FRPP ProCal installed: Impressions

corepwn

Established Member
I'm glad you're enjoying it.

From what I understand there are absolutely no changes in the shifting firmness or strategy for the auto trans cars.

I actually bought the procal, then did a lot of extra reading and found almost every single person reporting issues with their engine pinging with the tune, so I never had it installed and paid shipping to return it un used.

Warranty or not, I'm not interested in deliberately messing up my motor. With my luck the pings wouldn't hurt anything until end of warranty period lol.

On a side note, today the pavement was about 45F this morning and from a 30mph roll the car dropped to second and accelerated up until it started spinning at 55-60mph and traction control kicked my ass. Stock tune, auto.. GT500 mufflers, 245/45/19s. Power delivery is so strange in these cars, haha.

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I'm glad you're enjoying it.

From what I understand there are absolutely no changes in the shifting firmness or strategy for the auto trans cars.

I actually bought the procal, then did a lot of extra reading and found almost every single person reporting issues with their engine pinging with the tune, so I never had it installed and paid shipping to return it un used.

Warranty or not, I'm not interested in deliberately messing up my motor. With my luck the pings wouldn't hurt anything until end of warranty period lol.

On a side note, today the pavement was about 45F this morning and from a 30mph roll the car dropped to second and accelerated up until it started spinning at 55-60mph and traction control kicked my ass. Stock tune, auto.. GT500 mufflers, 245/45/19s. Power delivery is so strange in these cars, haha.

Sorry to hear, and this is why I decided to provide my positive feedback. We have 93 here in Florida so hopefully I don't have to deal with any pinging.

Last edited:

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
The tune has been really good for me. I highly recommend it. Zero pinging, just happy daily driving. Car really liked the cold air this morning after she warmed up.

drewzx3

Established Member
Im debating on getting it for my auto. Anyone ever tried to run the airaid cai with insert with it?

Funny5.0

Established Member
No noticable pinging with mine either. Just not sure about the gains.
Anyone else with a Procal and auto?
I'd be interested in hearing other experiences.

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I haven't noticed any pinging but with winter temps here in NJ I doubt it would regardless. Haven't noticed any real change in mileage.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Pro-cal Tuner, Tune, K/N Filter delivered for under $ 300.00, and you keep the warranty.
I have never seen the Pro-cal + K&N filter price that low....where are you finding the best prices on it!?
I haven't noticed any pinging but with winter temps here in NJ I doubt it would regardless. Haven't noticed any real change in mileage.
For those of you running the Pro-Cal and NOT having Pinging issues.....what octane fuel are you using!? I'd like to be able to stick with at least 89, would hate to HAVE to jump to 91/93!

scott_0

Established Member
I have never seen the Pro-cal + K&N filter price that low....where are you finding the best prices on it!?

For those of you running the Pro-Cal and NOT having Pinging issues.....what octane fuel are you using!? I'd like to be able to stick with at least 89, would hate to HAVE to jump to 91/93!
I believe its a minimum 91 octane spec'd tune, can someone chime in?

ViciousJay

Established Member
Red i wouldnt waste my time, if i were you i would talk to a few companies (lethal, bbr, torq, amazon, aed, etc...) Feel them out and get a tune through them, honestly its the best mod

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I always use at least 91 octane, 93 when I can find it locally. The ProCal does require at least 91 octane to retain the FRPP warranty.

D.T.R

Established Member
has anyone done before and after dyno pulls to see the gains?

So this tune retains your factory warranty ? what other mods can you add that will retain the warranty? what about an AFE air filter and or mufflers?

ViciousJay

Established Member
has anyone done before and after dyno pulls to see the gains?

So this tune retains your factory warranty ? what other mods can you add that will retain the warranty? what about an AFE air filter and or mufflers?

i dont believe it really retains factory warranty. People says it does but some dealers will tell you to piss up a rop, others will ok it just like some dealers dont care about mods and others drool over screwing you in the pooper

D.T.R

Established Member
i dont believe it really retains factory warranty. People says it does but some dealers will tell you to piss up a rop, others will ok it just like some dealers dont care about mods and others drool over screwing you in the pooper

So what is it that these people (with this tune) bring their cars to the dealership for? (labor?)

MikeLTDLX

Established Member

Warranty or not, I'm not interested in deliberately messing up my motor. With my luck the pings wouldn't hurt anything until end of warranty period lol..

The pinging I experienced was very subtle and gone very quickly. I am not even sure I heard it, to be honest. However, to be safe, I enabled the octane adjust feature. I always use 93 and I have been sticking to Shell gasoline lately. Apparently, Shell 93 tests out at close to 97. The tune is designed to retain the knock sensors and pull timing at the onset of ping. FRPP has motors with over 200,000 miles still spinning away on this tune. It is not dangerous.

Sorry to hear, and this is why I decided to provide my positive feedback. We have 93 here in Florida so hopefully I don't have to deal with any pinging.

I have 93 here in Louisiana as well. See above.

Im debating on getting it for my auto. Anyone ever tried to run the airaid cai with insert with it?

You probably could. I don't know if there would be any benefit, however.

You must run 91, and I would not run less than 93.

It won't void your warranty if installed by a dealer. If you lose a motor and the Pro-Cal tune is to blame, FRPP's warranty kicks in and covers it...not Ford's. Mufflers and drop in air-cleaners will not void your warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread