Front Splitter on 2000 Cobra R

JoeJ

Established Member
Hey Guys,

Well, l went and did it. I am having a mold made for my front splitter here in Houston. I am tired of buying the piece of crap that Ford offers, having to re-enforce it, and still have it tear while open tracking.

In January, the mold will be made and I will be able to either make one in Carbon Fiber or fiber glass. Either one will be lighter and stronger than what I have been using. I will have to wait to see what the final price for each will be. The big cost is making the mold. Once it it built it will not be too costly for the fiber glass and still reasonable for the carbon fiber one.

I am hopefull that Andy will go in with me on the manufacture of the splitter and then I will see who else will be in the market for one. I think 99 thru 02 Mustangs should be able to use it with no problem and the 03 with very little modification. Now if I don't get in trouble with SVT on the design, we can all use an upgraded splitter if desired.

I will keep everyone posted on the progress of this little project.

kevin

Originally posted by JoeJ
Hey Guys,

Well, l went and did it. I am having a mold made for my front splitter here in Houston. I am tired of buying the piece of crap that Ford offers, having to re-enforce it, and still have it tear while open tracking.

In January, the mold will be made and I will be able to either make one in Carbon Fiber or fiber glass. Either one will be lighter and stronger than what I have been using. I will have to wait to see what the final price for each will be. The big cost is making the mold. Once it it built it will not be too costly for the fiber glass and still reasonable for the carbon fiber one.

I am hopefull that Andy will go in with me on the manufacture of the splitter and then I will see who else will be in the market for one. I think 99 thru 02 Mustangs should be able to use it with no problem and the 03 with very little modification. Now if I don't get in trouble with SVT on the design, we can all use an upgraded splitter if desired.

I will keep everyone posted on the progress of this little project.

let me know. mine tore at mam and i'll be damned if i'm gonna reapair it for the third time. with all the phone calls and letter i've sent to ford's race parts groups and tessting their so-called origianl *btw, the original manufacurer claimed to ford their repalcements were the same as the origianl -bull shit).

i'm ready for something els. let me know joe.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
:thumbsup: I'm very very intrested ! I hate to say it but I have been looking at the Z06 spoiler to see if it will work on the 03 :rollseyes

David

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
What about the one Steeda is selling now.
cobraRsplitter.jpg

The say:
"Steeda's Cobra "R" Type Front Splitter for your 1999 or 2001 Cobra! Add the great looks and aerodynamics of a 2000 Cobra "R" Splitter to you Cobra. This functional aerodynamic splitter cleans up under car turbulence and increases down force giving you more stability at high speeds. Our splitter is a durable Aero-Flex® composite that mounts permanently to your car and will really take a beating. "

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
What about the one Steeda is selling now.
cobraRsplitter.jpg

The say:
"Steeda's Cobra "R" Type Front Splitter for your 1999 or 2001 Cobra! Add the great looks and aerodynamics of a 2000 Cobra "R" Splitter to you Cobra. This functional aerodynamic splitter cleans up under car turbulence and increases down force giving you more stability at high speeds. Our splitter is a durable Aero-Flex® composite that mounts permanently to your car and will really take a beating. "
The problem with the one from Steeda is you cannot remove it from the car.. it is permanently attached. This is not good for those of us who track our cars. I cannot get my car up my trailer ramp with the splitter on the car.

I think I am gonna go in with Joe and help pay for the mold, then get me one carbon fiber one (just for show) and one made of fiberglass for track use. I intend on getting both of them painted to match the car, and also put replacable skid plates under each of them. So that when the skid plate gets too worn, you just replace it, and it does not scar up the splitter.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hey Joe:

I'm also interested in a c/f splitter. I'll chip in with tooling charges to help ease the pain a little. Let us know when you have some numbers.

I'm trying to also find a c/f hood but I'm not having a lot of luck! :bash: If I can unload that heavy honking reinforced splitter of mine and that hood, I can see a substantial weight savings on the front end and maybe I'd pick up enough speed to start talking smack with Fred regarding that yaller thang!!;-) :p

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Cobra-R

Established Member
I'll whip my hat into the ring also, no need for you to bite this all off alone, Joe and Andy. :) Lets work something out together so it's fair to all.

Brian

kevin

Originally posted by Cobra-R
I'll whip my hat into the ring also, no need for you to bite this all off alone, Joe and Andy. :) Lets work something out together so it's fair to all.

Brian
'

you gonna put one on the z????:lol: :lol: :lol:

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Originally posted by ac427cobra
If I can unload that heavy honking reinforced splitter of mine and that hood, I can see a substantial weight savings on the front end and maybe I'd pick up enough speed to start talking smack with Fred regarding that yaller thang!!;-) :p
Before spending $$$ on all this "high tech splitter stuff", I have a simple suggestion. Why doesn't someone (Bruce, you would be perfect for this) do some timed laps with and without the splitter on? I've mentioned to SVT and many of you that I do not feel running without it has significantly impacted my handling or times. It's an easy experiment to do and it may help answer the question as to the real value of the splitter.

Just my 2 pennies worth on the subject ...which by the way is what I think the value of the stock splitter is!:bash:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Flying Fred
Before spending $$$ on all this "high tech splitter stuff", I have a simple suggestion. Why doesn't someone (Bruce, you would be perfect for this) do some timed laps with and without the splitter on? I've mentioned to SVT and many of you that I do not feel running without it has significantly impacted my handling or times. It's an easy experiment to do and it may help answer the question as to the real value of the splitter.

