Fuel pump questions

jakesspv6

Established Member
I'm in the process of searching for a fuel pump to support theintercooled vortech s trim for my 96 cobra and I was going to go with the aero motive stealth 340lph pump but am curious as to why some sites are saying it first 86-97 mustangs but not 96-97 Cobras. Anyone know why this is..? This is the last part that I am needing before i begin the install, so any and all help would be appreciated

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Not sure.. I haven't found one for 96-98 Cobras.. This is the type of thing in talking about, look at the bottom description https://lmr.com/item/AMV-11540/must...-shopping-v2&gclid=CP35oPHRtMsCFY-DaQodM9wMOQ

doing some digging it appears the pumps are the same, but have minute differences (walbro even differentiates between 86-97 mustangs vs 96-97 cobras)

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22752

So that would be the issue. GSS317. That's the correct walbro pump for a 96-97 cobra

GRUSE

Established Member
The 98 is sometimes referred to the bastard year fuel system.97 and down were return systems and 99 up were return less,The 98 is a return system that alters voltage to the pump,the 98 pump sits in a basket.The basket has potential to pump all the fuel out faster than it can refill,some drill holes in the basket to increase flow others swap to a 97 down tank and pump.
There are several write ups on the 98 fuel system here and other sites.Sending a pm to Mark Olson mwolson on how to wire up a non plug and play pump would be helpful,he knows more about our cars than the engineers who build them.

Good luck

Zemedici

Established Member
The 98 is sometimes referred to the bastard year fuel system.97 and down were return systems and 99 up were return less,The 98 is a return system that alters voltage to the pump,the 98 pump sits in a basket.The basket has potential to pump all the fuel out faster than it can refill,some drill holes in the basket to increase flow others swap to a 97 down tank and pump.
There are several write ups on the 98 fuel system here and other sites.Sending a pm to Mark Olson mwolson on how to wire up a non plug and play pump would be helpful,he knows more about our cars than the engineers who build them.

Good luck

all that's cool and all but what in dog dick does it have to do with OP's 96 cobra?

He asked about 96-97.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Thanks for the compliment, regardless. :)

FYI, the electronics part of 96-98 Cobra fuel pumps are all identical. All of them vary the voltage via the 2-stage fuel system. It is only the tank and/or basket assembly that is different for the 98. I have never gotten a clear answer on what the differences actually are.

Since the OP is looking for the correct pump for the 96/97 Cobra, it is part number 11142 per the Aeromotive 340 App Guide: https://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Aeromotive340_app_guide.pdf

Last edited:

jakesspv6

Established Member
doing some digging it appears the pumps are the same, but have minute differences (walbro even differentiates between 86-97 mustangs vs 96-97 cobras)

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22752

So that would be the issue. GSS317. That's the correct walbro pump for a 96-97 cobra
absolutely nothing.Whoops I ****ed up sorry OP
It's fine, dont worry about it. Thanks for trying to help though, at least you taught me something new haha

Thanks for the compliment, regardless. :)

FYI, the electronics part of 96-98 Cobra fuel pumps are all identical. All of them vary the voltage via the 2-stage fuel system. It is only the tank and/or basket assembly that is different for the 98. I have never gotten a clear answer on what the differences actually are.

Since the OP is looking for the correct pump for the 96/97 Cobra, it is part number 11142 per the Aeromotive 340 App Guide: https://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Aeromotive340_app_guide.pdf
Thank you for that. I found that pump right before you said something, but I'm glad someone agreed with what I found. One more question though since I was seeing different things from different people. If I am aiming to hit above 500+hp do I need to upgrade the lines already? or will I be fine with my stock lines and fuel rail?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
If I am aiming to hit above 500+hp do I need to upgrade the lines already? or will I be fine with my stock lines and fuel rail?
That's actually a hard question to answer with any real proof. I actually looked into the issue regarding stock fuel rails a few years ago. It turns out that as long as the fuel has laminar flow (no turbulence), everything is fine. But once turbulence starts, the flow doesn't increase as much with increasing pressure, and the fuel really starts heating up. The cross section area of your fuel line is the key parameter. The calculations required to determine at what flow level the flow becomes turbulent are very complex, so I gave up.

But guys have run well over 500 HP with stock fuel lines and rails, so I think you will be fine. That said, larger lines and rails would not hurt. I probably would just run the stock lines and rails.

jakesspv6

Established Member
Thank you guys very much for all the help and info. I think I'm going to leave the stock stuff for now, if I need to upgrade, I will. I plan on upgrading in he future, but if it could hold off now that would be great. Now I'm off to find a nice pulley combo to hit 500+hp on the s trim

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Thank you guys very much for all the help and info. I think I'm going to leave the stock stuff for now, if I need to upgrade, I will. I plan on upgrading in he future, but if it could hold off now that would be great. Now I'm off to find a nice pulley combo to hit 500+hp on the s trim

You will definitely need a larger flowing fuel pump to meet that goal. A stock pump will not support 500 hp let alone 500 rwhp, especially on a force induced engine.

jakesspv6

Established Member
I know that.. The whole point of the thread was to figure out what pump would work for my cobra. I'm talking about leaving the stock lines and fuel rail

SCHOEBEL

Established Member
Just installed a Stealth 340 in my 96 Cobra last week, fit perfect. Brothers Pergormance out of Florida has them. Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread