gear brands

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Gears, regardless of brand, shouldn't make noise if they're set up right. I had genuine FRPP (before outsourced to Motive) 4.30's that were installed like shit and they HOWLED. I now have Motive 4.30's and they are silent even with aluminum bushings.

vnmous01

Established Member
I have Motive 4.30's and I did hear an increase of rear end noise since I got them. It's not terrible but noticeable, only on deceleration in 4th or 5th do I hear some howl. I agree it has to do with the install but I took mine to a reputable shop and still have some noise so I dunno :shrug:

bsmith782

RANDY WATSON!
Established Member
I have frpp 4.10's and they are quieter then my stock 3.27's. Its all about the install.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i'd say just get the ford ones. it's not something you want to have to do again...

also, did something change with the ford and motive gears recently? i have set up both brands and they most definitely weren't the same as of a year or so ago. there were a lot of physical differences and the motive ones seemed harder to get right.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
I have seen 4.10's installed perfectly that were noisy.
It is not ALWAYS about the install.
Some ring gears might still have pitch line runout. (ring gear not "round")

Iluvatar

Txyaloo scares me
Established Member
I have FRPP 4.10's and have no noise. I chose FRPP over Motive because the price difference was only 10-20 dollars. Even if Motive does make the FRPP, I had heard so may stories about Motive gears whining...I'd rather just spend an extra $10.

b-radfromtheva

N.O.S.
Established Member
thanx yet again everybody, there isn't a large community of experienced cobra guys around my way, i got my help last time on the cai/rai question and now ya come thru for me again, think i'm just gonna get the ford racing 4.30s(even know i love interstate)

Bite Me

Established Member
FRPP does not make the 4.30's. They stop at 4.10's. I have "FRPP" 4.30's and they whine in 3rd and 4th.......we havent decided if its the gears or my tranny noise coming through the aluminum bushings, but regardless you run the risk of whine with 4.30's.

If you want a quiet car get a lexus, if you want something fast get 4.30s and turn up the music.

bsmith782

RANDY WATSON!
Established Member
If it was the gears it wouldn't matter what gear you were in. Your tranny is the culprit there.

FRPP does not make the 4.30's. They stop at 4.10's. I have "FRPP" 4.30's and they whine in 3rd and 4th.......we havent decided if its the gears or my tranny noise coming through the aluminum bushings, but regardless you run the risk of whine with 4.30's.

If you want a quiet car get a lexus, if you want something fast get 4.30s and turn up the music.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
Gears, regardless of brand, shouldn't make noise if they're set up right. I had genuine FRPP (before outsourced to Motive) 4.30's that were installed like shit and they HOWLED. I now have Motive 4.30's and they are silent even with aluminum bushings.

+1 ^^^ he speaketh the truth...I am running Motive 4.30's as well and not a peep out of them.

Bite Me

Established Member
If it was the gears it wouldn't matter what gear you were in. Your tranny is the culprit there.

That was what we were thinking as well. 4th gear was always noisy with my tranny, so I just assumed it was tranny noise and not gear whine. We will find out once I destroy this transmission, the way its acting it will happen sooner than later.

vnmous01

Established Member
^ I have the exact same problem, my gears only whine in 4th and 5th. I figured it had to be the tranny also if it only did it in certain gears. Guess that means a T-56 in the future

Users who are viewing this thread