Front License Plate?

Do you have a Front License Plate?

• Yes, it is req'd in my state and I obey every law.

Votes: 120 13.2%
  • Yes, I like to deface automotive art even though its not req'd in my state.

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • No, its not req'd in my state.

Votes: 165 18.2%
  • ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!... Although it is req'd in my state, I'll take the risk.

Votes: 615 67.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcflysvt04

Established Member
Bought car in PA where no plate is required. Live in NY where it is. Pulled over twice with one ticket but not a moving violation. I have the bracket but its not going on. Car looks like crap with it on

CobraTom

Banned
is there any way to fake putting it on? Perhaps cut the head of some screws off and glue it to the plate and then have it taped onto the car just so they can inspect it. I'd really hate to have to put it on. :mj:

99cobra66

Established Member
CobraTom said:
is there any way to fake putting it on? Perhaps cut the head of some screws off and glue it to the plate and then have it taped onto the car just so they can inspect it. I'd really hate to have to put it on. :mj:

i just had my plate ticket signed off and here is what i did.

I put down a good layer of that blue painters tape, a square almost the size of the plate itself. Then I took 3M industrial super strength double stick tape and put that on the back of the license plate. THen I stuck that to the painters tape on my bumper...

I was gonna do the cut screws to make it look like it was bolted on but then i remembered that the law only says the plate must be SECURELY FASTENDED to the front. It says nothing about drilling holes.

and this tape stuff holds as good as four whimpy screws.

The best part is the officer didnt even look twice at it and I can remove it very easily if I want to. Since the painters tape is on there, there will be no sticky cr@p to remove.

JaKe_ThA_sNaKe

Established Member
RDJ is correct to a point. But, if you read further down in the Texas statures, it states:

§ 502.409. WRONG, FICTITIOUS, ALTERED, OR OBSCURED
LICENSE PLATE.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person
attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a number plate or
registration insignia that:
(1) is assigned to a different motor vehicle;
(2) is assigned to the vehicle under any other motor
vehicle law other than by the department;
(3) is assigned for a registration period other than
the registration period in effect;
(4) is fictitious;
(5) has letters, numbers, or other identification
marks that because of blurring or reflective matter are not plainly
visible at all times during daylight;

(6) has an attached illuminated device or sticker,
decal, emblem, or other insignia that is not authorized by law and
that interferes with the readability of the letters or numbers on
the plate or the name of the state in which the vehicle is
registered; or
(7) has a coating, covering, or protective material
that:
(A) distorts angular visibility or
detectability; or
(B) alters or obscures the letters or numbers on
the plate, the color of the plate, or another original design
feature of the plate.
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (f), an offense under
Subsection (a) is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more
than $200, unless it is shown at the trial of the offense that the
owner knowingly altered or made illegible the letters, numbers, and
other identification marks, in which case the offense is a Class B
misdemeanor.
(c) to (e) Repealed by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, §
30.66, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.
(f) An offense under Subsection (a)(4) is a Class B
misdemeanor.

I was in Lubbock TX two weeks ago and got pulled over for no front license plate. After the female DPS trooper approached the window I told her, and she said "oh". SHe said she didn't see it because of the glare from the sun. Needless to say I got a warning, and a lecture to mount it up front and save myself the heartache. Each officer is going to have their own opinion. This is what we could call Officer discrection on the citing of the plate

04SCRMINYLWVERT

Established Member
Hey I saw a guy today that mounted his plate on the inside of the bumper infront of the H/E at the bottom, looks nice you won't notice it unless your really looking at the car, But Won't that mess up the cooling of the H/E since it's blocking alot of the air flow?

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
Im diggin that painters tape/3m nucleaur "sticky as gramps azz crack" tape behind the plate! Well see if Broomhilda down @ the local DMV office will be cool with it. :rollseyes

Crossing fingers, ill keep you guys posted.

I have the front plate and all the attaching HARDWARE (shrug) to it in the TRUNK!
where it should go in the first place!

Damn it. California....... :cuss:

Anyone had issues with tinting the 2 front windows? I think its illegal here in CA. also! Pure 100% unfiltered :bs:

Cottonmouth

Established Member
Ticketed while parked? That sucks!!

