Gas strut hood lift kit installed, DUW

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any time my friend. By the way, I see that you did the hood mod. How has it worked for you?

hardhit99

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Any time my friend. By the way, I see that you did the hood mod. How has it worked for you?

The hood mod seems cool. I don't think that it makes any kind of noticeable difference in anything though. I do feel more heat escaping through the vents when the car is hot, and i am sure more heat is getting out, but as for whether there is a performance increase with that mod i would have to say no. Any heat escaping can't hurt though. The only downside of the mod is that more water gets into the engine compartment, but the water falls in front of the engine so it really makes no difference. Also when you are at cruising speeds i doubt it makes much of a difference at all, although i could be wrong. I think for the most part, it just looks cooler when the hood is up to be able to see the vents. I still have to seal the edges up, but i have to find something to seal them with first.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Anyone who works under the hood knows how handy this mod really is. That freaking prop gets in the way all the time. It is a subtle improvement in the car, but definitely an improvement.

bunk22

Established Member
I had them on my old 95GTS and they worked great. Your install looks really good, so good that I'm going to go ahead and add them to my 03 Cobra. They are really effective too, making it so much easier to work on or clean the engine.

hardhit99

Established Member
Originally posted by bunk22
I had them on my old 95GTS and they worked great. Your install looks really good, so good that I'm going to go ahead and add them to my 03 Cobra. They are really effective too, making it so much easier to work on or clean the engine.

thanks a lot! They do make it a lot easier to access the engine without the prop in the way. Like i said, i would go with the www.redlinetuning.com kit. Their kit uses a smaller, cleaner looking hood bracket, and they also use rivets to attach to the hood which eliminates having to cut a hole in your hood like the group buy kit. Check ebay before you order, a lot of times they ebay the kits for about $10 less then they sell them on the site for which makes it an awesome deal.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The setup might look better if the brackets were painted the same color as the hood and fenders.
The difference is what catches your eye.

I like the idea, just don't like poking holes in the plastic hood.

Dana

hardhit99

Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
The setup might look better if the brackets were painted the same color as the hood and fenders.
The difference is what catches your eye.

I like the idea, just don't like poking holes in the plastic hood.

Dana

yea i might paint the brackets top and bottom. I thought the silver would stand out nicely, but it doesn't. Don't get me wrong, i think it looks good, i just think it could look better painted black.

a94cobra

Established Member
A question about the different kits. The kit from Redline has the shocks with the shiny side up. The shocks from IST have the shiny side down. And in thier instructions it says to only mount them this way.

Is there a real reason to either way?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Originally posted by hardhit99
thanks a lot! They do make it a lot easier to access the engine without the prop in the way. Like i said, i would go with the www.redlinetuning.com kit. Their kit uses a smaller, cleaner looking hood bracket, and they also use rivets to attach to the hood which eliminates having to cut a hole in your hood like the group buy kit. Check ebay before you order, a lot of times they ebay the kits for about $10 less then they sell them on the site for which makes it an awesome deal.
I don't like the idea of blind rivits. The hood is fiberglass and needs a washer on the inside for added strength.

As far as making holes in the hood, they are on the inside and hidden by the hood blanket (unless you took yours off completely).

The struts are reversible, and it shouldn't make any difference whether the shiny side is up or down. However, the strut part might have the most force on it, so putting it on the fender (shiny side up) makes some sense. Then again, the difference in sheer force between the 2 sides should be negligable (college physics starts to kick in from a LONGGGGGG time ago). IMO, place them the way you like best.

Finally, with this mod, you can open the hood with one hand (so you don't have to put that qt. of oil down first so you can set the prop rod). That alone makes it worth the price.

Users who are viewing this thread