front tire rub in top of fender solution?

tim87tr

Maximum Torque Mission
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
I moved your other duplicate thread, do you want this one moved as well?:shrug:

Let us know!
Bruce, I have a good connection but have problems with this boards software. I know there is a lot of traffic, but darn, I post something and it just freezes up. It's either outdated board software or too much traffic /rant.;-)

I am looking for input on my question, but I may have somehow asked to delete both posts. If you want to delete it all, I'll star over :) For now, here is a copy and past from modford. It sounds like I just need stiffer/adjustable front struts, along with installing your IRS kit next week, then a 4 wheel alignment.
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f97/front-tire-rub-top-fender-solution-89262.html#post943086

I have done two open track events and noticed I have tire rub worst at the top center outer portion of my wheel well. There is even rub against the top center of the beveled metal fender on the drivers side, and I turn right mostly on this clockwise track. I did add more than stock negative camber, but not full, at my last outing, but really don't think this is the main problem.

The 03 Cobra has 275/35/18 Kumho Escta MX on Bullitts, H&R sport (black) lowering springs, X2 ball joints, bumpsteer kit, CC plates, and front strut tower brace. Do I need to go to an adjustable front strut to replace the stock ones? I am real happy with the car, this is minor, but I want to address it. Tim

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Tim:

The current server SVTP is running on has some issues and Sid hopes to have it worked out soon.

If you're talking about the top of the wheel well on the driver's front, that's a bad place to rub. There is a wiring harness under there and it will raise havoc if you rub through. You need to put isolators on the spring to raise them up if you don't have them already, OR install some spring rubbers, OR install a stiffer sway bar, OR get some different springs, OR run a smaller tire.

Hope that helps?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

tim87tr

Maximum Torque Mission
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Tim:

The current server SVTP is running on has some issues and Sid hopes to have it worked out soon.

If you're talking about the top of the wheel well on the driver's front, that's a bad place to rub. There is a wiring harness under there and it will raise havoc if you rub through. You need to put isolators on the spring to raise them up if you don't have them already, OR install some spring rubbers, OR install a stiffer sway bar, OR get some different springs, OR run a smaller tire.

Hope that helps?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:
Yes, that helps a lot, and yes, it is rubbing at the top of the wheel well, towards the outside of the tire, and into the top of the beveled metal fender.

Where can you get isolators or the rubber spring pads? My Dad recommended the same thing. I am running a 35 series, the smaller of the 18s, and really want to keep the 275 width up front. I would like to keep my springs because I like the stance, but I am open to a sway bar also.

You don't recommend adjustable struts?

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
tim87tr said:
Yes, that helps a lot, and yes, it is rubbing at the top of the wheel well, towards the outside of the tire, and into the top of the beveled metal fender.

Where can you get isolators or the rubber spring pads? My Dad recommended the same thing. I am running a 35 series, the smaller of the 18s, and really want to keep the 275 width up front. I would like to keep my springs because I like the stance, but I am open to a sway bar also.

You don't recommend adjustable struts?

Yes, I would recommend a coilover adjustable strut because that will give you ultimate control of where the car rides and whether or not it rubs. Along with ride height adjustment you'd also be able to go to a stiffer spring if you'd like. But that is a much more costly solution to what I suggested previously.

The wiring harness is more on the inside top of the tire. If you're rubbing on the outer side of the tire and hitting the fender, you can do a little fender rolling and that will help quite a bit.

How wide are your front tires and are you running any spacers on them.

tim87tr

Maximum Torque Mission
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Yes, I would recommend a coilover adjustable strut because that will give you ultimate control of where the car rides and whether or not it rubs. Along with ride height adjustment you'd also be able to go to a stiffer spring if you'd like. But that is a much more costly solution to what I suggested previously. I'd just like to correct this issue the best way and spend the money now instead of later.

The wiring harness if more on the inside top of the tire. If you're rubbing on the outer side of the tire and hitting the fender, you can do a little fender rolling and that will help quite a bit.

How wide are your front tires and are you running any spacers on them.
275/35/18 Kumho Escta MX on 9" Bullitts, no spacers, 295s on back. I'll eventually want to go with 275 all corners so I can rotate, at least front to back if directional, and lighter wheels. I'd just rather fix the problem and spend the money now, than later.

I was looking on Maximum Motorsports for coilover adjustable struts with springs. What do you recommend, or please email me. It is not a dedicated track car, but not a daily driver at all either, so I'd pick performance over all else. I really like the OT. My second OT video is here:
http://www.vidilife.com/index.cfm?f=media.play&vchrMediaProgramIDCryp=FAB83EE5-0B66-4172-9FF2-1&action=12
It was a C6 Z06, not a C6 trying to catch me:)

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Well, Corvette drivers are a pretty slow lot as we all know! ;-) :poke: :lol:

I would get on the phone with a tech from MM. They will be able to help you more than I can. They know their products better than I do. If you had a 2000 Cobra R I'd be able to help you.

I do like their Koni DA's for the front though. It's a pretty awesome piece!

Good luck!

Bruce

nightstalker865

Established Member
I have rubbed all the way through to the harness on the drivers side. I am going to try and make some sort of shield for the harness. I caught it before it got all the way through the insulation on the wiring but it was close... I have added isolators on the front and raised it up a bit. next will be trying to make some sort shield. Any ideas anyone??

tim87tr

Maximum Torque Mission
Established Member
03SteedaGT said:
I have rubbed all the way through to the harness on the drivers side. I am going to try and make some sort of shield for the harness. I caught it before it got all the way through the insulation on the wiring but it was close... I have added isolators on the front and raised it up a bit. next will be trying to make some sort shield. Any ideas anyone??
What specific area of the fender well did it rub that was critical, and where did you get your isolators? That would be a cheaper option for me now instead of coilovers. I just spent the farm on rotors, street and race brake pads:burnout:

Last edited:

nightstalker865

Established Member
MM has the isolators. Mine is rubbing just to the rear of the center of the splash guard above the tire. If that makes any sence. I will try and get some pics up for you. May be this weekend though. I didn't have this prob on track it's only been in the last couple autox's that I have ran.

tim87tr

Maximum Torque Mission
Established Member
solution

I spoke with MM rep, and he said changing suspension components will not help with the rub. It is a result of wheel offset/backspace and too large of tire size. Other option is to somehow move the areas of rub away from the tire.

Chances are that mine happened at autocross and not the open track. I can pull the driver front wheel where there is more rub, and mark those areas, so see if open track is the culprit.

Last edited:

tim87tr

Maximum Torque Mission
Established Member
tim87tr said:
I spoke with MM rep, and he said changing suspension components will not help with the rub. It is a result of wheel offset/backspace and too large of tire size. Other option is to somehow move the areas of rub away from the tire.

Chances are that mine happened at autocross and not the open track. I can pull the driver front wheel where there is more rub, and mark those areas, so see if open track is the culprit.
I spoke to MM again today (different person) and confirmed that my current 18"x9" wheels have nearly the same 25mm offset as the 17"x9" Konigs they sell. His recommendations were to replace the X2 balljoints and H&R sport springs that came in my car with regular Ford ball joints and H&R race springs, which I was told have more preload in them for the heavier Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread