Gas strut hood lift kit installed, DUW

hardhit99

Established Member
The whole install took about 30 minutes and was very easy. The kit was $60.00 shipped from www.redlinetuning.com. The quality seems great and the struts work very well. Overall i'm really happy with it, and it was money well spent.

hood1.jpg

hood2.jpg

hood3.jpg

hood4.jpg

hood5.jpg

hardhit99

Established Member
Originally posted by 03cobrablack
So does the hood close without dropping it from halfway down with those on?

my hood seems to close a little easier, but that may be due to the removal of the prop rod or it may be in my head. I give my hood a little push closed when it is about a foot up and it usually closes. Sometimes i need to try twice to get it closed.

hardhit99

Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Isn't it time to take down the Christmas snowman? ;)

Yea i meant to edit that out lol. A few friends of mine got drunk a couple of nights ago and took that stuff out of someones garbage, set it up on my lawn, and took pictures with it. Go figure, i get stuck with the weird friends :-D ;-). I'll post the pictures in a little while.

hardhit99

Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake
Those look good. I got in on the group purchase for $49.99. Hope they work......

Yea, these were $49.95 plus $9.50 shipping. I just rounded to $60.00. Not from the group purchase though.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I like the idea, but they look akward to me. They stand out too much. Maybe if they looked a bit more factory. I guess you could paint the mounting brackets to match the body color.

SNAKESWINGER

Established Member
Yeah they dont look right to me either. It just looks like another under $100 widget that the shade tree mechanic can bolt on in his driveway and say "look my car is customized, I'm entering the car show this weekend, think I'll win" ( grill mesh,euro lights,big aluminum wing,all in the same category)

Matt M PA

Established Member
I think they are a good idea, but I would have a concern about the possibility of warping the hood.

Dodge Challenger T/As and Cuda AAR hoods are fiberglass and many warped from being closed with the spring tension against them.

Maybe this is not an issue with the Cobras or this design.

lethal

Established Member
Originally posted by SNAKESWINGER
Yeah they dont look right to me either. It just looks like another under $100 widget that the shade tree mechanic can bolt on in his driveway and say "look my car is customized, I'm entering the car show this weekend, think I'll win" ( grill mesh,euro lights,big aluminum wing,all in the same category)

I'm doing it because of the function and I like them. My car will never be in a show, I don't care how they look.

John

Last edited:

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member

HaHa. I think you went a little far there. But you certainly not gonna catch those things on my car. They are pretty ugly. No offense and I am not trying to be harsh but they look very awkward(sp) to me. To each his own. -Mat-

hardhit99

Established Member

They aren't for looks, i don't show my car and i don't really care if people think the hardware under my hood is ugly. Who really would unless you were building a show car? I don't really consider hood struts "customization". It's just an easier way to get the hood up and to stay up.

Originally posted by Matt M, PA
I think they are a good idea, but I would have a concern about the possibility of warping the hood.

Dodge Challenger T/As and Cuda AAR hoods are fiberglass and many warped from being closed with the spring tension against them.

Maybe this is not an issue with the Cobras or this design.

I wouldn't worry about it warping. The brackets are mounted to the hood reinforcement structure. Not to mention, the struts aren't pushing up on the hood when it is closed. The force of the struts is pushing out towards the front of the car when the hood is down which couldn't really cause warping even on a hood that was not reinforced.

Ford claims that they do not use hood lifts on the Mustang because the hood is fiberglass and it can crack, but that wasn't a big concern to me especially since the brackets are mounted to the structure, not to the hood itself.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
What, you guys think the prop rod looks better? :rolleyes:

I think the fact the shiny side of the rod is up instead of down makes it stand out too much.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I guess there always has to be someone to knock what someone else put time and money into. What is that all about? A need to be noticed or get some attention? Jeez! :nonono:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hardhit99, nice install by the way. Looks great. I prefer my old fashioned prop rod but your setup will definitely prevent the hood from accidentally closing. And isn't that mainly what it's for? Thanks for the pic.
:beer:

hardhit99

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Hardhit99, nice install by the way. Looks great. I prefer my old fashioned prop rod but your setup will definitely prevent the hood from accidentally closing. And isn't that mainly what it's for? Thanks for the pic.
:beer:

Thanks for the compliments :).

Users who are viewing this thread