GAP Insurance Warning

Logan2003Cobra

Established Member
While I can't say if this is normal practice for GAP Insurance companies, this is specifically to warn people about doing business with the GAP company "Easy Care".

My family lost all of our vehicles and most of our personal belongings as a result of Hurricane Harvey last year and it took OVER A YEAR for Easy Care to cut a check to my lien holder for the outstanding balance on my truck.

I had to go back and forth between Easy Care, my lien holder, and my insurance company to provide Easy Care with the documentation they were asking for but let me be clear that my insurance company and lien holder would ALWAYS provide what was asked, it was Easy Care who would sit on the documentation for months and never communicate to anyone whether they had received the information, if the information was correct, or if there was anything else they were looking for.

I eventually had to request copies of all required documentation from my lien holder and insurance company so that I could email it to Easy Care as proof of delivery so they couldn't claim they never received it (which they had been doing for over 8 months).

On a side note, they requested additional funds from my insurance company for "options" that weren't included on the settlement documentation even though they were in fact included, just under different names... see examples below.

Example 1: Chevy uses some fancy name for their base stereo system and even though my insurance company paid more for the "Stereo w- CD Player" than the cost of the stereo itself, Easy Care still wouldn't settle until they got more money from my insurance company.

Example 2: My insurance company listed OnStar as part of the included equipment but Easy Care demanded more money for "Navigation" even though the truck didn't have Navigation... why you ask, because the dealer invoice identifies "turn-by-turn Navigation" as one of the OnStar features.

My insurance company rolled over and cut another $1000 check but Easy Care still wasn't done... they looked through my entire payment history, noted any payment that was even ONE day past due, calculated the accrued interest, and refused to pay that amount. It didn't matter that I always made payments for more than the amount due (in the even of a late payment), or that my account was current and owing less than the minimum payment due... it was just another excuse for them to pay as little as possible.

So in summary, heaven forbid you get your entire life turned upside-down by a natural disaster, rest assured that not so "Easy" Care will make your life even more difficult.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Good lord, glad you finally got made whole and thank you for the heads up on "easy care". We survived Harvey relatively unscathed, but many friends, neighbors did not (Cypress area, real close to the creek). I still feel very fortunate and lucky on that one.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They're a terrible company. A local GM dealer used to use them and more or less got chased out of town over a few claims after a tornado.

I'm sorry for your trouble.

Blown38

Established Member
Not sure what company we had, but the resending of documentation all the time and taking a couple months to pay sounds the same. Ours was just an on road accident, got rear ended.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
This is pretty crappy and I'm sorry you dealt with this BS.

Thanks for passing the word on. Hopefully it spreads.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
sorry in advance....:D

let-us-make-sure-youre-covered-bigrob-entertainment-provided-the-meme-122719.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread