Gear Whine response from Ford...

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Hey guys, it was mentioned some time back of a few people hearing some slight whine from their gears at different speeds. In my case I could hear the gears mostly between 5th and 6th gears when cruising above 70mph. Now the car itself shows no signs of any issues driving. Its strong, comfortable, fast as shit....just a great car. But for piece of mind I left the car there yesterday and picked it up today. The service guys treated me well, confirmed he could hear the whine when he test drove it and they submitted that info to Ford so they could recommend action if any, here is the response:

20121002_162208.jpg

The reason im posting this is for anyone else who might hear some whine and want to get it checked. Now my car is lowered and I did hear it more once I did that, so that part of the explanation is plausible. I also am experiencing no issues with the car, so at this point I will go along with it. I made sure the service check was documented, should anything happen in the future.

So my solution to all this is simple: proceed with my plans to continue to address handling, going to place my order for the AMSoil products( engine oil, trans, diff along with friction modifier)along with the easiest and most fun fix, A LOUDER EXHAUST! :burnout:

Anyway hope this helps any of you guys so you are not surprised, by all means take it in if you have any concerns. Also happy to report that after 2050 miles, I absolutely love this car!:rockon:

Last edited:

peteypab2133

Established Member
and the car just started getting gear whine when it was lowered on springs lol..

That was well documented for them too. This way they can say hey, we knew about the springs, no warranty can be concluded lol

But thats cool you did that.. Mine has gear chatter in gears under acceleration

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Did you do aftermarket control arms or panhard bar? Poly or spherical bearing joints will transmit a lot more noise into the interior of the car.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
It does have a BMR panhard...have not put the Bobs LCA's I have yet

That's most likely the reason you heard it after the suspension install. The harder bushings in the panhard bar are transmitting the normal noises into the car. There's a reason Ford went with huge rubber bushings in the control arms and the stock pan hard bar. I've had several cars that have gotten significantly louder with aftermarket control arms. When you install the control arms you will probably get a bit more noise. I would not worry unless the whine gets louder/worse over time. Plus chances are it would get worse if they tried to fix it.

Zeroescence

Established Member
hey im trying to save others the headache you biatch! and where have you been? hanging with those ricers again? :rolling:

Ahhh your so sweet. I think you just need to swap to 3.73's and call it good. I've been busy with work and not a lot of time to check the forums during the day, which was most of my posts.

I'll tell you one thing, my Cobra loves the taste of rice. :D

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Ahhh your so sweet. I think you just need to swap to 3.73's and call it good. I've been busy with work and not a lot of time to check the forums during the day, which was most of my posts.

I'll tell you one thing, my Cobra loves the taste of rice. :D

I have some 3.73's already which will go in the car in the future...for now suspension and aesthetics only

I prefer a lil lo mein with my rice too! :pepper:

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
and the car just started getting gear whine when it was lowered on springs lol..

That was well documented for them too. This way they can say hey, we knew about the springs, no warranty can be concluded lol

But thats cool you did that.. Mine has gear chatter in gears under acceleration

This confirms why I went with the FRPP lowering springs. If Ford wants to complain about anything having to do with my "lowered suspension" causing a problem I'll be happy to point at their own part number! :poke:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Well its good to know. Devious get those parts in man ! Hell bring it to our shop and I'll help ya ! The LCA's will make a HUGE difference. The 3.73's though...your on your own ! I hate gears.......

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
My rear end whined from day one. Ford put another set of gears in the car....whine went away for a day....back worse the next day.

Speed_Addict

Established Member
My GT-R has so much gear/transmission noise that I don't even here the gears in the Shelby. They probably whine, but I don't even notice it seems so much quieter than the GT-R. I could daily drive the Shelby, but I couldn't my tuned/exhaust GT-R.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
This confirms why I went with the FRPP lowering springs. If Ford wants to complain about anything having to do with my "lowered suspension" causing a problem I'll be happy to point at their own part number! :poke:

How far to the left has your rear end shifted using the FRPP / Eibach Springs?

Hey guys, it was mentioned some time back of a few people hearing some slight whine from their gears at different speeds. In my case I could hear the gears mostly between 5th and 6th gears when cruising above 70mph. Now the car itself shows no signs of any issues driving. Its strong, comfortable, fast as shit....just a great car. But for piece of mind I left the car there yesterday and picked it up today. The service guys treated me well, confirmed he could hear the whine when he test drove it and they submitted that info to Ford so they could recommend action if any, here is the response:

20121002_162208.jpg

The reason im posting this is for anyone else who might hear some whine and want to get it checked. Now my car is lowered and I did hear it more once I did that, so that part of the explanation is plausible. I also am experiencing no issues with the car, so at this point I will go along with it. I made sure the service check was documented, should anything happen in the future.

So my solution to all this is simple: proceed with my plans to continue to address handling, going to place my order for the AMSoil products( engine oil, trans, diff along with friction modifier)along with the easiest and most fun fix, A LOUDER EXHAUST! :burnout:

Anyway hope this helps any of you guys so you are not surprised, by all means take it in if you have any concerns. Also happy to report that after 2050 miles, I absolutely love this car!:rockon:

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread