Gas mpg's not so good with conservative driving, why?

Bushguts

Established Member
I have a 2013 5.0. Its a 6spd. I know the car is supposed to get 15 city, 21hwy, but just driving conservatively I have been averaging 12-14 city, and 17-19 hwy. I only have 500 miles on the car and I'm running 93 gas. Will the mpg's get better as the miles rack up or is this as good as it gets? I would think that even running hard through 1st and 2nd gear at times wouldn't gulp the gas like that.

When I had my Honda Civic Si I could redline it everywhere I went as much as I wanted to and I would still get 21mpg's in the city being supercharged. I know this isn't a Honda but I would think that all cars today base their final mpg #'s while doing a little spirited driving.

Is it just me or is this the way its going to be?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It just depends on how you drive it..

I drove a 2012 5.0 165 miles to my lake house and back. On the way there I was just cruising and averaged 24 for the entire trip (90% highway), and on the way back I averaged 16.

Mustang_02

Established Member
More miles should net you better mpg. I avg 22 between 75% highway and 25% city. On only highway I'm near 26 to 28. It all depends on when you shift and what rpm you're in while driving. Stepping on the go fast pedal doesn't help either.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
What RPMs do you shift at when driving "conservatively"?

Lowest I have seen in city driving is 14.x on the dash, and that was some pretty spirited driving. Car has 3300 on it now, and it definitely has gotten a little better over the past month since I've had it, but that just seems WAY too damn low for Hwy MPG...

I drove 300+ miles yesterday from Texas Gulf to Fort Worth, driving avg 70 MPH back roads with hills and small towns and dash reads 24.6 as of this morning...

mhyjek

Established Member
I have a 2013 5.0. Its a 6spd. I know the car is supposed to get 15 city, 21hwy, but just driving conservatively I have been averaging 12-14 city, and 17-19 hwy. I only have 500 miles on the car and I'm running 93 gas. Will the mpg's get better as the miles rack up or is this as good as it gets? I would think that even running hard through 1st and 2nd gear at times wouldn't gulp the gas like that.

When I had my Honda Civic Si I could redline it everywhere I went as much as I wanted to and I would still get 21mpg's in the city being supercharged. I know this isn't a Honda but I would think that all cars today base their final mpg #'s while doing a little spirited driving.

Is it a manual ? And if yes what gears are in the rear? I have 13 and when it had no mods with 800 miles and up I average 19 in town 25 on the highways but I had to keep it at 75 or less I have 3.73 gears with - manual

ViciousJay

Established Member
i cant get better then a 15.5 on my '13 totally stock, but got 20+ on my modded '11.

i really wondering if i do have an exhaust leak and the car is dumping fuel, maybe i need to do a KAM reset. I also took a 400 mile round trip a few weeks ago and got a best 22 mpg with the a/c on low cruising at 80mph

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
i cant get better then a 15.5 on my '13 totally stock, but got 20+ on my modded '11.

i really wondering if i do have an exhaust leak and the car is dumping fuel, maybe i need to do a KAM reset. I also took a 400 mile round trip a few weeks ago and got a best 22 mpg witht eh a/c on low cruising at 80mph
3.73s? That is low even if it is a 3.73 car.

Actually, low period.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
21-22mpg daily commute(75%highway but heavy traffic with a lot of stop and go so basicly city type driving).

Just took a 550 mile trip over the weekend and got 26.8mpg over and 25.5mpg back, that is going over 3 mountain passes. Best mpg I have gotten is 29.6mpg driving on the flat on the highway @79mph cruiseing for about 100 miles round trip.

Bushguts

Established Member
More specs on the car would help as mhyjek said.

6spd with 19's and 3.73's. I also noticed that my dash calculator isn't accurate. It was saying I had 23 miles left and I filled the tank and it took only 14 gal.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
right now i get like 12mpg and i shift at like 1800 and never get over 4th and the highest speed limit here on post is 35mph (i never leave post during the week). i live about a mile from my work so the crappy mpg is due to all the start ups and not driving very far. so take into consideration that you use more gas on start up, then figure in how far you drive between start ups.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
6spd with 19's and 3.73's. I also noticed that my dash calculator isn't accurate. It was saying I had 23 miles left and I filled the tank and it took only 14 gal.
Not sure if you thought these have bigger tanks, but 14 gals is damn near empty in a 16 gal tank. Cars typically have 1-2 gallons in "reserve" that you really have left to burn after hitting E. That's how my truck was, and both my parents vehicles.

You should never put anymore than 14.5-15 gallons in your car on a completely full fillup, even if you're on, or slightly below, E.

right now i get like 12mpg and i shift at like 1800 and never get over 4th and the highest speed limit here on post is 35mph (i never leave post during the week). i live about a mile from my work so the crappy mpg is due to all the start ups and not driving very far. so take into consideration that you use more gas on start up, then figure in how far you drive between start ups.
^^This +1.

No matter how great of mileage you get on a car, if you don't drive enough distance to utilize the full MPG the car can get, then those are just lost miles/gallons in startups. When I worked in Ft. Worth and lived in Arlington, I only avg'd 17 on a tank, because I was only driving 14-15 miles all hwy, therefore not even using a full gallon.

Adam03GT

Established Member
Hopefully it will get better with more miles. My '12 gets 25-29 on highway and never dips below 19 in city. Hell i get 17 driving the crap out of it!

ViciousJay

Established Member
3.73s? That is low even if it is a 3.73 car.

Actually, low period.

yep with 3.73's...

im really beginning to regret this '13 car

also on a side topic somehow the passenger speaker is blown :shrug: im really getting fed up with this car

460cidpower

Established Member

In my '13 w/ six speed + Brembo 19" wheels and 3.73 gears I got 19 MPG during the first 1,000 miles. After that, I get a solid 20-21 MPG. ( Ive got 2,500 miles on her now) I shift at ~1,600 RPM for the first four gears and 2,000 RPM for fifth, due to how high 6th gear is. My car lives at 60MPH for 25 miles (2,000 RPM) each way to work, with no stoplights or many turns.

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
I only have 500 miles on the car and I'm running 93 gas. Will the mpg's get better as the miles rack up or is this as good as it gets?
From the '13 owners manual:

"Calculating fuel economy
Do not measure fuel economy during the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of
driving (this is your engine’s break-in period); a more accurate
measurement is obtained after 2,000 miles–3,000 miles (3,200 km–4,800
km). Also, fuel expense, frequency of fill-ups or fuel gauge readings are
not accurate ways to measure fuel economy.
1. Fill the fuel tank completely and record the initial odometer reading.
2. Each time you fill the tank, record the amount of fuel added.
3. After at least three to five tank fill-ups, fill the fuel tank and record
the current odometer reading.
4. Subtract your initial odometer reading from the current odometer reading.
5. Calculate fuel economy as follows:
Standard: Divide miles traveled by gallons used.
Metric: Multiply liters used by 100, then divide by kilometers traveled."

Users who are viewing this thread