Gas Guzzler tax question

Voice of Reason

Established Member
I'm finalizing the deal now for my '03 Cobra and have a quesiton about the gas guzzler tax. Do I have to pay sales tax on the gas guzzler tax? If so that almost seems like double taxation. I'm waiting for my sales person to fax me the final numbers and breakdown but thought I would ask what others saw when they bought theirs. Thanks.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
The guzzler tax is built into the invoice price so you do pay tax on this tax.

It helps the world go 'round.

:D

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Think of it this way, you paid tax on the money your earned, so it's only logical that they woult tax and re-tax what's left when you spend it. You are supporting many lazy people and politicians.

Voice of Reason

Established Member
Ahh, makes perfect sense. I guess if we weren't taxed on things at least 3-4 times we wouldn't be in America...

I still find it amazing that this car has a GG tax on it while countless SUVs with worse MPG ratings are sold every day with nothing added at all. Oh well... :)

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Voice of Reason
Ahh, makes perfect sense. I guess if we weren't taxed on things at least 3-4 times we wouldn't be in America...

I still find it amazing that this car has a GG tax on it while countless SUVs with worse MPG ratings are sold every day with nothing added at all. Oh well... :)

Yeah, that's BS. :gt:

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Originally posted by Voice of Reason

If you think our tax in America is bad, you should see what they pay in other countries in Europe and elsewhere....

Why do you think everyone immigrates here???

You are better off than you think.

:beer:

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Yeah this crap is BS. Gas Guzzler tax>??? I mean come on. We pay out our azz's so everyone else lives the easy life. My Lightning didn't have a GG tax. Taxation sucks but we have to deal with it. -Mat-

PhillyCobra

Established Member
To me the really pissy issue is that we pay a gas guzzler tax on a car that gets better mileage than an Explorer, or any number of other SUV's, which have no such tax.

Did you see in the latest Power initial quality ratings that the Hummer H2 had the highest number of complaints of any vehicle, most of which were people complaining that it got lousy gas mileage!!! The Hummer's so heavy it doesn't need to have a CAFE sticker, and people who bought it were surprised when they got 9 MPG!!!

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by SVT F15O
Yeah this crap is BS. Gas Guzzler tax>??? I mean come on. We pay out our azz's so everyone else lives the easy life. My Lightning didn't have a GG tax. Taxation sucks but we have to deal with it. -Mat-

Actually, the 2002 Lightning almost made the "guzzler" list. I was talking with a guy from SVT last year who told me the 2002 was slated for a new 3.91:1 rear gear ratio, but when they put it all together, the fuel mileage was a tad too low, so they settled on the 3.73:1

So for what it's worth, those of us who bought Lightnings got a bargain!!:beer:

Sin

Established Member
I was lucky to get it waived by getting an additional 1000 off sticker.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Don't think trucks can be hit with gas guzzler tax. Ford, however, needs to meet CAFE standards for its overall fleet of light trucks. Vehicles as big as an Excursion or Hummer don't count in that calculation though, I think.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by PhillyCobra
Don't think trucks can be hit with gas guzzler tax. Ford, however, needs to meet CAFE standards for its overall fleet of light trucks. Vehicles as big as an Excursion or Hummer don't count in that calculation though, I think.
I was just going to say the same thing. If the Explorers/Blazers were considered passenger cars they would get hit with the gas guzzler tax. But they're considered trucks so I believe they bypass the tax.
:rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread