FRPP ProCal installed: Impressions

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
In addition to my recently installed appearance mods, I also had the ProCal installed yesterday. I know that most will think that this tuner is a waste of money, however there are some owners who do not want to risk any piece of mind pertaining to their warranty. Please do not turn this thread into a discussion about tunes and related Dealer/FMCC/Warranty issues.

**We all know that there are some great tuners out there who have not had any issues with their tunes, and respectively produce greater results. This is not an attempt to claim better results with the ProCal, but simply offer a feedback for those who are pondering the purchase/results of the ProCal Unit.**

I had been craving a little more power and throttle response from my 5.0, and believe the unit has satisfied that. I was skeptical at spending $300+ and another $100 to have the dealer install, but made the purchase. This unit eliminates the "Skip Shift" and seems to have really improved the normal driving characteristics of the car. Low end throttle response is improved and WOT seems much improved. From a 2nd gear punch at 3500-4000rpm's, the car will blaze the tires to redline. From a stop, first gear has become relatively useless on the 245's, second gear fights for traction to redline requiring me to pedal the thottle, and once in third the car continues to pull stongly. Overall I am very happy with this tuner, and it is a nice option for those of us who are relatively happy with the stock platform of the 5.0.

Graph added 6/14/12, as I just obtained the file.

12GTProCalDyno.jpg

s174

trooper speed
Established Member
The only reason I went with a DYNO tune was because FRPP do not offer a tune for their BOSS intake. I called them and asked and was told I'd have to go with another aftermarket company. I have to admit that I was kind of disappointed because I already had the PRO-CAL and wanted the BOSS intake. Turned out it was a blessing, I was referred to Lee Blankenship of Blankenship Tuning and Performance, great guy and a pleasure to deal with and I haven't looked back...

D.T.R

Established Member
In addition to my recently installed appearance mods, I also had the ProCal installed yesterday. I know that most will think that this tuner is a waste of money, however there are some owners who do not want to risk any piece of mind pertaining to their warranty. Please do not turn this thread into a discussion about tunes and related Dealer/FMCC/Warranty issues.

**We all know that there are some great tuners out there who have not had any issues with their tunes, and respectively produce greater results. This is not an attempt to claim better results with the ProCal, but simply offer a feedback for those who are pondering the purchase/results of the ProCal Unit.**

I had been craving a little more power and throttle response from my 5.0, and believe the unit has satisfied that. I was skeptical at spending $300+ and another $100 to have the dealer install, but made the purchase. This unit eliminates the "Skip Shift" and seems to have really improved the normal driving characteristics of the car. Low end throttle response is improved and WOT seems much improved. From a 2nd gear punch at 3500-4000rpm's, the car will blaze the tires to redline. From a stop, first gear has become relatively useless on the 245's, second gear fights for traction to redline requiring me to pedal the thottle, and once in third the car continues to pull stongly. Overall I am very happy with this tuner, and it is a nice option for those of us who are relatively happy with the stock platform of the 5.0.

Nice write up. So you're bone stock and just added a tune?
That sounds like a lot of spinning tho lol... what kind of tires are you running?

Are you planning on dynoing the car anytime soon?

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Nice write up. So you're bone stock and just added a tune?
That sounds like a lot of spinning tho lol... what kind of tires are you running?

Are you planning on dynoing the car anytime soon?

Stock to a degree. GT500 Mufflers and Eibach Springs, this is essentially the first thing to add any power.

The car has 3.73's and running on the factory 19" 245/45's. The spinning did not occur prior in 2nd from a hit at 3-4k, it would just accelarate.

I might try and dyno next week, as well as go back to the track. The car ran just under 110mph (in nice cool weather 2 weeks ago), so I am anxious to see the improvement. My guess is 112mph, and I will be happy.

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I had the same result after installing the FRPP ProCal. 2nd hits much harder now. Even under light throttle it will pull much harder from a crawl where prior it would lug quite a bit. Also have the 245/45/19's and GT500 muffers (which should have come stock from the factory). Don't know what Ford was thinking here.

bucolic

Established Member
Nice review! Similar to what I've been reading. Sounds like area under the curve is improved-especially for daily driving. You're right how peace of mind is important as well!

I'm debating between this and having a local shop dyno-tune my car. I've been told the shop is good, but we'll see...

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I have it as well. Yeah, traction is a thing of the past....and I have 3.31's! LOL.

I have a Brembo car with the Pro-Cal, 3 inch X pipe (after cats), resonators deleted, Roush axle back and LCA relocation brackets. Unless the asphalt is relatively new, the tires are useless well into third gear. Hopefully when it warms up, traction will return somewhat. Of course, power will be diminished in the heat as well as the tires being heated to the proper range.

My biggest complaint is the pinging. It took a little while, but I started to hear it. I would only hear it when accelerating hard in 3rd or 4th gear though. I would not hear any if I ran it through the gears fully starting in first. I enabled the octane adjust setting and that seemed to help. I wonder if that setting pulls timing, however.

It is a good tune with ample torque, and it makes the car much more enjoyable.

Mike

scott_0

Established Member
Redturtle, in your opinion or should I say SOTP meter, does it feel like it makes that large torque bump up off idle that FRPP advertises? that had me nearly going with the FRPP tune but the pinging issue sorta spooked me.......

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Redturtle, in your opinion or should I say STOP meter, does it feel like it makes that large torque bump up off idle that FRPP advertises? that had me nearly going with the FRPP tune but the pinging issue sorta spooked me.......

There is a very obvious bump in low RPM torque. I can tell you one thing, I never spun the tires on a second gear roll before...and can do so effortlessly now. First gear from idle is a smokefest and I have 3.31 gears.

Mike

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Nice thread/RedTurtle!
Glad to hear your happy with it, I will be going this route hopefully by summer!

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Redturtle, in your opinion or should I say STOP meter, does it feel like it makes that large torque bump up off idle that FRPP advertises? that had me nearly going with the FRPP tune but the pinging issue sorta spooked me.......

It made a difference under normal driving from a stop. It is hard to validate the enormous 60ftlbs of torque at 1500rpm as the moment you let out the clutch and give it gas...you are past that rpm. LOL, at 45mph in 5th I am not even that low. I can tell you that the throttle is a lot more snappy, and normal accelaration seems effortless now. That in combination with WOT change and piece of mind is good enough for me to justify the cost.

I believe they claim that this unit has even better results with the Auto, as it makes nice tranny adjustments as well.

Nice thread/RedTurtle!
Glad to hear your happy with it, I will be going this route hopefully by summer!

Thanks. Seems as there were not too many objective reviews, so I thought that I would throw my experience out there.

Last edited:

s174

trooper speed
Established Member
oh yeah, there's was another 5.0 there that day with SCT canned tune, Airade CAI and a axel back that made 386 RWHP, so that told me on the top end there wasn't a whole lot of difference and like people have said you can keep your warranty.

pcarman

Established Member
this Mod is on my list

glad to hear about your positive experience with this. I plan to get this soon.

Thanks.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Pro-cal Tuner, Tune, K/N Filter delivered for under $ 300.00, and you keep the warranty. A very good deal, even if the Dealer charges an hour for Labor to install...

Funny5.0

Established Member
I believe they claim that this unit has even better results with the Auto, as it makes nice tranny adjustments as well.

I wish i could report back with the same great results as you manual guys but I barely noticed a difference in my auto with the FRPP tune compared to stock. I wonder sometimes if anything even loaded?
Shifting still the same and still won't chirp going into second gear.:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread