FTC coming after automobile transactions/servicing

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The current administration is searching for public opinion 'wins' in their quest to maintain house/senate counts and for future elections. They have pushed the FTC to file for additional regulations that will draw out the process of purchasing or servicing a vehicle. The regulations are still be ironed out, and attorneys are still trying to give a black/white guidance rather than gray area, but as it sits now, they are estimating an additional 12-20 consent forms must be signed by the consumer at varying stages in the process. As early as inquiring if a vehicle is available or not. If you switch vehicles, switch payment options, cash down, trade allowance, price of vehicle, etc, a new consent form will need to be signed.

Are there some dealers that need enforced regulations in order to treat their customer's right, of course. Just like there are some businesses in every industry. The vast majority of dealerships, especially franchise stores, are always under such a microscope by their state's AG's office, that this isn't an issue and will only add time, steps and frustration to the buying process.

8 out of 10 car buyers say that it takes too long to purchase a vehicle and complete the transaction, this will increase the time dramatically.

Take a watch:

I, along with a lot of Americans who purchase/service vehicles every year, would appreciate it if you would leave a note on the FTC's website regarding this issue. Doesn't need to be a novel. A simple, "the process is difficult enough as is, more government overreach isn't the answer" etc, would be just fine. The comments are open until September 12th at 7PM CST.

Thanks for checking this out for me.

If you have questions/would like clarification, I would be more than happy to answer in this forum, or on the phone, email, etc.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
More cost, more waste, more government. The Democratic way.

I’m hoisting a giant FU to the Dems!

It's just incredible. It's very much like the argument that they're here to help 'poor people', yet people with low incomes are the most negatively affected by the legislature and regulations.

Morgan

Established Member
It's just incredible. It's very much like the argument that they're here to help 'poor people', yet people with low incomes are the most negatively affected by the legislature and regulations.

100%

These changes will add administrative burden and result in added costs for every transaction. Assholes will still find a way to circumvent. This is just more bureaucratic pissing in the wind.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
100%

These changes will add administrative burden and result in added costs for every transaction. Assholes will still find a way to circumvent. This is just more bureaucratic pissing in the wind.

Part of it, still in the discovery portion by attorneys, will make it very hard for dealerships to discount prices off of their online advertised prices.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
The current administration is searching for public opinion 'wins' in their quest to maintain house/senate counts and for future elections. They have pushed the FTC to file for additional regulations that will draw out the process of purchasing or servicing a vehicle. The regulations are still be ironed out, and attorneys are still trying to give a black/white guidance rather than gray area, but as it sits now, they are estimating an additional 12-20 consent forms must be signed by the consumer at varying stages in the process. As early as inquiring if a vehicle is available or not. If you switch vehicles, switch payment options, cash down, trade allowance, price of vehicle, etc, a new consent form will need to be signed.

Are there some dealers that need enforced regulations in order to treat their customer's right, of course. Just like there are some businesses in every industry. The vast majority of dealerships, especially franchise stores, are always under such a microscope by their state's AG's office, that this isn't an issue and will only add time, steps and frustration to the buying process.

8 out of 10 car buyers say that it takes too long to purchase a vehicle and complete the transaction, this will increase the time dramatically.

Take a watch:

I, along with a lot of Americans who purchase/service vehicles every year, would appreciate it if you would leave a note on the FTC's website regarding this issue. Doesn't need to be a novel. A simple, "the process is difficult enough as is, more government overreach isn't the answer" etc, would be just fine. The comments are open until September 12th at 7PM CST.

Thanks for checking this out for me.

If you have questions/would like clarification, I would be more than happy to answer in this forum, or on the phone, email, etc.

Honestly, anything that takes longer than what it took me to buy my truck from you Nick, is too long and it’ll just piss me off.

Buying a vehicle should be that smooth every single time.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Honestly, anything that takes longer than what it took me to buy my truck from you Nick, is too long and it’ll just piss me off.

Buying a vehicle should be that smooth every single time.

1,000% agree.

You: "Hey Nick, do you guys have a 2022 F-150 in stock that I can buy?"
Me: "Tim, what's the best email/fax that I can send this consent letter to in order to tell you whether or not I have a truck?"

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Form: First and last name required
Instructions: do not submit personally identifiable information through this form

hope they like my fictitious name

helloWorld

Established Member
Currently the only comment on that youtube video is:
lol sorry NADA we need these rules. Consumers have been getting screwed due to the crazy markups and deceptive practices especially these past 2 years. I fully support the FTC Rules and Regulations.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Buying a car just 3 months ago, it seems half the documents I signed were waivers for crap I didn't want. On the plus side, it was all digital signatures.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
BINGO!!!!

Pretty soon they are going to control every aspect of our lives. It's headed in that direction.
**** THEM!!!!

Yep. It's incredible the strides they've made in the last two years to do exactly that.

Users who are viewing this thread