FS: 2 Gt's on BON

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I just saw on BON that two dealers are advertising two GT's. It seems they expect 25K over sticker.

Anyone know of a new car that kept it's value? I am not aware of any. IMO, wait a couple of years (or so) and pick one up for a reasonable price (and in GA we don't pay sales tax if purchased from a private party).

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
FASN8N---Thanks. I live in Sandy Springs. A '94 Saleen SR? Only 2 made? You need to put that car on your avatar. There is a guy (S351R13) on the R model threads with a '96 from just south of us.

Paul--I thought about the McLaren but couldn't research resell. Haven't they made them 5 years now? Do you know how many where made? I did see the last one is for sale (Autoweek story) for one million pounds ($1.6M?).

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
i'm sure the enzo ferrari will hold its value.....only 399 made and only 80 brought to the US

Paul Vincent

Established Member
1995COBRA-R, If you re-read that article, I think that you'll see the actual number of F1's was given. I'll double check it myself too. By the way, I know someone who has a good friend who owns at least one F1. Little good it will do me though as the F1 is in the UK.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Originally posted by 03graygt
i'm sure the enzo ferrari will hold its value.....only 399 made and only 80 brought to the US
They are over 2 million dollars now that you can't buy them from ferrari, only 640k or something like that new, but there were some strict guidelines to even be considered for one.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Originally posted by 03graygt

Although I have no idea what they future value of the Enzo will be :??: , I do remember a bubble formed in the late 1980's for all Ferraris. People were buying every Ferrari they could find. The GTO's could be purchased new for $85K. People were speculating on the car, and they went to the $1 million range. Five years later the market crashed and you could get one for $250K. I think they bring $350K now. I also remember the F-40 shot up in value only to fall fast. An acquaintance of mine lost $500,000 when you had to do a quick sell on a F40 due to a divorce.

It seems to me an exotic (or other collector) car is somewhat like any other asset (stocks, bonds, real estate). You make your money when you buy it. If you buy it right, you will be OK when you sell it (and will hopefully make a profit). If you buy it during a bubble frenzy, you are destined to lose money when the bubble pops.:shrug:

Doc

Paul Vincent

Established Member
Feb. 23-04 AutoWeek (page 11), Eleven years since the first F1 was made and five years since creation of the 64th and final road version, McLaren Cars is releasing one last unregistered example of the world's fastest road car and is offering it for sale at a recordbreaking 1,000,000 pounds sterling." It also goes on to state that one - quarter of all F1s are in the United States.

Last edited:

The BigSHO

Established Member
I know this is a SVT board...

1987 buick GNX - new in 87 for $32K. I saw a ~500 mile (new) one that went for $42K a few months ago. Nice cars those GNs...

Paul Vincent

Established Member
The BigSho, There are always a few cars of a given model that will sell for more at auctions, but I don't think that is what 1995COBRA-R was talking about. I believe that he meant, "a car which has kept its value (without falling to a fraction of its sticker price somewhere along the way)". Perhaps even the F1 fails that test, but as there were so few made, it might be the exception.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
collector cars

Someone on the R threads introduced me to the "10 year rule". I hope to quote him correctly. Generally, a new car can go down in value, but it should stabilize in value after a 10 year period and begin to go up in value after 10 years if it is to be know as collectable.

The GN may be a good example. I remember when you could get a very nice one for $15K. Of course, a 500 mile car is unusually rare and will bring the best bids. It was still not a very good investment. $32K purchase, and sold for $42K after 17 years. That is almost a 2% annual return on investment (not counting insurance and storage costs). You could have more than doubled that return in an insured savings account. You can't have much fun driving and playing with a savings account, but that car was not driven and enjoyed much either.:shrug:

If you have several million in the bank, you could care less about current and future values. You could afford a McLaren, an Enzo, and a couple of GT's.:beer:

FASN8N

Established Member
Doc,

I know about the S-351 you mentioned. If it is the same car I am thinking about his name is Scott and he goes by "TheAnimal" his car is a beast! My S351 was the first S351 sold to the public and was used by Saleen to prototype many of the SR parts for the street SR S-351. S-351 = non SCed, S-351R = SCed, S-351 SR = competition model. I don't think I have enough posts to put the picture in my avatar lol ...

http://www.performanceautosport.com/cfs/detail/031010b_cons.html

FreeFlowSVT

Lover Of Burned Rubber
Established Member
Hmmm kinda funny that it's not april yet when the car is suppose to start reaching dealerships and they are selling already?...and they are very very lucky to win one in the lottery for them....The dealership i work for here in Vermont was beyond lucky to win one and as Ford stated it will be coming between April and the end of the year.....We'll also be putting it up for Auction not outright selling it.

Last edited:

Big 8

Established Member
I am not too sure about all the cars mentioned. However the Ford GT as far as exotics go will have what 1500 run per year? Three years worth from what I have read. Thats quite a few cars.

Now factor in many of the other offerings, some are cheaper. Porsche GT3, Viper for the really rich Ferrari Saleen and Carrera GT. Its a big market with great choices. If they do have three runs at 1500 per year I would bet deals will be had. Perhaps even a few at or a little under the 139k MSRP. Time will tell!

Users who are viewing this thread