Front End Protection?

What type of hood protection do you have?

• Nothing, bring it on!

Votes: 54 56.8%
  • Clear Bra Solution

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Traditional Bra Solution

Votes: 16 16.8%

• Total voters

2K4 SVT

Established Member
Howdy!

What is everyone's experience with the clearbra products from 3M etc. Are they worth it or should I just leave my cobra unwrapped? I just got the cobra back from having the hood painted and was wondering if it was worth doing now that I have a chip free hood again or just take my chances with rock chips like before? Please let me know of your experience with this product.

03DOHC

Established Member
I would do both the clear bra and use a regular bra. I haven't installed my clear bra yet but I try to use my colgan bra often. One of these days I'll pull it out of the closet and install the clear bra on my car.

Romans8:28

Established Member
I have both too (well sort of)........

I have a traditional Colgan bra and a "hood only" 3M film. The Colgan REALLY does protect almost the entire front of the car, and it does it very well. Nice thick leather with thick underpad takes abuse with ease.

During the winter months (when the damn bugs are dead/gone) I will run without the Colgan and the 3M seems to work well against the little stuff. It is a good product also and if it was not so expensive to have done, I would wrap the entire front end.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
2K4 SVT said:
Howdy!

What is everyone's experience with the clearbra products from 3M etc. Are they worth it or should I just leave my cobra unwrapped? I just got the cobra back from having the hood painted and was wondering if it was worth doing now that I have a chip free hood again or just take my chances with rock chips like before? Please let me know of your experience with this product.

This stuff is better...I have it on my headlights and fogs.

www.x-pel.com

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
I've got the clear bra on mine. Works quite well... but getting the bugs off of it can be a major PITA.

SVTCOBRAKID

Established Member
"I've got the clear bra on mine. Works quite well... but getting the bugs off of it can be a major PITA"

exactly, i have a clear bra and it works great, except for bug stains, little tricky to get off, but let me put it this way i intitally drove my cobra from denver colorado and had only one tiny rock chip, maybe i got lucky but it works great. hope that helps

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
I think the clear bra is a waste. I detailed a car that had one and it was a pain. The clay from the claybar gets stuck at the edges where the bra meets ends as does wax and polish. Wax and polish are also diffucult to remove from the clear bra. For the price I would rather just repaint the bumper every couple years.

jpk

Established Member
Oh Three Cobra said:
For the price I would rather just repaint the bumper every couple years.

Pretty expensive logic, especially for Mystichrome paint! I have the 3M Scotchcal on a large portion of my car. I have the entire front fascia, front of hood, all side rockers, door jambs, door edges, sideview mirrors, and behind all four wheels covered in it.

Mud at the rear quarter panel and rear bumper wipes off with ease. I don't have to worry about driving on the freeway during the summer and hitting bugs. I don't care if my passenger gets in and out with heels on.

Yes, it was pricey. But way cheaper than repainting my front bumper! I don't have any scratches or rock chips to distract from a clean looking ride and I can't recall how many times I've nicked a door edge or scraped the front fascia and sighed in relief when zero damage was done.

Yes, clay bar and wax will get stuck in the edges of the Scotchcal. I avoid claying near it and use a good quality wax like Clear Kote that doesn't leave any white residue. The white residue is from cheap waxes that will also leave residue around your Cobra emblems.

If you have Mystic paint, you need this all over your car to keep the paint pristine. I wish sometimes I did the entire hood! Yeah, you can see it on the car from certain angles in the light, especially if you have wax buildup around the edges. But most of the time it just disappears and you can't even tell it's there. :coolman:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Bras are for the ladies.... No wait. Bra-less is better, ladies included...

I'll wait until my fascia and hood looks like it's been sandblasted and then repaint. I have no confidence that the clear bra won't yellow or fade or crack over time. Regular bras can also leave marks or discolored paint, especially if they get wet underneath. Even if they don't, the UV protection they give will eventually make the covered portion of the car look newer than the rest.

ExplorerThis

Valve Drop
Established Member
Well if you never take the bra off and never wash your car I can see your point. I had one on my black GT and it never discolored or faded the paint, but I am also very anal about keeping my car mint.

Where is a good place to buy a leather bra for a 03/04 cobra?

Orange Poison

Established Member
My feeling on the whole thing is...if you have a garage queen that you don't drive often, then I'd do a Colgan bra which I do.

If you have a daily driver, whereas putting bra on and off all the time would be a PITA....I 'd do the 3M clear bra.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Get the 3M! Do yourself a favorite and waste NO time! My hood looks like pure "d" shyt with all the rock chips on it... :bash:

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
I've ran the Colgan Carbon Fiber Bra on both my Cobras. I drive about 1000 miles per month on I-40 and I-15 going to and from Lake Havasu City, AZ and San Diego, CA so I need the protection from all the crap flying off the Semi's.

I even had a Factory License Plate Bracket attached to my first Colgan Bra when I lived in CA and had to have a Front License Plate. Solved the Front Plate requirement without having to drill holes in my bumper.

I've still got it, slightly used, but in pretty good shape if anyone wants to buy it.

The License Plate lookes like this when it's attached in case ayone cares.

BraPlateBracket1.jpg

BraPlateBracket2.jpg

BraPlateBracket3.jpg

BraPlateBracket4.jpg

Last edited:

dezracer

Miy car is garage queen, but when I drive ,I drive it. I decided this: The bumper is painted with a flexible paint that takes the abuse better so I left it braless. The front of the hood is diffrent story (also seems like a magnet to rocks) so I bought just the Colgan "sport bra" for when I know im going on long trip. I have been lucky I guess.No nicks or chips. Also we dont have to worry about many bugs in Nevada.

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
My '04 had the "clear bra" when I bought it in May. It was on the hood, side mirrors, and under each door handle. I yanked all of it off after a couple of weeks of looking at it. I think it's like keeping the cover on that comes with some sofas or lamp shades.

Kysnake03

Established Member
ExplorerThis said:
Where is a good place to buy a leather bra for a 03/04 cobra?

I bought mine at Ford, I think it was @ $114.00 . It has a Cobra logo on the Dr side top piece. Good protection.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
dezzracer said:
Miy car is garage queen, but when I drive ,I drive it. I decided this: The bumper is painted with a flexible paint that takes the abuse better so I left it braless. The front of the hood is diffrent story (also seems like a magnet to rocks) so I bought just the Colgan "sport bra" for when I know im going on long trip. I have been lucky I guess.No nicks or chips. Also we dont have to worry about many bugs in Nevada.

What's the Colgan "sport bra"? Is it the traditional bra? Or is it only for the front portion of the hood?
Any pics?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread