Established Member
Premium Member

lilcoop03

Established Member

coremaster21

Established Member

Voltwings

Established Member
I would never buy someone else's car that has been modified that heavily. Unless they're the type that just has money to blow and is bored with it, chances are you're buying someone else's headache if they're looking to get rid of it.

I could be wrong in this particular case / cases, but that's my .02.

Zemedici

Established Member
I would never buy someone else's car that has been modified that heavily. Unless they're the type that just has money to blow and is bored with it, chances are you're buying someone else's headache if they're looking to get rid of it.

or you go into it realizing the fact you may have to put some money into it to get the car where you want it...

I bought my 10th car with the whipple and shit already on it, saved probably 5-8k.....had to put some money into it, but its a used mustang.

drove it for a year and a half, zero issues

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

or you go into it realizing the fact you may have to put some money into it to get the car where you want it...

I bought my 10th car with the whipple and shit already on it, saved probably 5-8k.....had to put some money into it, but its a used mustang.

drove it for a year and a half, zero issues

both good points, caveat emptor... you can definitely find some good ones done right, but if you get a hold of one that hasn't been, it will end in tears.

RSbeast

Established Member
As someone who's had his c5 COUPE sold and fought over for $20k; I will say a clean C5Z is getting premium and I'd expect every bit of $20k. While cars surely deprecate, the older they get the more likely they are used up.

Vettes also see little to no return on mods. Idk if it's an old guy thing or what, but stock sells and gets the money. THAT SAID, ultra clean and tastefully modded cars will get a premium. I'd personally expect that c5z to be around $27k; which in no doubt in my mind is less than half of what it costs it build it.

Have any of you guys put together a corvette? Shit is expensive, and it snowballs.

Personally, I expect c6z to continue to fall into @ the 30k mark. They are still relatively newer and most all examples are pretty nice; albeit I've looked at a 6yr old 59k c6 that was absolutely ruined aswell.

I think the c6z is a better value here for basic aesthetic desire and the fact they are the last of the 427 corvettes. I think the c5z pictured would be more fun than both, easily more unique and be a better conversation piece. Likewise I (oddball out) prefer the cockpit feel of the c5. I can't get over feeling like I'm in a Cobalt/Malibu in a c6 and I can't stand the droopy looking center stack vents, the base cobalt wheel, the flat and cheapened gauges.

However a big box for me to check on a corvette is a targa/ open roof, so none of these have made it to my garage yet. Glad GM is finally making the Z's open roof, too bad it has to be with the ugly ass c7s.

Never_Enough

Established Member

Blah blah check the car out 1st or have a reputable shop do it for you then. Lots of us just get bored & want something else. Doesn't mean the car is bad. Lots of guys just like the build portion then sell to build another.

I love buying my cars modded already. Saves me a ton of money.

RSbeast

Established Member
To add if I EVER replace this corvette with another , there is NO WAY IN HELL I am paying for a stock one. There just aren't enough potential problems to cover the cost of building one up.

Never_Enough

Established Member
A
Have any of you guys put together a corvette? Shit is expensive, and it snowballs.
Mods don't add value & we don't get our money back. That goes for 99% of the cars you can build.

I think the c6z is a better value here for basic aesthetic desire and the fact they are the last of the 427 corvettes.
The 2013 427 Vert is technically the last 427 Vette.

I can't get over feeling like I'm in a Cobalt/Malibu in a c6 and I can't stand the droopy looking center stack vents, the base cobalt wheel, the flat and cheapened gauges.
Are you sure you're familiar with the C5 interior? The C6 interior surely is lacking, but the C6 interior vs C5 looks like a luxury car.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
C5 is ugly sorry. C6 is a great looking car. just can't get over how out dated and cheesy looking the front headlights on the C5 look. who cares that its fast. plenty of fast ugly cars out there for far less money.

and try re-selling that someday.... good luck with that!

the C5 interior is god awful ugly. typical plastic cheesy interior. aint nothing Luxurious about that. there is no way I could sit in that plastic out dated interior every day driving and be happy with that.

if this was a classic that would be a different story. its not, its a modern day muscle car that looks like it was designed in the 1980's.

RSbeast

Established Member
Mods clearly stand for something, saying they don't is silly and I'll easily argue against it as it's paid off tenfold for me in the past with mustangs, miatas, and even keeping my own c5 elevated and fought over. $5k forged wheels for instance are not worth the same or less than stockers. If it's worh even $1 more, your argument is defeated.

Yes, the anniversary car with the 427 is the very last; they are not the vaunted Z coupes. It always slips mind like it does the rest of the world who wants a 427 vette. As a continuation of the c6 GS/Z body it more or less goes without saying as part of 'the last of..."

Yes. I look at it often. It's still in my garage. Are there facets I dislike? Sure. But overall they ARE more cockpit like. Driven c6 zr1, c6, c6z etc. All the c6 were based on an XLR chassis, with more upright seating and a less aggressive windshield rake. The fenders don't come up as high nor roll into a lower cowl, rather you just see tapered peaks, and the hood is flat. It feels much less corvette to me; esp given my second corvette is a 1969 Stingray. The C5 feels more corvette - to me.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
agreed regarding C5 feeling more corvette..you really don't feel like you drive the car, more like wear it...The C5Z doesn't do a lot to isolate you from the road, nor the task of driving, you definitely feel the bond between man and machine. The interior is terrible, however the driving position is great and you do get the feeling of being in the cockpit of a fighter jet.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
agreed regarding C5 feeling more corvette..you really don't feel like you drive the car, more like wear it...The C5Z doesn't do a lot to isolate you from the road, nor the task of driving, you definitely feel the bond between man and machine. The interior is terrible, however the driving position is great and you do get the feeling of being in the cockpit of a fighter jet.

X10 on the c5z. Loud factory exhaust, minimal sound deadening, composite body, 3100 lb wet weight.

That car is the definition of a RAW drivers car.

Users who are viewing this thread