Just my 2 pennies worth on the subject ...which by the way is what I think the value of the stock splitter is!:bash:

Fred:

I'm not completely convinced that the splitter helps that much with the exception of possibly a little high speed stability. Having said that, IMHO the esthetics of the splitter is really what makes the '00 "R" such an awesome looking car.

Even though I am not the most consistent driver, I would be happy to partake in the experiment providing nobody laughs at the lap times!!:lol:

If we could get a reasonably priced c/f splitter I would be willing to spend the money on it. I would maybe like to see some additional clearance because there is a slight chance I may be making "Gwen" a low rider! ;-) No hydraulics though!:nono:

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Even though I am not the most consistent driver, I would be happy to partake in the experiment providing nobody laughs at the lap times!!:lol:
Gee, with all the mods you guys are doing to your Rs, I'm expecting sub 2:30 running laps at RA next year!:thumbsup: We should take a few times just out of curiousity at the F-body event. If it proves that the splitter makes a significant difference, I may "reconsider" and join the party. Until then, I'll save my $$$ for other things. By the way Bruce, do you have an in car lap timer?

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
you gonna put one on the z????:lol: :lol: :lol:

this one should work....its the right color!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :bash: :bash: :bash: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

22.gif

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Flying Fred
Gee, with all the mods you guys are doing to your Rs, I'm expecting sub 2:30 running laps at RA next year!:thumbsup: We should take a few times just out of curiousity at the F-body event. If it proves that the splitter makes a significant difference, I may "reconsider" and join the party. Until then, I'll save my $$$ for other things. By the way Bruce, do you have an in car lap timer?

Fred:

I'll be doing cart wheels when I break 2:35. :D

I do not have an in car lap timer unless you want to count my Timex Ironman watch I have velcroed to my steering wheel? :p It seems lately I have been having too much fun chasing and being chased to bother with taking lap times? :-D

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by NJ2000R
this one should work....its the right color!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :bash: :bash: :bash: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Talk about DOWNFORCE!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Haha, you guys are mean. ;) (wonder if I could mount that on the vette?) ;)

I have tried running my spitter twice. Once with only basic bracing at RA where the vibration was still a problem so I removed it. The next time was May of last Year at MAM, I ran it both ways and really couldn't tell a difference although I didn't have a timer to compare with.

One thought I have had with the splitter is: One of the main problems with the mustangs is understeer due in large part by the heavy front end. Wouldn't adding more weight to the front end via downforce of the splitter exagerate that charactoristic?

I had the problem of understeer (relating to Mustangs weight balance) explained to me one time that the heavier the front of the car, the more it wants to continue going the direction it is moving(forward), which in turn is harder to get to make a direction change (ie: a turn). So basically, trying to get the heavy front end swinging in a different direction than where it wants to go, is the underlining problem.

Maybe downforce is different than phsical weight in cars, I don't know, but I have wondered about this. I realize as the car slows down the downforce decreases, but I would assume that even in medium speed corners there is some downforce?

I would welcome explainations from those more in the know with how this stuff works.

Brian

inVision

Established Member
Hey guys, I would be willing to get a c/f splitter too, and help a bit with tooling/mold costs if necessary. On the same note, I'm going to get a quote this week from my fabricator on c/f hoods, I'll keep y'all up to date if you're interested.

Well I'm definitely not more in the know, but I think if you could lighten up the front end thereby getting better weight distribution, the use of a light weight splitter in the front would have more pros then cons. Why else would most racecars use them? And, I don't know if this could apply to our cars since they ONLY go up to 170+, but that is some scary isht when you see cars get too much wind underneath them and have lift off, so I would think a front splitter plays an important role in safety too. It's all hypothetical to me anyways, I don't think I would have the balls to even go over 130 my first few times out to the track!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by inVision
I don't think I would have the balls to even go over 130 my first few times out to the track!

Mike:

If you get on the right track, a buck 30 is a piece of cake in that "R". You might even surprise yourself!:rockon:

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Mike:
If you get on the right track, a buck 30 is a piece of cake in that "R". You might even surprise yourself!:rockon:
Actually I talked to a guy named Steve Swanson who is an SVT dealer in SoCal and used to race his R in SCCA events. He said on most of the courses in that area 130 was about all he got on the front straights. They just aren't as long as Road America, Brainerd or some others. In spring of 2001 I bought and reinforced my "second splitter" the way he described. The whole front end still shook from the downforce on the big straights at Road America. I finished my first session (about 10 laps) and sure enough, it cracked. Steve and I figured that perhaps the reason mine broke and his didn't was because I was going 10-15 mph faster than he was, thereby creating greater downforce.

As for hoods, I got a new lightweight one from Steeda ($485) after my oops at VIR. I'm not sure of what the weight savings are, but I can tell you it's MUCH lighter than the stock one was. In fact my 03 hood weighs a ton in comparison! Maybe you can make a CF one for an equivalent or better price, but unless it's a lot lighter or cheaper than Steeda's, I'd wonder if it's worth the hassle.

By the way Mike, I wouldn't ever worry about our cars getting too much air under them and lifting off. They are way too heavy with that honking 5.4L iron block.

Andy M

Established Member
Fred,

HAve you done a front fascia reinforcement?? if not, that is why your front end is still shaking, even when the splitter has been reinforced.

I had my front fascia reinforced at Kenny Bumbera's in Houston, AND had my splitter reinforced at Lucas Automotive in Houston, and am having zero issues now with my splitter/front fascia. I routinely take my car to 160+ on the front straight at TWS in College STation with absolutely no shuddering or vibration any more.

Users who are viewing this thread