam.
I don't know much about aerodynamics, but I'm ASSuming the downforce keeps the front planted better. Does it work more at top end (for a more stable feel), or in the turns (to keep the front planted), or both?
Just wondering. :shrug:

Last edited:

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll be going with the Maier Racing front spoiler and building my own splitter/full front undertray. Simple and cheap to replace "when" not "if" I go farming. Easily replaced at the track in a few minutes and I wont be out $300+ for the steeda peice or $1k plus for a carbon fiber splitter. Works for me. Looks good too.

Affordable easily replaced front splitter. Maier racing= problem solved.

glad you posted this, I've been talking to them about the rear wing but at that time they didn't have the splitter for the front end. now with the spoiler and splitter combined and for those prices I'm sold on this! I can remove the splitter for street use and ad it at the track.
too bad I have an 03-04 cobra nose and not a 99-01, time to find someone willing to trade...

Users who are viewing this thread