Gears in! Rear end whine out!

gr850

Established Member
Picked up my 2012 today from David Ragen Ford. Had gear whine bad, most notably around 80mph. The tech, Tracy, replaced the ring and pinion along with the bearings. GOOD TO GO!

Of note: Factory backlash was within spec. The wear pattern was in spec. None the less something was amiss. Man, try doing a 7 hr I-75 road trip with whine at 70-80mph.....round trip.

tasdevl

Established Member
Congrats! I hope when I eventually take mine in I won't just get the "they all make that noise" line.. was it so bad that they had no choice but to admit it needed to be fixed? Mine's definitely noisy, but not so bad that it's driving me nuts.. yet.

gr850

Established Member
Congrats! I hope when I eventually take mine in I won't just get the "they all make that noise" line.. was it so bad that they had no choice but to admit it needed to be fixed? Mine's definitely noisy, but not so bad that it's driving me nuts.. yet.

He wasn't sure until he took it out on I-75, which is about 200yds away, and got it to 80 and just cruised under light to no throttle. Said yeh, thats annoying. You could hear it in other gears as well but not really bad. 5th at 65 was very noticeable. 6th at 80..no doubt.

I can post parts list if you want. I have SVTPP 3.73's.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
sounds like you have a good service dept there. I already took my car once and they gave me the "its normal line" so they did not even bother to look. But they admitted hearing the whine....meh whatever. Its not bad since I added modifier but once I get new gears in next year ill make sure its taken care of

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
Mine in shop now, waiting on ring and pinion to come in...mine did the same exact thing. Took it in in Kansas they said its normal come back if it gets louder. I waited a year took it back and they wanted to tear it apart, unfortunately I was moving so couldn't let them. Once I got to new location (WA), took it in, they called ford, replacing ring and pinion, hope it fix it.

groundjet

Established Member
My 2011 is in the shop right now being rebuilt for the third time in 11,000 miles. Along with the gears and bearings they have ordered a new carrier this time:shrug:. The first rebuild was completely quiet but after some spirited driving the noise came back. The second rebuild's noise was just noticable at 60-65mph which soon progressed to loud was bothering my wife's ears at 63 mph. I had to run at 70 mph to keep it acceptably quiet. Love the car but the loud whine on the highway wears us down after an hour or so. We will see if they get rid of it for good this time.

gr850

Established Member
Sorry guys, I had posted the fix prematurely. After about 200-300 miles it came back with a vengeance. In ways this set is worse than the first. Not as loud at 75-80 but more across the spectrum. At about 90 it goes away. I haven't taken it back to the dealer for a couple of reasons. It really makes owning a Shelby distasteful. I simply don't think Ford is interested in a fix.

Groundjet, keep us posted on the outcome. I'm interested in how the new carrier works. I'd like to upgrade to a Torsen but they too, rather the 2013 500's, seem to be getting whine.

Users who are viewing this thread