Gas Cap / CEL Came On

NukeX

My Shit Got Keyed, Yo
Established Member
Ok so I woke up this morning to goto work, hop in start the car and I notice that the CEL and my Low fuel light is on. I just filled the tank full before I put it in the garage the previous night. I also notice that my gas gauge is showing below empty. So I pull over a few blocks up the street and leave the car running and undo the gas cap and the engine dies (maybe it's supposed to do that with an open gas cap, I dont know)

Ok So I re-tighten the gas cap and get back in start it up and the low fuel light is off and my gas gauge is working fine but the CEL is still on. Do I need to have the code cleared or will it clear itself once the issue is resolved meaning there is still an outstanding issue?

Car ran great last night all the way into the garage.

Any info about the CEL clearing or me having to get it cleared would be appreciated. Thanks!!

-Steve

03DOHC

Established Member
You can clear the code by disconnecting the battery, but I do believe the CEL will go out after a while.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by NukeX
So I pull over a few blocks up the street and leave the car running and undo the gas cap and the engine dies (maybe it's supposed to do that with an open gas cap, I dont know)

-Steve

Also, yes it's supposed to do that. You're not supposed to remove the gas cap with the car running.

sonic cobra

Established Member
I had similar issues, you can run the diagnostics through the odometer and it will give you some indication. Mine said open circuit from fuel sender. Long story short - dealer replaced the sender unit in gas tank and all has been well ever since
The rest of the story is, they kept the car for a week and threatened to go behind the dash board cause they could't find the problem. I bitched about that and the next day they said they were 90% sure it was the fuel sender so they decided to see if that worked.Page 2: Ever since then I get a slight pop from the back when I make hard left turn. Never had it before, I think they messed something up when they dropped the fuel tank to change the sender

Users who are viewing this thread