I don't understand the reasoning or how "they" can pinch you while the car is parked? If you are driving on the road then I can understand but if you are parked, not traveling down the street, then you are not operating the vehicle at that point in time. Mean farking bastages!

Mayhem

Established Member
I had the front license plate bracket installed because I didn't want to give the police a reason to pull me over and give me a ticket. I guess the jokes on me, I moved from Oregon to Arizona where they won't even give you a second plate for the front unless they are custom. Damn the luck!

99cobra66

Established Member
1SLYSNAKE said:
Im diggin that painters tape/3m nucleaur "sticky as gramps azz crack" tape behind the plate! Well see if Broomhilda down @ the local DMV office will be cool with it. :rollseyes

Crossing fingers, ill keep you guys posted.

I have the front plate and all the attaching HARDWARE (shrug) to it in the TRUNK!
where it should go in the first place!

Damn it. California....... :cuss:

Anyone had issues with tinting the 2 front windows? I think its illegal here in CA. also! Pure 100% unfiltered :bs:

I got busted for lightly tinted front windows and no front plate...
:cuss:

they painters tape worked for me, but i had to take the tint off.

if you are worried about them not liking the tape idea, shave the license plate bolts and glue the top part to the license plate... now it will feel like it is bolted as well as look like it.

Disturbance

B.N.4279 ~ B.D.12/11/02
Established Member
Most people that don't have it mounted on the bumper usually just have it on the front dash on the right side. In California that is

shocker 420

Established Member
I don't have a front license plate because... 1)it's not required(I think) 2) can't think of anything good to put on it, and too lazy to look for one.3) plus I personally think that cops would remember you better if you did have one.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
99cobra66 said:
i just had my plate ticket signed off and here is what i did.

I put down a good layer of that blue painters tape, a square almost the size of the plate itself. Then I took 3M industrial super strength double stick tape and put that on the back of the license plate. THen I stuck that to the painters tape on my bumper...

I was gonna do the cut screws to make it look like it was bolted on but then i remembered that the law only says the plate must be SECURELY FASTENDED to the front. It says nothing about drilling holes.

and this tape stuff holds as good as four whimpy screws.

The best part is the officer didnt even look twice at it and I can remove it very easily if I want to. Since the painters tape is on there, there will be no sticky cr@p to remove.

You gots any pics of this set up?

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
I was thinking, if you really wanted to get away with having one and not having one... I think you could take some serious magnets, small thin ones, double side tape them to the plate, then on the inside of the bumper cover put the opposite magnet behind there... It would work if the magnet was strong enough and to keep it from rubbing the paint, just slide some felt in between... I haven't tried this, but I'm brainstorming. This is likely to not hold up at 160mph like some of you do, but if you're going that fast, you're balls to the wall, and probably don't give a shit about the front license plate law...

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Grif054 said:
I am just waiting to get pulled over for that. I live in IL. and it is a law here. However, I yet to see a Corvette with a front plate on it and I have never heard of a vette owner getting a ticket for it. Hopefully they are not a exception to the police because of what kind of car it is. I know pleanty of people who have gotten tickets for not having one.

I don't think officers here honestly care. I haven't had a front plate for ever.

However, I did get pulled over by a trooper not too long ago. But I know that was because it was 1am, I'm young (19) and it was a prom night at one of the highschools and he was looking for drunks. He told me why he pulled me over and never said anything about it after that, not once. Bullshitted with me about the car for a while. Just gave me a warning and let me be on my way.

What did I do the following Monday? Took the car to the body shop and had the holes filled in the front bumper where there used to be a license plate bracket that I took off.... lol

03cbra

Mega Lurker
Established Member
I used the heavy duty velcro made by 3M. Of course I have Invicishield on my front bumper. I am thinking about removing it though.

