Full RACE INTER COOLER REVISION Data and images .. Over 300% more flow!!!!!!!

FlaHP

Established Member
After getting the first 3.4 Whipple that was released we have tried ever mod to reduce AIT2 temps with limited success.

Talking with other owners that have seen the same problems many guessed we were limited by out Inter coolers.

About 4 months ago I got the guts to cut one open and see if there were any restrictions.

and this is what we found.

gallery_4_142_13417.jpg

The inter cooler is not only a dual pass ( The fluid goes down one half then make a U and comes back the other half before leaving.)

Its has huge restrictions which cause the water to cycle very slow through the inter cooler.

Its has been reported that it is so restricted some stock system only cycle 1-2 time per quarter mile pass.

All large blowers make a ton of heat and the 3.4 has been test after the blower and before the IC with temps as high as 344F

What hurts us is heat soak and extended time under boost. That's why the temps are not as bad on the dyno or the street and sometimes don't show themselves till the track

To test the restriction

After building a bench set up with the absolute best case anyone will get from a stock IC the numbers are

3 gallons and 3 qts in 60 seconds

The capacity of a factory IC is 1 qt

so...

For every 4 seconds the coolant will cycle once. Remember every 4 seconds best case scenario and very few will ever get close to those numbers.

My estimate is

6 Seconds with a HE and a Mez pump

North of 8 Seconds with a stock system.

The solution

After sacrificing a few lower intakes and inter coolers we came up with a solution to the problem

The system are cut apart and
The restriction in the inter cooler are removed
The system in converted to a single pass to remove the U
The input is increased to a 1" feed
The original feed and outlet are now both used as an outlet that can be Y'ed or run dual return lines

This what the final product looks like with a 1" Heat exchange bi-pass valve

gallery_4_137_28031.jpg

So what did these changes net?

3.75 gallons per minute to 13.5 Gallons Per minute with the same bench setup

gallery_4_137_36284.jpg

These are about the only numbers that can be quantified.

The system has the potential to tune the flow by adding a ball valve to restrict flow when not racing.

I did this in mine by rerouting the flow through the heat exchanger and reducing down to 3/4 inch lines.

The optimal system would use an Ice Box to supply as much ice water through a run.

The use of an after market pump is also advised as well as an after market heat exchange for street use.

FlaHP

Established Member
Looks like a winner, It looks like this will resolves your IA2 temps issues with the 3.4

This will change everything for the track guys. Cramming 300 degrees through the same water has been killing us.

We are so fired up Typhoon took the day off and we are wrenching like nuts trying to get the 2 trucks to the dyno.

DjKush

Established Member
If the results are good... U think I can ship my ic to ya for this mod? Or maybee make a write up with great detail to do this?.. Just a thought

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Very interesting. I'm lucky that I don't have to worry about the stock intercooler anymore. An aftermarket pump will be a must to utilize that set up. I think the stock pump is only rated at 7-7.5 gpm.

FlaHP

Established Member
If the results are good... U think I can ship my ic to ya for this mod? Or maybee make a write up with great detail to do this?.. Just a thought

Yes we are doing them for people

Since you truck is an 00 I would upgrade to an 01 and up before doing the work.

I have in the process of building a KB, Eaton, MP unit right now that will be sold out right.

FlaHP

Established Member
Very interesting. I'm lucky that I don't have to worry about the stock intercooler anymore. An aftermarket pump will be a must to utilize that set up. I think the stock pump is only rated at 7-7.5 gpm.

Nothing will be the efficiency of your set up for making power. Trust me I love turbos but I am too stubborn not to make these big SCs work.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Nothing will be the efficiency of your set up for making power. Trust me I love turbos but I am too stubborn not to make these big SCs work.

And props for that. The stock intercooler is a huge restriction once you start moving massive amounts of air through it, like the 3.4L Whipple can do. Which is understandable considering it was designed for the little 1.9L Eaton. I can attest that "flow is king" when it comes to the water. Mine pumps huge amounts of water and cools the massive amount of airflow my turbo puts out quite well. Of course some of it is the efficiency of my intercooler core, but the flow is essential.

Keep up the good work and best of luck with the results. :beer:

FlaHP

Established Member
And props for that. The stock intercooler is a huge restriction once you start moving massive amounts of air through it, like the 3.4L Whipple can do. Which is understandable considering it was designed for the little 1.9L Eaton. I can attest that "flow is king" when it comes to the water. Mine pumps huge amounts of water and cools the massive amount of airflow my turbo puts out quite well. Of course some of it is the efficiency of my intercooler core, but the flow is essential.

Keep up the good work and best of luck with the results. :beer:

Its cool when guys like you get it!!!!!! A few of the big dogs knew what I was up to over the last few months and helped push me over the edge to do this.

I already bought a termy set up to make one for those guys.

We wanted to retain the stock IC to keep it affordable. We tried the raw core route and the cost was 3 times as much and crazy amount of work.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
awesome! as with my preaching flow is king!
Id like to see how an MP setup for this goes as id be interested in one for my truck..which will be daily driven.

FlaHP

Established Member
awesome! as with my preaching flow is king!
Id like to see how an MP setup for this goes as id be interested in one for my truck..which will be daily driven.

Its going to take the right type of guys for these.

Most likely built, 16psi and up, Aftermarket HE and a res that can hold ice and is into drag racing.

I was going to wait till I had some data logs but those number can be manipulated too much and no one ever has the same combo.

The bench flow test was the only honest way I could think to quantify the advantages. As long as a customer is from the school of more flow the better and supply enough cooled of coolant for a full pass this should be a winner.:banana:

I have changed everything on my truck since my last logs so even my numbers won't give a fair representation of what this can do. Typhoon and I were so fired up today we took it off and wrenched in the hot sun. I hope to have it running again in a few weeks. I am already broken in so teh dyno won't be far off and then some track runs.,

I killed a built tranny before all this so I don't have a lot of faith that the one in the truck will last very long either.

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
Yes we are doing them for people

Since you truck is an 00 I would upgrade to an 01 and up before doing the work.

I have in the process of building a KB, Eaton, MP unit right now that will be sold out right.

lemme know if you need a 2.3 truck to test with. Im only 10 miles from my tuner/dyno and we work real close on tuning and trying stuff

_XXX_

Established Member
Nice... How long does it take to recieve the IC back? "ESTIMATED OF COURSE"

Last edited:

FlaHP

Established Member
Nice... How long does it take to recieve the IC back? "ESTIMATED OF COURSE"

A safe time would be 3 weeks.

I am going to try to keep enough parts and raw billet in stock so there are no delays there.

Right now I have 2 under construction. They will be done in the order they come in.

I also will have a pre-built one that will be for a Eaton, KB or MP truck that I can take 01-04 cores trades. I will leave the runners up ported to help with down time.

I will be honest this is not for everyone. If you don't have mods in place to supply the extra cooler coolant there will be little benefit to doing this.

FlaHP

Established Member
lemme know if you need a 2.3 truck to test with. Im only 10 miles from my tuner/dyno and we work real close on tuning and trying stuff

Every ones numbers would be different since so few have the same build and mods. The bench flow test is enough testing if you need more flow than the factory system can provide and have the mods in place to support the extra flow.

FlaHP

Established Member
I forgot to add that even with the unit having front entry and rear exit flow, it is not a solid unit and can still be disassembled just like a factory unit for maintenance.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Its cool when guys like you get it!!!!!! A few of the big dogs knew what I was up to over the last few months and helped push me over the edge to do this.

I already bought a termy set up to make one for those guys.

We wanted to retain the stock IC to keep it affordable. We tried the raw core route and the cost was 3 times as much and crazy amount of work.

Its also been a little hard to get that point across to some friend and family when I explained the project.

To get people to see it as an IC and not think of it as a radiator or Heat exchange.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread