Front end shimmy after alcoa install

Stangdriver13

Established Member
Tonight was the first night I got to take out my Shelby for an extended drive with my newly mounted Alcoas. I noticed a pretty bad shimmy in the steering wheel from 45 to 65 MPH. My thought is bad balancing because it goes away after 65 and I don't feel it at all below 45. I don't feel it all the time but I'd say about half of the time tonight that I was between 50 to 55 (which is where it is the worst) I felt it. It is clearly noticeable, if I let go of the steering wheel it will vibrate back and forth so much that anyone sitting in the car can see it moving. So to me that is a balancing problem because I didn't notice that on my stock rims and tires but just wanted to see if anyone else has run into this problem before? Anything else it could be?

I should clarify that it feels like the from wheels are oscillating back and forth from left to right not a typical out of balance there it is a radial up and down out of balance. I think too much wheel weight towards the front face or back lip of the rim would cause that?

IA Shelby

Established Member
Does your tire shop have a Hunter road force balancing machine? If not,....Take it to a shop that has a Hunter Roadforce balancing machine. Their website lists places that have it installed. I am guessing this will fix the problem.

Van@RevanRacing

Might be that a TPMS sensor or band busted loose. That will immediately cause a tire to go out of balance. Easy test is remove the wheels and roll them around and listen for something moving around inside the wheel.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Did they remove the brake rotor clips?

This sounds just like the symptoms from not doing it.

Each rotor front and rear will have a press washer on one stud that holds the rotor from falling off.

black2007shelby

pure venom
Established Member
mine steeda wheels and tires shake really bad after i got it from steeda autosport. I went to Discount Tire store and rebalance the tires, shake are gone. Some places did really bad job balancing tire. Try Discount Tire . They are really good.

Stangdriver13

Established Member
Zporta - I'm pretty sure that fixed the problem! Didn't think of that at first but it makes sense. Only got to go on a short drive but it was definitely better. Thanks!

Did they remove the brake rotor clips?

This sounds just like the symptoms from not doing it.

Each rotor front and rear will have a press washer on one stud that holds the rotor from falling off.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
If they were still there that was the problem. Factory wheels are bored out for that washer. Aftermarket wheels aren't

Users who are viewing this thread