Future

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
Alright, I realize that asking for advice and venting in this place is a recipe for disaster. But I've gotta vent.

I'm finishing up my junior year in HS and beginning to realize that the next stage of my life is pretty rapidly approaching. Unfortunately, my parents are too. My mom and I just got in a pretty good fight about my grades and why I don't achieve what I'm capable of. Now, my grades aren't just terrible, but definitely not spectactular. As I sit, I have a 3.6 GPA in high school, and a 3.4 GPA in the 15 hours of college classes I've taken and I scored a 28 on my ACT; which I'm 90% sure I can up to a 30+ the next time I take it. The problem is, I'm capable of alot better, my parents know it, I know it, and worst of all, my teachers know it. I actually got rejected from the National Honor Society because they said I'm an underachiever.

What exactly do I do to change that around? So far, it hasn't spread into any other facet of my life, I always get commended by my bosses and my coaches for my work ethic, but I wanna change this before it does spread. Any suggestions?

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
Dude, you are 17, right? I'll give it to you straight, no BS or sarcasm. Don't give it 1 ****ing thought, you are too young to begin worrying yourself to death and over analyzing life. Be young and enjoy things - you have plenty of time to evolve and adapt to life's challenges. There is nothing wrong w/ bettering yourself and striving for better performance but to start questioning yourself and pondering why you are not achieving your best is not the best area to put your energy. Long story short - don't worry, I don't see a problem w/ a 3.6GPA. I graduated w/ a 3.6 and now I am about to complete my masters in psychology from HBU. Parents and teachers tend to overstate their concerns, so listen but don't allow them to create anxiety or doubts within you.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
Alright, I realize that asking for advice and venting in this place is a recipe for disaster. But I've gotta vent.

I'm finishing up my junior year in HS and beginning to realize that the next stage of my life is pretty rapidly approaching. Unfortunately, my parents are too. My mom and I just got in a pretty good fight about my grades and why I don't achieve what I'm capable of. Now, my grades aren't just terrible, but definitely not spectactular. As I sit, I have a 3.6 GPA in high school, and a 3.4 GPA in the 15 hours of college classes I've taken and I scored a 28 on my ACT; which I'm 90% sure I can up to a 30+ the next time I take it. The problem is, I'm capable of alot better, my parents know it, I know it, and worst of all, my teachers know it. I actually got rejected from the National Honor Society because they said I'm an underachiever.

What exactly do I do to change that around? So far, it hasn't spread into any other facet of my life, I always get commended by my bosses and my coaches for my work ethic, but I wanna change this before it does spread. Any suggestions?

Just make sure when you find what you do want to do, take it seriously and work hard at it. I think the problem is you aren't motivated because school isn't all that challenging to you. Sure, you could get a 4.0 but why?

Your mom's intentions are good but if she thinks grades are an absolute indicator of success then she is just wrong. Many VERY successfull people didn't set the world on fire as far as grades are concerned, in HS or college (there's been studies of successful people and one of the things lowest on the 'indicator' list is grades). Unless you're wanting a full ride to a prestigious university i wouldn't worry too much about it.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member

Your still ok but playtime is officially over where school is concerned. Youve got to give a solid effort in college because thats where it really counts. If you have 3.6 cruising through HS you could get 3.8-4.0 in college with some hard work.

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
How has the rejection affected you?

What reasons have you come up w/ that keeps you from achieving?

What were your grades like during your freshman and sophmore years?

What does your dad think?

What do you want for yourself?

What do you want to do w/ your life?

What motivates you to do well in sports and your job?

How is it different from what motivates you to perform in the classroom?

Is it different?

Could it be you have been driven so hard and now feel a little burned out?

Could it be you have too much on your plate right now (HS and college classes) and are having trouble keeping up?

What purpose do you think getting lesser grades serve? - attention? hope to lessen work load? THEORY - all behavior serves a purpose, until you identify that purpose you cannot change the root issue (underperforming)

What other stressors do you have besides parents and teachers critcizing your performance? girlfriend? peer problems?

I'll think of some more open-ended questions to ponder.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
How has the rejection affected you? It pissed me off, especially because I've known potsmokers who were inducted by the same people that rejected me, but in the end, I can see why they did it, so I can't really argue.

What reasons have you come up w/ that keeps you from achieving? Laziness mostly, it's pretty much self-inflicted

What were your grades like during your freshman and sophmore years? Normally A's with a few B+s thrown in.

What does your dad think? That's what pains me most. I know that he's proud of me, but I also know that it disappoints him to think that I could be doing better.

What do you want for yourself? I don't really know, which I'm sure is why I'm in this predicament in the first place.

What do you want to do w/ your life? Hoping to become a psychologist and from then on who knows? :shrug:

What motivates you to do well in sports and your job? I don't really know. The money I'm sure is part of the driving factor as far as the job is concerned, but also I don't want to be looked down upon by an employer.

How is it different from what motivates you to perform in the classroom? The only thing that motivates me in the classroom is clock ticking towards time to go lol. I don't really know how its different, but teachers opinions have really not ever motivated me.

Is it different? Not really no. There are only a few teachers whom I truly respect and am willing to work hard for.

Could it be you have been driven so hard and now feel a little burned out? To be honest, this probably does play a meager role. Throughout JH and Elementary I was always the smart kid who never got below 94s on papers.

Could it be you have too much on your plate right now (HS and college classes) and are having trouble keeping up? This might play a role, but it would only be a small one. I'm juggling HS and college classes as well as playing 4 sports and working when ever I get the chance, so free-time is an afterthought.

What purpose do you think getting lesser grades serve? - attention? hope to lessen work load? THEORY - all behavior serves a purpose, until you identify that purpose you cannot change the root issue (underperforming) Not so much attention. In fact I despise attention, unless it is because of something good I have done. Probably more so to lessen the workload, though it adds stress to my parents and I's relationship.

What other stressors do you have besides parents and teachers critcizing your performance? None really. I generally keep a good outlook on life and though I am a bit cynical at times, I try to stay as positive and laidback as possible. girlfriend? Don't have one. The single thing appeals to me more and more when I look at the girls that are in my school. peer problems? Truthfully, the only opinions that ever really stick in my head are those of my peers (besides my parents of course). Not so much about stupid stuff like clothes and the newest gadgets, but it really sticks me when they despise me for being an underachiever.

I'll think of some more open-ended questions to ponder.

Thanks, for that post man. Gave me a bit of reflection which is never a bad thing.

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
Wow, you sure as heck do not suffer from a lack of ambition. I'll be back tommorrow. In our classes, our role plays have been pretty difficult. I played the role of the therapist and a classmate played the role of the client - we were graded on our performance dealing with the presenting problem.(45 minute role plays) The point: some issues are extremely difficult to nail down and are vague, transient meaning they come and go w/ no obvious cause apparent.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Dude, to be honest with you grades in high school AND college are not as important as everyone makes them out to be.

I had below a 3.0 in highschool (had a 32 composite ACT), the only real difference it made with college is that I had to pay for it as I went while working. If I had even a 3.0, with my ACT scores I would've had full rides.

Does this mean I won't expect excellence from my son, hell no, but I wouldn't beat myself up if I were you.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
Work Hard..er?

Definitely.

Now sometimes grades matter more than others but they are a direct reflection on how hard an individual is willing to work to attain a goal.Intelligent employers will want to look at this provided its not a credential type position such as mine.
In healthcare you might be an RN , RRT ,or even an MD. But the quality among these individuals varies greatly as in from an absolute moron to darn near a genius but they have identical credentials. You dont know what you have until they get there. Just do your best because your obviously intelligent.Dont waste your opportunities and dont stress over something you can fix without breaking a sweat. Good luck young man.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Your mom's intentions are good but if she thinks grades are an absolute indicator of success then she is just wrong. Many VERY successfull people didn't set the world on fire as far as grades are concerned, in HS or college (there's been studies of successful people and one of the things lowest on the 'indicator' list is grades). Unless you're wanting a full ride to a prestigious university i wouldn't worry too much about it.
Living Proof right here! I had decent gpa in HS but when college came I just had terrible test taking ethics...and never did well. But I graduated and had my first real job (currently still do) about 3 months before I ever graduated. I feel that I have good work ethics and communication along with confidence and know that is the reason I am where I am today. I have alot friends that are 4.0 students and who are so smart is scary but have so many probs finding jobs after graduation. Just my .002.....Im sure other will disagree. I would just do like others have said prior to me and not stress it so much....

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Living Proof right here! I had decent gpa in HS but when college came I just had terrible test taking ethics...and never did well. But I graduated and had my first real job (currently still do) about 3 months before I ever graduated. I feel that I have good work ethics and communication along with confidence and know that is the reason I am where I am today. I have alot friends that are 4.0 students and who are so smart is scary but have so many probs finding jobs after graduation. Just my .002.....Im sure other will disagree. I would just do like others have said prior to me and not stress it so much....

+1, I never understood why you would major in History or Political Science and not go onto law school.

nodaksvt

ehhh?
Established Member
when good isnt good enough, there is always community college....j/k
dont burn yourself out over this.
how much more are you gonna achieve by reaching a 4.0 gpa compared to a 3.6?
just get your ass into a good college and call it a day. no one likes an overachiever.
good advice is dont sweat the small stuff and dont freekin over analyize everything.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
when good isnt good enough, there is always community college....j/k
dont burn yourself out over this.
how much more are you gonna achieve by reaching a 4.0 gpa compared to a 3.6?
just get your ass into a good college and call it a day. no one likes an overachiever.
good advice is dont sweat the small stuff and dont freekin over analyize everything.

The question is, what grade point scale is his GPA based on? I know that when I was in high school, every school used a 4.0 scale. But today, schools have anywhere from a 4.0 to 8.0

The local high school here in Florida is on a 5.0 because they weight college prep and advanced courses higher. So a 3.6 on a 4.0 scale is quite good, but on a 5.0 scale, it is just okay.

Juruense

Banned
Once you hit 16-17 years old the decisions you make really start to matter and you will have to live with them for the rest of your life. So make smart decisions.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
The question is, what grade point scale is his GPA based on? I know that when I was in high school, every school used a 4.0 scale. But today, schools have anywhere from a 4.0 to 8.0

The local high school here in Florida is on a 5.0 because they weight college prep and advanced courses higher. So a 3.6 on a 4.0 scale is quite good, but on a 5.0 scale, it is just okay.

Its on a 4.0 scale. I don't really know why, but when I asked because of my college classes, that is what they told me. I figured it would be on a 5.0 scale too.

Users who are viewing this thread