Gauges are in!!

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
Well, I finished painting the Auto Meter pod...excellent match, and got the Lunar series installed. I have from top to bottom: Boost, Water/Trans. temp, and oil pressure. Yes, I wired the water temp gauge to a switch that toggles between the water and trans fluid temp senders. I also wired the gauge lighting to the stock dimmer switch..sweet!! I think it came out pretty clean. Tell me what you think!! :beer:

102oj.jpg

112ij.jpg

sacer6

Established Member
Very nice set-up, what it take extra to have trans/water on same gauge, and the dimmer functional?

Silver04L

93 Octane Member
Established Member
there's a write up I think floating around here, or someone's got a write up in a PDF format, I forget who. For the dimmer, just tap the wire for the gauge's light into the red/lightblue wire behind the head light switch

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
Silver04L said:
For the dimmer, just tap the wire for the gauge's light into the red/lightblue wire behind the head light switch
Yep, and to make the water temp alternate between water/trans, just buy another $10-$12 sending unit kit from Summit or wherever, and plumb it into the thread hole in the driver side of the tranny, about 6 inches in front of the shift linkage. Run the wires from both the water and trans temp units to a 3 prong switch, then from the middle prong of the switch to the gauge. Now, you can switch back and forth all while using one gauge!! :thumbsup:

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
Here's a pic I got off of Tim Skelton's site. It shows what wire to tap into behind the dimmer. (NOT the big wire...the little one that has the writing on it.)
headlighttap7vz.jpg

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
I did mine the same except i used 2 switches and have a tranny, coolant and oil temp set up and 3 led's so i know what one the guage is reading. I just have to tap the pan for that sending unit and find a spot for the water.

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
lightninmike said:
I did mine the same except i used 2 switches and have a tranny, coolant and oil temp set up and 3 led's so i know what one the guage is reading. I just have to tap the pan for that sending unit and find a spot for the water.
The spot for the water temp is right above the oil filter on the engine block. There will be a plug that you remove to put the sender in. BEWARE...crack open the coolant cap to let the pressure out of the system and then put it back on tight to keep a vacuum. It will still pour out of the hole though, so prepare yourself so you don't take a bath in coolant. :thumbsup:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
yeah but that spot is taken by the sender for the e-fan and you cant use that one for the guage. so............. either i have to find another plug to pull out or tap the thermo housing

Users who are viewing this thread