Jeff :rockon:

jpk

Established Member
jordanvraptor said:
Just bought an 03 Cobra coupe and got the mount put on. I used to be a cop ten years ago and no front plate is one of the main reasons we were taught to use as justification for pulling someone over to look for other stuff like DUI, no insurance, drugs, etc. So, unfortunately, I had to mount the plate. I may paint the factory mount silver to match the car. I'll experiment with some photoshopped pics first though. Also, in my area a lot of the local cops are taking heat for "racial profiling", and I'm half japanese, but both I and my last name look hispanic. So to cover their butts, if they pull someone over, they write the ticket for what they pulled you over for even though you aren't doing anything else wrong. It sucks but it is reality here. Plus looking a little off white as I do and driving a Cobra, cops may feel a bit inclined to pull me over anyway. It happens, I was a cop and I did it myself. Trust me I'm not some bleeding heart liberal on an anti-cop crusade. It sucks but reality usually does......

Yeah, no crap. Thanks for being honest, it's the first time a cop has told the truth that we all know.

I used to get pulled over all the damn time in my previous Cobra. I refused to put the front license plate on because I had a nice Saleen front fascia installed and I wasn't about to ruin it. I just paid my tickets and went on my merry way. I always figured that the missing plate was less of an issue than my skin color. It was insanse how often I got stopped. :mj:

Now I got a new Cobra and unfortunately it came off the lot with the front license plate bracket installed. I STILL get pulled over all the time. Now I know that skin color comes into play even more than the license plate bracket. :cuss: At least with the front plate installed they have one less excuse for pulling me over. However, I could get rid of the holes, I would get rid of that bracket in a second and deal with more tickets.

My brother-in-law is as white as they come and drives a Porsche. He drives crazier and faster than I do, and he rarely gets stopped. When he does, no ticket. :rolleyes: I've stopped caring because that's just how the world works. I guess I wouldn't want them to not stop a bunch of dudes with beards and "I Love Osama" T-shirts from getting on a plane, so I can't be bothered that much by racial profiling.

XLER84.6

Established Member
After getting three tickets for no front plate (it's the law where I live) I had no other choice but to put it on. The thing is I refused to drill holes in my bumper to mount that ridiculous mounting bracket. It came from the dealer without any holes and that’s the way it’s going to stay. Fortunately for me I found this bracket (from a local supplier) made out of aluminum that mounts to existing hardware on the car and holds the plate. No drilling of holes, no tape, no nothing, but loosen a couple of bolts and then tighten them back up. I think it looks a little better then the factory, but still not as clean as no plate.. I feel the re-sale value of the car is a little higher with no holes in the bumper. I was going to put in the front window but the summons that they issue for no front plate is actually for "Unclear Plates" so that can be interpreted a few different ways. This way the plate is mounted in front of the car, as they like. No more tickets for me. It sure would be nice if the car came with this bracket from the factory.

Dman03

For those of you in Texas.....New laws coming. Don't drill holes

ARTICLE 9. REDUCTION IN NUMBER OF LICENSE PLATES ISSUED
SECTION 9.01. Subchapter A, Chapter 502, Transportation
Code, is amended by adding Section 502.010 to read as follows:
Sec. 502.010. ISSUANCE AND DISPLAY OF LICENSE PLATE. (a)
Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, including
Section 502.180, the department shall issue only one license plate
for attachment at the rear of the vehicle for which the plate is
issued.
(b) Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary,
including Section 502.404(a), a person is entitled to operate on a
public highway a vehicle that displays only one license plate if the
plate is attached at the rear of the vehicle. A person may operate
on a public highway a vehicle that displays two license plates if
both plates were assigned by the department for the registration
period as a set of plates.
(c) In any provision of this code that relates to the
issuance or display of "license plates," "plates," or a "set of
plates," the term means only one license plate.
SECTION 9.02. The change in law made by this article
regarding the issuance of license plates by the Texas Department of
Transportation applies only to the issuance of license plates by
the department for a registration period beginning on or after the
effective date of this article. For a registration period that
begins before the effective date of this article, the department
shall issue license plates as required by the law in effect
immediately before the effective date of this article, and the
former law is continued in effect for that purpose.
SECTION 9.03. This article takes effect September 1, 2005.

bmxer53087

Who Knows...?
Established Member
If it doesnt come with a place for the plate, it's not getting a plate. They designed it that way for a reason!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread