Future Resale Value of the Terminator

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
well I paid $26.5K for my 03 Cobra 6 months ago.
Yes its alot but it was mint with 8K miles on it and it was what I wanted with no mods and exact color in black like I wanted.
Plus it was sitting on a dealers showroom floor so another reason I paid a bit more.

Keep all the stock parts.
You will be a happy camper if you have the time.

These cars were built to go fast. Considering the '03'-'04 is really a an '02 that never was...
If you look at the total production you will see there were very few '04's compared to the '03. No map net/truck net on the '04. '04 no gas guzzler tax with ECU tune and different cats on the '04. Also the Stereo will play MP3's in the '04 version of the Vestion Stereo not so for the '03.
I would say no other major differences...
I'm sticking with my guns....
Let people mod them with auto trans SRA and the like. Throw those Cobras in the garbage.
Idiots could of done the same with a Mach 1. Not my car nor money. You have to live with it.
Jeff

lx347cid

Established Member
the car was garage kept all its life prior to me buying it. so hats off to the dealer for keeping the car inside like it should be away from the weather.
It made a difference to me so thats all that matters.
Car was brand spanking new basically.

That has to be one of the worst justifications for overpaying on a vehicle I have ever heard.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
the car was garage kept all its life prior to me buying it. so hats off to the dealer for keeping the car inside like it should be away from the weather.
It made a difference to me so thats all that matters.
Car was brand spanking new basically.

Excellent.
Garaged California car since I bought it new. 31k miles. Nice I can drive it 24/7.
Is that why there are so many California haters?
If I sold it for 50k the buyer would be getting a great deal. You can't come close to duplicating it for the bucks.
Jeff

dom418

Established Member
I also think the Terminator will continue to hold a strong resale value but not go up until I'm grey. Now it also depends on the car. I paid almost 30K for my black 04 coupe 1 year ago with 4,000 miles. The car was brand new and most important for me, it was stock. Am I crazy? Maybe, but that is exactly what I wanted and I know there were not many left like mine. I love how people that don't own a Terminator bitch about how high prices are, lets face it, it still brings a strong following which accounts for the higher than normal resale value. I think comparing our cars to the GN is very fair since both models basically set the stage for future muscle cars i.e. the GT500. They were the first of their kind.

I really don't think comparing the resale value of the Terminator and GT500 is fair since they are pretty different machines. In the end who knows which one will be worth more, it will all depend on what the public demands. If you strictly look at production numbers, I think the Terminator has the edge.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
LOL at all of the experts in this thread. :rollseyes

Want to buy a California car?
No Flintstone floorboards.....

Time will tell.
No matter, the car is and will stay in the family.
One mans Ferrari is another mans Cobra.
Guess I could buy whatever car I wanted to.
Jeff

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
I'll be honest I wanted a cobra because of all the kick ass videos on streetfire and YouTube, the respect they get, and the story behind the car along with their potential.

I bought mine for a hair over 15k with a rebuilt title, by the time I get it he way I want it I'll have 18 - 20 In it but that's okay with me. I'll have a 700 at the crank hp car that looks great and is still very drivable. I think it's hard to obtain that for 20k regardless of what you start with .

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Enjoy the cars while you have them.

Anything over 5K in miles with ANY mods is gonna be worth whatever the buyer will pay. Whether it be tomorrow or 2030.

Once the 'restorations' start, then the real guessing can begin.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I bought mine to enjoy knowing it would decrease in value. Look at 2000 Cobra R's right now. A year ago clean ones were selling in the mid $40k range, now that number is in the mid to upper $30k range, a big drop in a year. Most cars will go down in value, some will rise back up later on but it all depends on demand for that particular car. Buy one to enjoy !!!!!

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Well I wouldn't ever expect to see an 03/04 Cobra for less than $12k unless it has more than 70k miles. At the same time I don't know that they'll be worth anything worthwhile in the next 10-15 years. But really, it is all just speculation on everyone's part.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
I bought mine to enjoy knowing it would decrease in value. Look at 2000 Cobra R's right now. A year ago clean ones were selling in the mid $40k range, now that number is in the mid to upper $30k range, a big drop in a year. Most cars will go down in value, some will rise back up later on but it all depends on demand for that particular car. Buy one to enjoy !!!!!

Yes I bought the car to drive with no expectations of what the future may bring.

It wasn't until I started looking into the car I knew it is something special.
First mind, first thought was, This Mustang goes like stink +1.
When things were brought into perspective I gave it a second thought.
Ok, it may be not a a Cobra, GT350, GT500 K-code 428. Still it has the LIMITED production value you can't overlook.

No doubt in the future, the Terminator will bring some serious bucks. If we knew when that will be is up to to know-it-all car people. :beer:
Jeff

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
You will see a little more of a decrease in "avg" price of Terminators and the GT500's will start heading south as well. Remember that the more cars in the market for sale will effect the price. There are a lot of 07-09 GT 500's out there that are starting to surface for sale, whether they are upgrading to the 10' or the mind set of "gotta have a Shelby" has worn off.

On the other hand, the lending available on the Terminators is going to get difficult which may effect the selling price. Most lending institutions will not lend longer term contracts on 6+yr old cars, and this is going to be hard on the buyer as most require a loan. Although I don't like this theory, it will happen, and the average guy is not going to justify a 36mo loan on 20k (avg Terminator in a year) when he can get a 60m loan on 34k (avg Shelby in a year) and have the same payment, possible warranty, and still badass potential.?

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Just go on ebay. 2003 Cobra's ( not even 2004's ) low Milieage clean cobra's are bidding over $21,000
I'm glad my 2003 Vert ( showroom mint ) only had 10,000 miles on it !!!!

VNGNCE908

VNGNCE
Established Member
I think the Terminator may end up like the american version of the supra (GASP!). It has a near bullet proof engine with a solid drivetrain, that is easly modified to be fast. At the same time, its value may never increase above what it was new (even in 20-30 years), but it probably will hold steady IMO.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Ultimately, down the road, exclusivity, and rarity usually determine the value of cars. 20 years from now, a very large percentage of these cars will be ragged out, smashed, converted to stick axles, auto transmissions, etc., so the remaining ones that are in excellent/good condition will demand a premium price to the collector who wants one for their collection. Look at the value of the '93 Cobras! They were nothing in comparison to the Terminator, performance-wise (or with such a cool history of development!), yet are still highly sought after, and their continually climbing value attests to that!

DJG

Established Member
I think the Terminator may end up like the american version of the supra (GASP!)

Very interesting analogy - I'm with you on that one. Any car that can make over 500 horses (at the crank) with less than a $1,000 investment is always going to be sought after by a niche audience, much like the Supra. Even the Supras with nearly 100k on the clock are still going for $25k+ (as long as they're turbo and 6spd, obviously). It's a solid rebuildable foundation that tons of power can be derived from with little effort.

Great point! :beer:

Last edited:

DJG

Established Member

Even though the Cobra R is a very niche vehicle, which typically doesn't feel the effect of a down economy as much as your everyday car, we're in such a sh*tty economic slump right now that everything is down in value. I think that is the true reason for the decrease in this case... Wealthy people typically own these kinds of vehicles and many of them are probably losing their businesses, etc. Hence, as a result, they're likely rushing to offload unnecessary assets (resulting in a lower than normal price), which I believe is a category that a garage queen Cobra R would fit in to. Once the economy rebounds, you'll see prices begin to go back up, guaranteed. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread