Front End Alignment

slick4_6

Established Member
I just finished installing Bilstein HD's along with four bolt MM Caster/Camber Plates to compliment my H&R SS, now I am in need of a good four wheel alignment. What are the specs most people are running for a hard driven weekend street car? I'm also running 17x9 03's with 275/40/17 Kuhmo Ecsta MX if that matters.

I asked this in the new edge forums and they told me to post it here that I would probably get better answers from the alignment gurus.

ACMUSTANG

Go fast & turn
Established Member
Front aggressive street settings are usually at 1.5 - 1.75 degress of negative camber, 5 degrees caster left side, 5.25 degress of caster on the right side, toe to factory specs. The more negative camber you run the closer to race settings you get. The .25 difference in caster compensates for the crown that is designed into the roads

Unless you primarily drag race then the settings are a little different

Sean

Last edited:

slick4_6

Established Member
Does 1* camber and 1/8* toe in sound good for the rear?

Probably gonna tell him to set the front at -1.5* camber, 1/16* toe in, and 4.5* positive caster. The rear at -1* camber and 1/8* toe in.

I've read that if you go over about 4.5* caster you can run into bump steer issues.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Unless you're doing some track stuff, stick with the factory settings. You can cheat a little bit and add some negative camber but the more you add the more funky your tire wear will become! :read:

YMMV

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

TTA89

Established Member
This is what I run on the street.

Front
-1.5 Camber
+4.6 Caster
-0.07 Toe

Rear
-1.1 Camber
+0.08 Toe

-1.5 is all I can get on the passenger side, the drivers side will go -2.2 and I kick it in for track days. I'd run more if I could get it... :(

Cobrasized

Proud MCT Member
Established Member
Please forgive the newbie question, but how can you run both negative camber and negative toe without destroying your front tires. I understand that to be a "scrub" situation, which suggests you'd lose the inside edge of your front tires in a heart beat.?? Assuming negative toe is inward, positive toe as outward for tire leading edge.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Cobrasized said:
Please forgive the newbie question, but how can you run both negative camber and negative toe without destroying your front tires. I understand that to be a "scrub" situation, which suggests you'd lose the inside edge of your front tires in a heart beat.?? Assuming negative toe is inward, positive toe as outward for tire leading edge.

Gary:

When driving on the street, you might see .1g to .3g in most normal turns. That is why street alignment specs are so conservative!

When on the track, particularly using "R" compound tires, you might see 1.0g to 1.3g in turns (with stock suspension). At these g forces, your tires are rolling a lot more than street driving and more aggressive alignment specs are required.

People run some front toe out to optimize turn in at the track. Of course this comes at a price. (accelerated tire wear)

How fast do you want to go? It's directly dependent on how much equipment you want to use up and how fast?!?!

YMMV

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Why start another thread?

Did an alignment today, I didn't touch camber and caster from what I put it at the last time I did an alignment. The car ('03 Cobra) is a daily driver and sees one or two OT days a year on street tires.

Caster LF: 3.9 RF: 3.6
Camber LF: -.9 RF: -1.2
Toe LF: .10 RF: .10

Camber LR: -.7 RR: -.7
Toe LR: .10 RR: .10

The front caster and camber balance out because the car goes straight, no drifting.

9746C

Users who are viewing this thread