Future

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Its on a 4.0 scale. I don't really know why, but when I asked because of my college classes, that is what they told me. I figured it would be on a 5.0 scale too.

That being the case, your mother should be very happy with a 3.6 on a 4.0 scale.

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
Its on a 4.0 scale. I don't really know why, but when I asked because of my college classes, that is what they told me. I figured it would be on a 5.0 scale too.
The only advice I can give you is to study more, this is from personal experience.

I graduated high school with a 3.25 GPA, taking some AP classes but in general not overworking myself. I got into a decent engineering school and got a scholarship for half the tuition. You have no idea how much I regret not busting my ass in high school and going to an Ivy league school, it is much easier to differentiate yourself as someone who is not just smart but also ambitious and hardworking at your age then it is when you're older. As you get older the world becomes very competitive, starting with college and then leading to work.

If you need motivation, talk to people who graduated from shitty colleges versus good schools and see how much easier it was finding kick ass jobs for people who went to the good schools.

VAMPIR3

Established Member
Do you already know where you want to go to college? A 3.6 is pretty damn good and you can pretty much get into any College you want with a GPA like that. Your Senoir year will be cake and you wont have it nearly as bad as the last 3 years of H.S.
And College..... dude you will have the freaking time of your life:beer:

When you graduate thats when it gets hard because you will have to Interview and compete with so many other people for jobs and positions...... What are you focusing on for a career if you dont mind me asking?

acrod

Established Member
man what the hell, a 3.6 is pretty dam good GPA, your parents need to stop stressing you out. If you feel like you should be doing better then stop slacking off then by all means, but a 3.6 is nothing to scoff at. I know many valedictorians and 4.0 grads who are doing absolutely nothing. The only thing a good HS GPA will get you is a better pick on schools/program and whether you get a full ride, partial or none. Once you are in college , HS grades mean squat, believe me. I graduated with a 3.2GPA totally coasting through HS. My parents knew I could have done better, shoot I know I could have done better but I was pretty lazy. It didn't change the school I wanted to go to or the programs that I wanted to get into. I got a Bachelor's and hopefully will be working on my masters soon, just waiting for the wife to finish hers. In the end as long as you are able to get a degree/job that makes you happy, that what matters.

Last edited:

SpectorV

Established Member
just realize that what you do now will make or break your future potential... effort you put forth now will make it all the easier in the future to relax more :) pay it forward if you will.

stangin99

Established Member
The only advice I can give you is to study more, this is from personal experience.

I graduated high school with a 3.25 GPA, taking some AP classes but in general not overworking myself. I got into a decent engineering school and got a scholarship for half the tuition. You have no idea how much I regret not busting my ass in high school and going to an Ivy league school, it is much easier to differentiate yourself as someone who is not just smart but also ambitious and hardworking at your age then it is when you're older. As you get older the world becomes very competitive, starting with college and then leading to work.

If you need motivation, talk to people who graduated from shitty colleges versus good schools and see how much easier it was finding kick ass jobs for people who went to the good schools.

+1

Getting free college is a huge plus. Getting accepted into a tough program at a picky school is a bigger plus. Neither will happen with lazy grades/performance.

I was much like you in HS. I had a little lower GPA but was a huge underachiever. I however did very well on my SAT's and got into a very good college for my major, graduated from a VERY demanding program, and now am enjoying making bank working on stuff I enjoy. Although I didn't have any scholarships so I have big student loan to pay off.

I would say, bust your ass to do as well as you can, get into the college you want, but also set aside some free time to have fun. The people who studied 24/7 in HS are some of the most boring people alive in college/work. Same goes for the people who partied everyday day and didn't give a rats ass.

While the people who did well in HS but also had fun are THE most interesting.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
3.6 is fine. Your parents have some very high expectations. As long as you get into the college of your choice, who gives a crap how close to a 4.0 you are? BS in aerospace at VT and am now working on my MS in astronautics at USC while working full-time; just bust your butt in college and you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread