Gatorback whistle?

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
Okay, so I installed the Gatorback belt. Stock pulley and everything. I don't get that Gatorback whistle I hoped for and instead I get the "gator-quiet operation". What gives? :(

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
kaboom said:
Throw a non slip pully on there it will be sweet music..
But I thought I should get it with the stock pulley too?

I'm not changing pulleys anytime soon. Warranty. :bored:

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
Mike_Hawk said:
But I thought I should get it with the stock pulley too?

I'm not changing pulleys anytime soon. Warranty. :bored:

I had a 2.76 on mine and that bad boy whistled. Not too loud, but loud enough for me to hear in the car.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
Yeah, I have the 2.8 and it sounds cool. Sounds almost like a V2-S-trim, in a sense.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
WhippleCharged Sonic said:
I had a 2.76 on mine and that bad boy whistled. Not too loud, but loud enough for me to hear in the car.
I totally agree with what you said. And therein lies the problem maybe. Some state that the whine is as loud as a PC. Not true. I used Gatorbacks for almost a year and while the whine is noticeable in the cabin, it is muted for sure. Nowhere near the loudness of a PC. So if people are expected a LOUD whine they're going to be disappointed. Mine, by the way, was used with both 2.90 and 2.80 Reichard Racing non-slip pullies.

If you're hearing a bit of whine that's about all you're going to get. If you want a serious whine go for a cog setup or a ProCharger. LOL!

SALEENGTROUSH

who wants to race ?
Established Member
um ur not gonna get ANY whistle with the stock pulley... slap the 2.8 non slip on there with the gatorback.... THEN ull get the whistle... i love it, u can hear it nicely, especially with the hood vents open!!!... but i still rather have the cog system so i can have extreme whistling :bowdown:

edit: u might get some whistle if u buy like 1 size smaller belt and squeeze it on there :shrug:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Are you sure that you need a non-slip pulley to hear a whistle from a Gatorback? I could swear I've read many posts from those running regular aftermarket pullies and they get a whistle. If that is true then the stock pulley should produce a whistle as well. Comments?

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
I had the whistle with a regular "slip" 3.2 pulley. Like you said bob its no where near as loud as a procharger but louder than stock.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Jeff, I'll also add that the muted whistle was so sweet that I almost never turned on the radio. :)

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
Bob, I did the same. I'm gonna get one for my kenne bell and hope for the same results when the weather gets better. On a side note I just ordered your shifter gasket for my new MGW shifter that I will install again when the weather gets better. Even before it gets here I want to thank you!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
03ShadowCobra said:
Bob, I did the same. I'm gonna get one for my kenne bell and hope for the same results when the weather gets better. On a side note I just ordered your shifter gasket for my new MGW shifter that I will install again when the weather gets better. Even before it gets here I want to thank you!!
I did get the order. It will mail out first thing in the morning. :)

Screamin'SVT

Banned
I had one on my stock pulley and it definately whistled.. loud enough for me to hear w/ the windows up.. also, I heard that gatorback + some non-slips = chewed belt. Never tried it firsthand though, but I went with a Gates with my non-slip just to be safe.

mattz03svt

Just a normal poster
Established Member
Screamin' SVT what was the belt #? Maybe they have revised the Gatorback belts for quiet operation? :xpl:

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
mattz2000gt said:
Screamin' SVT what was the belt #? Maybe they have revised the Gatorback belts for quiet operation? :xpl:
4080750 is what I used and what was recommended.

jpicc

Established Member
I still have the stock pulley with a gatorback belt. Mine diffently makes noise, you can hear it in the car and coming down the road.

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
jpicc said:
I still have the stock pulley with a gatorback belt. Mine diffently makes noise, you can hear it in the car and coming down the road.
Drove the car around more today. It's still as quiet as it used to be :(

ALA G8R

Banned
Mike_Hawk said:
Drove the car around more today. It's still as quiet as it used to be :(

Obviously a defective belt. Take it back and tell them you want an exchange because it doesn't whistle.

j/k ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread