G8 GT vs. Cobra

CLN 6R

Established Member
Im sure a vast majority of G8 owners are daily drivers that bought the car for its looks. Now, yea, I think its a rip off off a bimmer but I do think its a great looking car. So I certainly would put it on a short list for a great buy for someone who needs or wants 4 doors. Anything can made to be fast. But, Unlike Cobra's most G8's will stay stock, just like most SHO's
The G8's are basically a rebadged Holden Commodore. The Commodore in present body style have been around longer than the current body style bimmers. The reason you guys tend to think that the G8 is a rip off of a bimmer is because you are not aware of what has been happening across the pond.

I think you are mistaken when you assume that most G8's will stay stock. I really really doubt that considering most people who bought the G8's seem to be Ford or Mopar guys who, at that time, were not satisfied with what their own company were providing or are former GTO and Vette owners who wanted a 4 door with balls. There are not a whole lot of G8's in total but I have seen a shit-ton of them already modded. Some just lighter mods and others starting to get fairly heavy into em.
Beat me to it.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
You might want to look into this further. The Gen IV GM LSx engines have been holding a shit-ton of power in totally stock form with just connecting rod bolt upgrades and a swapped valvetrain. I am not saying 700+rwhp is going to last all day every day in a daily driver but the 6.0 L76 in the GT and especially the 6.2 LS3 in the GXP have been putting down some real good power without much issue. There are people pushing 600+ at the tires on their LS2 GTO's and LS2/LS3 Corvette DD's and have been lasting for a long long time. Those engines are very very similar to what is in the G8 GT and GXP. The GM engines, especially the newer ones, are considerably stronger than you may think. They aren't "Terminator strong" but it is not uncommon to see a 10 second GTO or Vette daily driven on mostly stock drivetrain.

I dont disagree with the points you make. I just think its a crapshoot when dealing with stock internals. I have seen an LS2 vette at my track making a pass with a 150 shot of nitrous on a wet kit with all else being stock(save for maybe some exhaust) and melt a piston. Of course that could be blamed on the tune or incorrect installation, but I dont think so because the shop out here that tunes and does alot of nitrous setups on the vast majority of LS powered vehicles is very reputable.

There is also a red cammed ls2 gto here that I have ran against running a 150 shot and he said he has been running it since he bought the car new a couple years ago and hasnt had any problems so who knows.

At the same time I was actually shocked to learn what some stock mach 1 motors have been handling for years. There is a guy on the mach1registry named ultraflo that has been running a 175 shot of nitrous on his stock motor mach 1 for years with dozens of bottles through it and countless passes at the track and the motor still hasnt failed. I never thought they could handle anything more than a 125 shot. And he isnt the only one....

Thats great to see what some people are putting their stock drivetrains through and having success. Its not something I ever wanted to do because Im just one of those people who likes things to be overbuilt for what I want it to do.....Thats just me though, lol.

Last edited:

Mr.Venom

Quick with Boltons
Established Member
Just adding to the G8 times on my friends 08 G8 GT. With a full exhaust, intake, 3600 stall and tune he ran 12.54 on street tires.

Deuuuce

Established Member
my GTO has a catback, intake, and dyno tune (375rwhp), and would get walked by a stock cobra

Very slowly. Assuming you're a great driver and a 6M, the Cobra would also have to be great as well.

Add in the sub thousand dollars it costs for a tune on the sho to make it rip 12s off and Id say its a pretty freakin nice car for the price that will also get it done quite nicely at the strip and you havent even started adding bolt ons.

I have a speculation that due to the shear weight of the SHO and small turbos, full bolt-on and tuned they won't do any better than a full bolt-on and tuned G8 GXP. Maybe perhaps worse.

Think 335ix with an 700-800lb anchor...

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
lol yes and my evo with 3 mods runs 10.2@140 and owns 600hp cobras, and I gained 300hp with just 3 bolt ons. so my shit owns!:rockon:

I agree with you 100% this website is full of these import trolls, I dont think this is a mustang forum anymore, theres more morons on here that think imports own, and get mad when mustang guys arent into imports, last time I checked this is a mustang forum, and I wil give credit where credit is due, but dam soon as u post about a civic, or evo ,or gtr,srt4 camaro, or g8,evo etcc all the nut swingers and fanbois come out of the woodwork, the way I look @ it if i wanted a import I wouldnt of bought a mustang or joined mustang / svt forums, there in a mustang forum pissing and moaning if u dont like it take ur import,gtr,evo,civics,honda eco turbo box,,srt4,etc etc to ur right forum along with ur other fanbois,

but this isnt all guys,because I myself love g8 gt's and alot of nice guys on here that dont drive mustangs, but in the past year all these morons make isane claims, like the nutswingers defeding a guy claims to gain 200+awhp with 3 mods. etc theres so much :bs: its gonna cause :pop::lol: but like stated before I think theres alot of guys on the :wf: the best about the import guys on here or bench racers, if 1 car does it that means all of them run it, oh 1 guy in a gtr blah blah ran 10's bone stock, so ur 800hp cobra will lose to my godly gtr or my stock turbo evo or srt4 makes 500hp and i smoke 500hp cars and i have 3 mods blah blah blah, im sick of this crap to theres so many unrealistic claims by import guys online its funny as shit!

and the minute a guy posts a race of his mustang vs import etc, the owners or fanbois will go out there way to make a name on a mustang forum or come out of nowhere to defend there internet honor and expect every 1 to belive anything over the internet. anything to try to prove there car owns a mustang, I'm so sick of that, every where i go theres always some tool in a srt4 or evo import etc trying to race me or talk shit to me, or if u ever try to hold a logical conversation with a import driver, there best kill is always " I beat a mustang gt with blah blah" it pisses me off does that help them sleep @ night there goal is to be faster then a mustang? and im minding my own business and dont say shit, and all they do is talk shit " oh ur car is slow" mustangs are junk i smoke them blah blah" does that help these trolls and import owners sleep @ night that there faster then a mustang, and even if its ricer bs there goal in life is to make others belive it and make them sleep @ night being faster then a mustang lol

perfect example, 1 or 2 guys run 10.80's in a stock z06, to vette nut swingers on here, if ur in a 500+hp cobra and post a kill of beating a stock 1 they have to come out the woodwork to defend there honor,as if all of them run 10.80's same goes with srt4 guys, evo guys etc etc..

Wut Tee Fook?

What does anything you just typed have to do with this thread? And why did you just type a book on a car forum?

rocket5979

Established Member
I dont disagree with the points you make. I just think its a crapshoot when dealing with stock internals. I have seen an LS2 vette at my track making a pass with a 150 shot of nitrous on a wet kit with all else being stock(save for maybe some exhaust) and melt a piston. Of course that could be blamed on the tune or incorrect installation, but I dont think so because the shop out here that tunes and does alot of nitrous setups on the vast majority of LS powered vehicles is very reputable.

There is also a red cammed ls2 gto here that I have ran against running a 150 shot and he said he has been running it since he bought the car new a couple years ago and hasnt had any problems so who knows.

At the same time I was actually shocked to learn what some stock mach 1 motors have been handling for years. There is a guy on the mach1registry named ultraflo that has been running a 175 shot of nitrous on his stock motor mach 1 for years with dozens of bottles through it and countless passes at the track and the motor still hasnt failed. I never thought they could handle anything more than a 125 shot. And he isnt the only one....

Thats great to see what some people are putting their stock drivetrains through and having success. Its not something I ever wanted to do because Im just one of those people who likes things to be overbuilt for what I want it to do.....Thats just me though, lol.

Fenix I agree with most of what you said, and you do seem like a pretty reasonable guy. However, even though the vette may have been tuned properly for that shot that doesn't mean the owner used it responsibly or other hardware not related to the stock engine didn't mess up. Sometimes shit does happen even in fairly strong engines but honestly a LS2 should be able to take a 150 wetshot all day long without hiccup if it is tuned correctly, setup correctly, and used correctly. That Vette seems more the exception than the rule when it comes to serving as an example of how long most Gen IV LSx engines will last on power adders. I have been a Ford guy for a long time now. But I will be the first one to admit that I was shocked as all hell just what kind of power the GM guys were putting down through their stocker engines. It was significantly more than I used to assume. They aren't gods gift to engines but they sure as heck can hold some damn good power when setup and tuned right.

I prefer to overbuild things too in most of my vehicles. That is why my Exploder has all billet internals even though I don't really plan to push 1,000+ hp with it. It's just nice to have that extra safety net. I consider pushing 600rwhp with a rock solid tune and a little meth injection to be pretty reliable for a stock LSx engine with just upgraded connecting rod hardware and valvetrain components. When I have enough money I eventually plan to build the bottom end along with the tranny and shove about 14-16 psi boost through the intake. That might be a little while from now. :beer:

Last edited:

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
Wut Tee Fook?

What does anything you just typed have to do with this thread? And why did you just type a book on a car forum?

that was response to the trolls joining the site to make new sn with 1 post just to post in the thread to defend there brand of car. and that was a response to shadgrey 03 below was whatt he said which i quoted and said that in response to him and another guy that was jumped on buy the trolls..

That was his post, which I responded to

Originally Posted by Shadow Grey 03
This is the problem with the internet. I wasn't mad/sarcastic or anything along those lines. Just making a statement that it's funny that people feel compelled to join a site for the sole purpose of defending their car. I never doubted what these cars run. I just said it was funny. If I came in here and was bashing everyone and their brother, then I would deserve to be laughed at like some of these idiots in other threads who think Ford is the only company that ever made a car.
That being said, I wasn't calling anyone out to make them feel unwelcome here just making a broad statement about the quirks of the internet. If you feel like I was attacking someone, then I guess that's just how it's going to be. Time for me to attend to more important matters in life. Enjoy your evening . I know I will

Last edited:

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
that was response to the trolls joining the site to make new sn with 1 post just to post in the thread to defend there brand of car. and that was a response to shadgrey 03 below was whatt he said which i quoted and said that in response to him and another guy that was jumped on buy the trolls..

That was his post, which I responded to

Originally Posted by Shadow Grey 03
This is the problem with the internet. I wasn't mad/sarcastic or anything along those lines. Just making a statement that it's funny that people feel compelled to join a site for the sole purpose of defending their car. I never doubted what these cars run. I just said it was funny. If I came in here and was bashing everyone and their brother, then I would deserve to be laughed at like some of these idiots in other threads who think Ford is the only company that ever made a car.
That being said, I wasn't calling anyone out to make them feel unwelcome here just making a broad statement about the quirks of the internet. If you feel like I was attacking someone, then I guess that's just how it's going to be. Time for me to attend to more important matters in life. Enjoy your evening . I know I will

Except he wasn't jumped on by trolls, he was jumped on by a member who has actually been here longer than him and used to own Ford products. It was actually a pretty knowledgeable and rational thread up until he came in acting like it was only ok for Cobra owners to be a part of the site.

Zentenk

Established Member
I have a friend that just ran a 12.22 at 112 with bolt-ons, tune and stall in his G8 GT.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Except he wasn't jumped on by trolls, he was jumped on by a member who has actually been here longer than him and used to own Ford products. It was actually a pretty knowledgeable and rational thread up until he came in acting like it was only ok for Cobra owners to be a part of the site.

I never said this site was only for Cobra owners. Just that random people with "a couple of posts" meaning only a few not 700, were joining to comment out of nowhere. That is all.

rocket5979

Established Member
Except he wasn't jumped on by trolls, he was jumped on by a member who has actually been here longer than him and used to own Ford products.

I still own the Kenne Bell Supercharged Explorer and a Ranger. With as much money and time as I got into the Exploder there is no way in hell I am getting rid of that short of life and death emergency. :lol: I did sell the Lincoln to get the G8 though. :beer::rolling:

....but then again, you could be talking about CLN 6R too. haha.

I have a friend that just ran a 12.22 at 112 with bolt-ons, tune and stall in his G8 GT.

I saw that the other day on the G8 forums. That is pretty impressive for just bolt ons with no cam, no nitrous, and no forced induction of any sort. I didn't really think these cars would muster much more than a middle 12 with full boltons even at a fast track like ATCO.

Last edited:

MysticCobra281

JaysonBourne
Established Member
My friend just bought a g8 and it doesnt outrun my 96 cobra. the g8 is stock and my cobra has exhaust full suspension and a 4.30 gear. ive done a lot of street racing and id bet anything that a g8 with those mods cant beat a stock 03. if the g8 put down 375 to the wheels ive never seen an 03 cobra put down less than 365 stock. the g8 is givin up about 400 pounds so it would have to have at least 405-410 at the wheels to make it even. just my opinion but id say its pretty close.

ttk53

Established Member
Why's it funny? :D

2008 Pontiac G8GT

Vararam CAI, ARH longtubes, high-flow cats, x-pipe, ported throttle body, ported intake, dyno tune, Yank 3200 stall converter, MT ET Streets, poly bushings, coil-overs

DA -89 @ Island Dragway

12.420 @ 111.04, 1.75 60'

1d325d27.jpg

My cobra went 12.33 @ 115, 1.96 60' on street tires,
Mods O/R X and a catback

Mika

Established Member
My friend just bought a g8 and it doesnt outrun my 96 cobra. the g8 is stock and my cobra has exhaust full suspension and a 4.30 gear. ive done a lot of street racing and id bet anything that a g8 with those mods cant beat a stock 03. if the g8 put down 375 to the wheels ive never seen an 03 cobra put down less than 365 stock. the g8 is givin up about 400 pounds so it would have to have at least 405-410 at the wheels to make it even. just my opinion but id say its pretty close.

I think its pretty safe to say that the driver was beat, not the car;). Most folks in this thread are saying the same thing. For a family sedan, it moves ok.

Mika

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
1.13 per day
Trader Rating: (10) Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeInNePa
Why's it funny?

2008 Pontiac G8GT

Vararam CAI, ARH longtubes, high-flow cats, x-pipe, ported throttle body, ported intake, dyno tune, Yank 3200 stall converter, MT ET Streets, poly bushings, coil-overs

DA -89 @ Island Dragway

12.420 @ 111.04, 1.75 60'

well i watched a g8 gt run a 14.8 and a 14.9 back to back trapping 96ish
then a gt500 hit a 13.4 106 back to back

welcome to 5000 feet with a DA of 7300

Last edited:

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Fenix I agree with most of what you said, and you do seem like a pretty reasonable guy. However, even though the vette may have been tuned properly for that shot that doesn't mean the owner used it responsibly or other hardware not related to the stock engine didn't mess up. Sometimes shit does happen even in fairly strong engines but honestly a LS2 should be able to take a 150 wetshot all day long without hiccup if it is tuned correctly, setup correctly, and used correctly. That Vette seems more the exception than the rule when it comes to serving as an example of how long most Gen IV LSx engines will last on power adders. I have been a Ford guy for a long time now. But I will be the first one to admit that I was shocked as all hell just what kind of power the GM guys were putting down through their stocker engines. It was significantly more than I used to assume. They aren't gods gift to engines but they sure as heck can hold some damn good power when setup and tuned right.

I prefer to overbuild things too in most of my vehicles. That is why my Exploder has all billet internals even though I don't really plan to push 1,000+ hp with it. It's just nice to have that extra safety net. I consider pushing 600rwhp with a rock solid tune and a little meth injection to be pretty reliable for a stock LSx engine with just upgraded connecting rod hardware and valvetrain components. When I have enough money I eventually plan to build the bottom end along with the tranny and shove about 14-16 psi boost through the intake. That might be a little while from now. :beer:

I hear ya. Sounds like you got big plans for that G8. :) Im not a GM fan(save for vettes). Dont get me wrong tho, I do like the G8s. So much better than the GTO's.....the GTO was such a letdown. The G8 is a nice sedan that I just prefer to see in my rearview mirror. :) Of course considering that Im just "barely" ;-) modded its not really fair.

I just need a fuel system and a whipple 2.3 for me to see 700+ hp but alas thats a ways off. :shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread