Future Army Active Duty

TrevorR90

Banned
I'm a 68w that is 2 months away from ETSing. Good luck with everything. AIT was 4 years ago for me and it sucked. Basic sucked too. A lot has changed in Ft Sam so I'm not sure how it is now. I did AIT when it was Army only at Ft Sam, but last I heard all services do medic training together in Ft Sam.

TrevorR90

Banned
Are Army medics allowed to engage? Our Navy corpsman didn't even have a rifle. He had a pistol that always was holstered.

I was a line medic in Afghanistan, I carried an M4. Although, I wasn't in the "middle" of everything when it came down to that.

Dragu1a

Established Member
Are Army medics allowed to engage? Our Navy corpsman didn't even have a rifle. He had a pistol that always was holstered.

that's doesn't make sense. every corpsman in our company carried rifles everywhere we did...especially on patrols.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Don't waste an option by trying to get AB in your contract. It's a recruiting tool bud. Go later. Get some money or a duty assignment or something like that if it's offered.

I will disagree with the above all day long. If you can get airborne in your contract then do it! Being airborne qualified will only help your career. I've never heard of anyone being offered a bonus OR airborne school, as if you can't have both at the same time.

OP you mentioned option 40, best of luck. The best thing you can do is get into the best shape of your life before you leave and don't let yourself get soft during AIT.

mav_tu

Established Member
Leave out in August for Ft. Sill Basic Training.

Gonna be 68 Whiskey

Absolutely cannot wait, and any info you guys could give would be very well recepted amnd be very much appreciated

imageuusc.jpg

One word: OPSEC. Learn it, use it, love it.

Army boot camp isn't that bad compared to others......

US Marine Corps Drill Instructor vs US Army Drill Sergeant - YouTube

Yea, this isn't even close to reality. I wish this was what it was like.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
One word: OPSEC. Learn it, use it, love it..

THIS ... there are few on this board that always scream "OPSEC" when something is posted and it is obvious they haven't a clue what it means or how to apply it.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
:shrug: Whats OPSEC?? No one sees anything thats posted on this car forum, this is the internet give a rest.

This one time at band camp...........

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
You're right. No one sees anything that is posted on this car forum... :rolleyes:

Taliban searches google. Third link down. "Oh, looky! I know when troops are moving. Let's consider them as our next target."

and YOU are one of the ones I was talking about. When your command announces that you are going to be deploying in April, and then they announce where you are going and then it is announced in the start and stripes in afghanistan, just how is it still opsec?

back in the day before they started announcing this shit I would agree with you. when someone is talking on the phone out here and tells his mom, or his commander in bagram that his chopper is leaving at 8 and will get to bagram at 8:45 I agree with you.

but too many times people scream about opsec when it is not opsec. just like they over classify everything with no thought as to just what it's proper classification should be.

Last edited:

mav_tu

Established Member
and YOU are one of the ones I was talking about. When your command announces that you are going to be deploying in April, and then they announce where you are going and then it is announced in the start and stripes in afghanistan, just how is it still opsec?

back in the day before they started announcing this shit I would agree with you. when someone is talking on the phone out here and tells his mom, or his commander in bagram that his chopper is leaving at 8 and will get to bagram at 8:45 I agree with you.

but too many times people scream about opsec when it is not opsec. just like they over classify everything with no thought as to just what it's proper classification should be.

Hmmm. I've made four posts in the last year. I may not post often, but I've been around a long while. I don't post things to jump people's case, just offer some guidance. Not sure how I "scream" OPSEC, and I know this is the kinder, gentler Army; but I don't know how I could have be nicer. I didn't call the guy any names. I simply advised him to be aware of OPSEC, hoping he would realize how it effects his (and his battle buddy's) safety. I understand this is a troop movement to basic training. Not exactly a national security issue.

The point is that new people to the military need to be mindful of how specific the information is that they are sharing, and how it can effect mission readiness. In your example you said the Stars and Stripes would publish the month (April) of a deployment. Stars and Stripes would not say that a certain element would be deploying from location X, headed to location Y, and will be travelling on 5 Apr. With a little commonsense and/or research, the enemy could determine fairly reliably where our troops are departing from and arriving to when moving to BCT. Vague information is always safer, e.g., only disclosing the month of one's ship-out.

The point is to train as you fight. Protect mission information - always. I'm sorry if it offends you by me making an on the spot correction that could potentially mold a soldier's future thoughts/behaviors/habits in a way that could save lives. I hope that in the future you will join me in making solders aware of the risks they are taking, even if they don't realize the gravity of their innocuous statements. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread